1/35 Tamiya Matilda

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

STUNNING Rob absolutely STUNNING that has turned out really well, will look great chained on the back of your transporter

Stay safe             Roger

coming from you Roger that is much appreciated. Touch ups done so final gloss tomorrow then weathering - that will start next weekend (good job I have other kits on the go!!!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmm seems to be going towards ruined... grey oil dots added to fade it... next up will be chipping.

49876903533_bf35297277_b.jpg

49877745707_75d928e3ab_b.jpg

49876903983_0b99a1d456_b.jpg

49876903988_6b1ce4916c_b.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good Rob. I do enjoy this stage, always a bit concerned it might go awry but generally it works out for the best.

Plenty of dust pigment helps once the chipping and staining has been done.

:goodjob:

Darryl

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good Rob. I do enjoy this stage, always a bit concerned it might go awry but generally it works out for the best.

Plenty of dust pigment helps once the chipping and staining has been done.

:goodjob:

Darryl

yep, going to try a slightly new dusting process, not scraping the pigments but rubbing the brushes over the surface... but first up chipping

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

yep, going to try a slightly new dusting process, not scraping the pigments but rubbing the brushes over the surface... but first up chipping

Not sure if I follow your method of scraping? so I'll watch with interest.

Don't know if it's the "right way" but I've only brushed them on dry and then sprayed pigment fixer over them. 

5 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Not sure if I follow your method of scraping? so I'll watch with interest.

Don't know if it's the "right way" but I've only brushed them on dry and then sprayed pigment fixer over them. 

normally scrape some to make powder then dust it on - think that goes on too heavy. If I just lightly load the brush by rubbing over the pastel stick then that will work

48 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

normally scrape some to make powder then dust it on - think that goes on too heavy. If I just lightly load the brush by rubbing over the pastel stick then that will work

Of course, I understand. I'm afraid I tend to cheat these days and use a tub of pigment that already comes as a fine powder. 

Looks like it's coming along very nicely Rob.

I really enjoy the weathering stage. It is easy to get carried away though so I try to build it up in layers to keep it in check ( although you will probably think I didn't follow my own advise when you see my Matilda ).

Wayne

thanks all, the more I look at it the more I think it isn't too bad. Will do some chipping next weekend - usual sponge chipping of the portland stone and then grey for the steel...

Nice job that Rob....coming along, I recommend as Darryl said to get into pigments. Not only are they fine, but the one's I have, have a bonding agent in them to help to stick to most surfaces...

...looking forward to final finish and into RFI......

Regards

Simon.

2 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Hi Rob. Great work! I recommend pigments as well. Much easier to work with and to control the results. 

Best,

Nenad

Thanks Nenad, I will have a look - I know the Tamiya pallet type but will see what others are available

• 2 weeks later...

Battered, dusty old Queen of the Desert. Need to paint the tools/spare track, repair the storage rack & light on the turret but she is knackered and beat up (too much perhaps) - did try to think of how a crew might move about (so wear & tear on a "path" to the turret, where crew would sit at the turret hatches or grab things)

49926482626_a8b9f2708a_b.jpg 

49925964513_13a8cca326_b.jpg

49925964528_e57a4f2c8f_b.jpg

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 7

Great look Rob, you've captured the wear and tear of the desert enviroment to a tee. Will look great on the back of your transporter being taken back to base workshops for repair and servicing.

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

sorry to miss this one, it seems like there are quite a few Matidas in the forum ... lol
If I am not mistaken, it seems that you are not very happy with the result that the model shows, (the Caunter, as you told me, I see that it was not problematic because it looks very good), I do not know exactly why, but I know that feeling so annoying ..
With the later worn, it has changed a lot, I do not know if you like it more now, or before, but it is a very elaborate work, perhaps a little more for my taste.
I will really like to see how it ends, because it will be useful to me for what I have to do one day.
Cheers
Francis.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Great look Rob, you've captured the wear and tear of the desert enviroment to a tee. Will look great on the back of your transporter being taken back to base workshops for repair and servicing.

Stay safe           Roger

thanks Roger - it's growing on me and yes loaded on the Scammell will suit it

11 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Rob,

sorry to miss this one, it seems like there are quite a few Matidas in the forum ... lol
If I am not mistaken, it seems that you are not very happy with the result that the model shows, (the Caunter, as you told me, I see that it was not problematic because it looks very good), I do not know exactly why, but I know that feeling so annoying ..
With the later worn, it has changed a lot, I do not know if you like it more now, or before, but it is a very elaborate work, perhaps a little more for my taste.
I will really like to see how it ends, because it will be useful to me for what I have to do one day.
Cheers
Francis.

Thanks Francis, it is growing on me. I am pleased overall, might do a little more dusting on her with pigments to see if that tones it down a little but think I prefer the weathered version

• Like 1

That's coming together really nicely with the weathering. 

Considering what a harsh environment it operated in I think the weathering is very much in keeping. 

One small point for future builds, wouldn't alter this, is the bare metal tends to have a metallic brown hue rather than straight metallic grey. That said, I do like the thought and consistency you've applied to it and the impression you've created of depth of scratch, works really really well.

(Hope you don't mind my suggestion, just from observation of worn and damaged kit).

Great work and one to be dead chuffed with, I would be at least.

:partytime:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

That's coming together really nicely with the weathering. 

Considering what a harsh environment it operated in I think the weathering is very much in keeping. 

One small point for future builds, wouldn't alter this, is the bare metal tends to have a metallic brown hue rather than straight metallic grey. That said, I do like the thought and consistency you've applied to it and the impression you've created of depth of scratch, works really really well.

(Hope you don't mind my suggestion, just from observation of worn and damaged kit).

Great work and one to be dead chuffed with, I would be at least.

:partytime:

Cheers

Darryl 

Darryl, don't mind comments at all. A few of the bigger areas did have some brown added but maybe not enough. Still time to add a little more tho

• Like 1

Now that has the appearance of a tank that has seen plenty of action! Well done Rob, looks like you're nearly there with this one.

Regards

Wayne.

• Like 1