Grumman Guppy - a couple of firsts

NigelC

Hi,

My first attempt at a group build, and my first Sword kit - TBM-3W Guppy (AEW Avenger I discovered - you learn something every day) to be built as an aircraft of the Dutch Navy

20190504-004

Obligatory/customary sprue* shots:

20190504-007

20190504-008

Hmmm - no locating pins ... this should be a new experience. The plastic looks pretty good though.

An update later, I hope ...

*Yes, I know that's not really what they are called, thanks to the incredibly informative guide that I'm afraid I can't find at the moment, but 40 year old habits die hard.

• Like 6

welcome along to your first GB and what a great and different choice!!

She is an interesting, unusual and sort of forgotten about version of the Avenger, really nice to see.

Looks to be a nice looking model, no alignment pins can be a bit troublesome, just take your time and do lots of test fitting to get use to how it all goes together. You'll should be fine.

Well good luck with the build, great to have you along for your first GB, their's lots of experienced members here so feel free to ask questions or advice. It's all about having fun and enjoying a build amount friends, so go to it.

• Thanks 1

A start made ... so far, so good.

Probably not accurate in terms of internal painting, IP etc, but not much will be visible when it's assembled.

20190512-014 20190512-015

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

You certainly pick interesting subjects Nigel and a Dutch Navy one will add an extra dimension of uncommon to it :speak_cool:

The interior looks great so far. If you havn't already joined the fuselage halves then gluing some plasticard tabs into the halves under where they will join can help aid the alignment process.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip, Col. I put the fuse together during the week (pics later when I've done a bit more) and there's a tiny step on part of the underside but nothing some fill-sand-repeat won't fix. It's fine elsewhere though (more luck than judgment!) so I think I've got away with it. :phew:

in amongst all those bulges you can still sort of see the old Avenger....she wasn't the most attractive looking aircraft to fly.

Finish wise she does look good.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...