BAE Systems A-4N Skyhawk target tug

Here's my just finished 1/48 Hasegawa A-4N finished as N432FS, used by BAE Systems Flight Systems on a target towing contract for the Luftwaffe. Build thread is here.

The kit is the A-4KU boxing, the extended tailpipe is from Quickboost, and I also used a Quickboost seat and an Eduard zoom set in the cockpit. Decals are from Two Bobs.

Nobody seems to produce the RM30 target towing equipment so I scratch built mine. I found some of the manufacturer's promotional material online, which helpfully included a scale drawing, although I had to estimate the dimensions of the target. The body of the RM30 started life as a drop tank from an Eduard 1/48 MiG-21, and the front end is part of a JT3D engine from a Minicraft 1/144 DC-8. The target started out as one of the missiles in the Eduard MiG-21 and the side pylon was one of the MiG-21's pylons. Never tried scratch building like this before, really enjoyed it - I'll be doing it again.

thanks for looking

Julian

1/48 A-4N Skyhawk

1/48 A-4N Skyhawk

1/48 A-4N Skyhawk

1/48 A-4N Skyhawk

1/48 A-4N Skyhawk

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Very nice build, i am also one the people who saw these flying at Wittmund..

They didn’t have these target equipment fitted on every flight as they also simulated ship attacks..

Again great build and a very good effort on the target device, simply love it!

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Julien,..... I remember seeing the real aircraft in Malta while still wearing Israeli camouflage!!!

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

That’s great!

Been planning to do one of these but was stumped by the target towing equipment. Just found those drawings so might have a go!

Cheers

Glen

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, noelh said:

Looks good. While looking at Flightradar 24 recently I saw a Skyhawk flitting around over Germany. Maybe that very one. 

Nope not possible that it was this one as BAE systems lost the contract to a Canadian firm called Discovery Air flying the Scooter as well!

cheers Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Zebra,

Stunning model in this "civy" livery.

I like it a lot.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...