Lancaster R5677 “Admiral Chattanooga “

Blimpyboy

Hiya all,

I’m modelling Lancaster R5677 as it appeared in 106 Squadron markings (ZN-A - with “Admiral Chattanooga” nose art).

In all profiles of this aircraft, that I’ve seen, the fuselage roundel appears to have a smaller red central disc than the usual type C.1 roundel, making it look like a hybrid type A.1/C.1. This is also shown in the old Matchbox kit decal sheet.

Has anybody seen a photograph of this aircraft that shows this roundel?

Thanks in advance for any help with (and general historical chit-chat about) this aircraft.

A quick look on Google only shows one photograph of R5677, and that is of the cockpit area with the pilot leaning out of the window, so not much help there. 

There was a mention of R5677 on a previous thread on here in 2013, no photographs, but a profile from a decal sheet or kit instructions (Hasegawa?) showing the roundel proportioned as you mention (Post 19)

There is some information regarding the aircraft's final operation on the Aircrew Remembered site:  http://aircrewremembered.com/whyatt-hugh-richard-belcher.html

Dave

Edited by 593jones

It is known that R5677 was delivered in June 1942 so was one of the early ones.  The very first had A1 roundels; there are pictures about the 'net.

I wonder if it is possible R5677 had A1 roundels and was affected by the change to C1 which came into effect from mid-May.  Perhaps the illustration shows an incomplete repaint.  The changeover wasn't instant so perhaps . . .

Also, R5689 of 50 Squadron was subject of a series of photographs (a daylight photo sortie for the camera?) clearly showing type C1 roundels, except in a few shots where the thing looks just like what you have described.   All seem to have been taken on the same day so one imagines a printing process variations?

I just dug out my old Matchbox Lanc and looked at the decals. I never realized just how out of register the fuselage roundels are.

33897115828_5d90efed5a_b.jpg

Chris

To add nothing to the discussion of R5677 but to illustrate the shifts in markings that could occur, here is a link to R5509 with an odd mix:

https://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/content/topics/on-the-wings-of-the-morning-by-vincent-holyoak/chapter-7-yours-in-memory

Seen carrying A1 fuselage roundels but the later fin flash.  Not only that, a replacement rear fuselage with a different demarcation between upper and lower surfaces.  The wavy line seen on the aft section was seen on the Manchester as well.  Note also the fabric cover strip over the joint which I guess is doped in place but not yet painted.  Red dope?