WW2 British Home Guard Improvised Vehicles

dcrfan

I recently purchased a second hand copy of this book which has some pretty amazing 'armoured vehicles.

46979031324_ce3fded8e1_c.jpgIMG_3140 by tankienz, on Flickr

Subsequent searches on the internet and in Encyclopaedia of Armoured Cars by Duncan Crow & Robert Icks got me interested in the Home Guard as a modelling theme.  There are a few mentions of Home Guard equipment on various threads of this group but I could find no dedicated thread so here's a home for the guard😉   

I've made a start on a few 'inspired by' 1/48th models.  First  a Mk 1/2 Beaverette using an Ace GAZ-M-415 ute

46851792235_21a95affdb_c.jpgIMG_3153 by tankienz, on Flickr

An Armidillo I based on an Airfix Albion Refueller.  So far the basic chassis/cab have been assembled with a new deck and armour on the cab front window and behind each cab door. 

46979030384_84bde581d8_c.jpgIMG_3161 by tankienz, on Flickr

Next is a Villa Armoured Tractor what will use wheels from a 1/43rd Ertl diecast tractor.

47715791852_7076eed0b6_z.jpg521911 by tankienz, on Flickr

Anyone else got any HG vehicle models in their collection?

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Would that Albion be based on an actual vehicle ??

It looks like a probable candidate for such a role . . .

I understand trucks were selected for conversion to an Armadillo if they were still mobile but effectively worn out for continued prime use as a lorry. In this picture of the production line it appears that no two trucks were the same at the time the picture was taken.  So while I have no evidence this type of Albion was ever used but it does seem like a viable chassis to use.  Actually the third truck back on the right hand line just could be an Albion😉

47808224332_3a1ca6e844_c.jpg1024px-MkIArmadillos_on_Wolverton_production_line_1255A4 by tankienz, on Flickr

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 3

Beaverette nearly done.  I just need to find some small headlights unfortunately as a recent convert to 1/48th scale my spares box is still rather bare.

53541840842_29d2874094.jpg

53541840837_1ac3a47e0b.jpg

Definitely a significant change from the Ace Gaz-M-415 ute it stated out as.

IMG_3137.jpg

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Front panel modified to reflect sloping plate, turret started and first wheel has straight cleats ground off so correct diagonals can be added once I've added a new plastic wheel outer to allow plastic to plastic glueing.

47927562837_bd97a56289_c.jpgIMG_3179 by tankienz, on Flickr

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm planning to build one of the London Transport armoured buses. I have found two pictures of similar but not identical vehicles.

53542720596_5b4b87d0dc.jpg

53541846622_908ce88e29.jpg

53541868902_847682b6a1.jpg

But I can't find a drivers side view. Has anyone seen a right side view?

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

Thank you. I'll try and find a copy of Tankette index. I was a member for several years but don't remember those articles. Probably before my time.  Then to find some one with the right stone tablets🤫

Interesting subject. There were apparently 20 of them based on LT's ST type AEC Regents, built at Chiswick Works for the Home Guard Dec1940-Jan41.

I have only found a nearside-rear view so far so cannot help with the offside. BUT, it is an official LT view taken at the works, and it is therefore highly likely a full set of views was taken as LT liked to do that sort of thing.

It is therefore likely to be worth contacting the London Transport museum at Covent Garden who hold extensive archives. I have no recent dealings with them, but their research team used to be extremely helpful.

Edit found a pic

https://www.docdroid.net/yjA0iWD/home-guards-armoured-vehicles-vritainatwar022016-pdf#page=6

Matt

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

If it helps to have a dimension, wheelbase was 15ft 6 1/2inches.

Fuel tank on offside as ex-Tilling vehicles were used.

Matt

Thanks discovered that last night. Regent model ST standing for 'short type'. I also made an unexpected discovery that the rear tyres had a slightly smaller diameter than the front but the difference in 1/48 scale is so small (1.5 mm) that i will ignore it as the rear wheels are mainly behind armour.   

• Like 1

Also not made by or for the Home Guard but passed-on to them later by the Army, the Bedford OXA.  Here in 1/35 from MMK's nasty resin kit. 

spacer.png  spacer.png

I have a recurring hankering to do an Armadillo - again not HG and not used by them but definitely improvised - from the ICM Ford 917.  There is a barrel-nose Ford 2nd in line just peeking out behind the Bedford WTL in front.  Then another M series Bedford and a Fordson 7V.  This photo at RAF Wyton IIRC.

spacer.png

Heres a back view of an Armadillo on what looks like another Fordson 7V - heavily overloaded.

spacer.png

But here is something HG.  Essentially an HG copy of an Armadillo.  Although I kept the image I did not keep a note or where or when.  Bumper design says M or O series Bedford chassis.

spacer.png

• Like 4