Frog/Novo Airspeed Oxford - Finished

AdrianMF

Hi Adrian,

when you started this I thought "Oh good, I've got one of these,I'll follow Adrian & apply what I learn to my build" That's not going to happen, you're insane but it is looking good, guess I'll just have to feel inadequate when I do mine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Landing lights, hollowed out air intakes and doors with added details:

332-F4-F28-0-C6-E-455-B-B46-D-1668394-C5

Make sure when you add ribs to the doors that you are making two lefts and two rights...

(no, I didn’t)

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 6

I think I’m calling it a night:

70-B960-CE-DD03-4-C6-B-B23-A-09-E671-F3-

i have been using Humbrol 93 as an undercoat because it’s more opaque than yellow and close in colour. The blotches on the wings are to darken the yellow that is over white Milliput, and the dark blotches on the fuselage are repairing where I have been sanding to get the canopy to blend and also to restore the crease just below the roof line, which had got rounded off during sanding.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 6

6 hours ago, spaddad said:

I'll follow Adrian

Never, ever do that! I have spent far too long on this one. I think the canopy and roof fix has made a difference, but not as much as throwing it away and buying the AZ kit would!

(or even the Pavla, which has its challenges, as Heather demonstrated earlier in this GB)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Never, ever do that! I have spent far too long on this one. I think the canopy and roof fix has made a difference, but not as much as throwing it away and buying the AZ kit would!

(or even the Pavla, which has its challenges, as Heather demonstrated earlier in this GB)

Regards,

Adrian

I get why you do it, I too am drawn towards these old kits but I have decided to build most of mine more or less OOB, possibly doing away with the more excessive details but otherwise just using modern finishing techniques, life's too short & they would never get built. I have an advantage over a lot of modellers in that respect as I do not need the nth degree of accuracy or detail, I know I should be stoned for such heresy but that's just the way I am.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spaddad said:

finish it in?

All yellow, from quite a well-known photo of one of the prototypes. Silver cowlings will be coloured in by one of those chrome pen thingies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spaddad said:

more or less OOB

You wouldn’t believe it (and I know you doubt my sanity) but that’s how I start off with most of my  builds!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Oh I believe it, you've just got no self control.  I'd love to be a fly on your wall to witness the moment when the madness grabs you & you go from "keep it simple" to " if I just add this & modify that" & put yourself into a world of wet & dry pain.

Mind having said all that I always admire your work & enjoy seeing the finished product.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good things come to those who paint:

E8371-EFF-AB9-B-4-D87-BB84-DDE485-E1-A0-

I have lost count of how many paint-sand-repair cycles I have been through, but it’s done (although I might have just one more teeny coat on the wings)

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 8

“What the heck’s he doing now?”, I hear you ask. Well, the Chrome pen didn’t work out (too much to cover?) and the ink dried before I could coat it all, so I thought of Plan B.

if you keep your Christmas Lindor chocolate wrappers, you can peel off the sticky foil and stick it on your metal bits, burnishing madly with a thumbnail as you go...

C5-E5478-B-C0-AB-4-C07-8-DF5-6408-B49-CF

• Like 2

It’s propeller day.

The RS Models Envoy kit provides four pairs of propellers, but the only suitable spares rotate the wrong way. So...

Start with a 1.5x3x34mm plastic blank, marked with a sharpie so you can see where you are cutting stuff off. Taper the ends and carve the front surfaces, then the back surfaces: 

F78293-DE-AE0-C-461-C-8-F16-859530-ED41-

Getting the outline right is tough and I messed it up the first time. The following picture shows the AZ model propeller on the sprue, my balsa attempt, a misshapen discard and my two final versions:

8000-FDCD-3-BC1-438-D-88-EE-978-F69700-A

There are also the FROG propellers - if one hadn’t been broken I would probably have used them.

And with the bosses from the kit propeller and my newly-foiled engine cowlings:

64-DDD118-2-B12-4556-AC02-F02-FFB0164-D6

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10

Well, inspired by all the delicate brass soldering on show from Heather and Tony, I was inspired to recreate the undercarriage in every last detail...

Yeah, right, that’s gonna happen:

8-B454681-67-FE-444-F-A5-B8-34-DF1-A275-

Two of Albion Alloys finest 0.8 brass tubes bodged into place with the X braces from the kit (“Y” on this side, must find some stretched sprue) superglued in place. I will add a collar to pick up the retraction arms and run them off into the depths of the wheel well.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I was inspired to recreate the undercarriage in every last detail...

:penguin::yahoo:

15 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

seems to have coped all right.

Ha! That’s what you think! Sanity is only a thin veneer in this house. ;)

Adrian, this is all looking splendid. I love the metallic engine cowlings. The all over yellow livery is quite smart, and suits the Oxford nicely.

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Getting there, only ten more snagging list items to go:

B8-F1-B970-8-A32-42-DB-8-F2-F-67-D3400-D

I’m now comfortable with finishing by the end of the GB and getting some pics in to the gallery (and the Master too while I have the proper camera out).

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10