Aeroclub 1/72 Gloster Gamecock

It's been a while since I posted any progress on modelling work, due mostly to six weeks contract work away from home in London, followed by just over three weeks vacation in Japan. On my return I contracted a chest infection and just felt yuk for a while!. I'm well on the mend now and although I have a handful of projects on the go, I decided I needed a small new project to get my mojo going again. Some constant nagging gentle encouragement from the member for Bury St Edmunds, aka @Courageous, also had a part to play .................. and you will be pleased to know Stuart, I have also done more work on the Vosper, but you'll have to wait a bit to see that!

Some of you will have seen some questions I posted in the Interwar section a while back to obtain some information on the Gamecock. Responses were very helpful and encouraged me to start this one which had been sitting in the back of a cupboard for many years. The customary box top artwork, which when I dusted off the box, was in itself enough to get me cutting plastic!

20190316_180910

A start has now been made.......

20190316_180849

The cockpit consists of white metal floor and seat, to which I added some wire rudder pedals, which when closed up can't really be seen, but I know they are there.........

20180622_174845 20190316_181132

All closed up with seat inside

20190316_225103

And the white metal I/P is in there painted up for effect:

20190316_225132

Lower wing will be next up, together with some work to clean up the white metal front and engine.

More to come

Terry

• Like 12

11 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

These Aeroclub kits were a wonderful line of models.  I am looking forward to this one!

I agree John, they really filled a gap at the time, and now are just exquisite classics to work with.

9 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

Nice progress, I built this a few years ago and still has pride of place in my cabinet. A lovely little kit. 

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul. It is a lovely kit.

39 minutes ago, Moa said:

Look at the pendulum....

Follow my voice....

You will build the beautiful civil variant...

Now that's an idea I hadn't considered ................ 🤔

13 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice start will look forward to watching what you do with this one

Roger

Thanks Roger. I hope I can do it some small justice!

A quick update before shooting off to the IPMS AGM at Old Sarum. There were some sink marks and lack of panel definition around the lower starboard fuselage that needed attention. Will have to restore the panel line detail, probably with some micro rod with suitably imitated "stitching" somehow ....  Ideas on a postcard?

20190503_220808

More soon

Terry

• Like 4

Very nice start Terry. I like the visuals of this aircraft very much. 

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Ideas on a postcard?

To match the extant detail, go with your idea of a strip of microrod, then press the heated tip of a needle along it at the required intervals?

Glad you got over that dose of the lurgy.

• Thanks 1

Nice to see another Aeroclub kit being built. I did the Short 184 a couple of years back, but it got damaged in my relocation and will be a major restoration job.

Ian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Some constant nagging gentle encouragement 

About bloody time, nice to see you back at the bench! A flying start on the Gamecock, already zipped I see, best of luck with the stitching recovery.

No slacking now :poke:

Stuart

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2019 at 9:23 AM, TheBaron said:

go with your idea of a strip of microrod, then press the heated tip of a needle along it at the required intervals?

Thanks Tony, I will give that a try

On 5/4/2019 at 9:44 AM, limeypilot said:

I did the Short 184 a couple of years back, but it got damaged in my relocation and will be a major restoration job.

Good luck with that Ian.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:17 PM, Courageous said:

No slacking now 

Yesssir!

Some further progress. Engine and lower wing now in place. Needed quite a bit of fettling to get a good fit

20190427_191807 20190427_191758

I am deliberating still regarding the engine. The casting is not bad for its age but needs quite a bit of work to clear flash from the cylinders and the main nose part. I had considered replacing it entirely with an injection moulded part. I discovered that the 1/48 Clerget from the Eduard Sopwith Camel is exactly the same size as a 1/72 Bristol Jupiter and did consider replacing it with a cast version of that one.

20190427_211242

As you can see, the detail on the possible replacement is much more crisp....

20190505_152742 20190505_152724

The challenge would be whether to drill out the existing engine carefully leaving the nose surround, or just slice it off and  build (vac form?) a whole new nose to fit around the cylinders. This was supposed to be a quick mojo restoring build!

Comments/views/suggestions welcome!

The other thing to refine will be this:

20190503_222354

I think this has to come off and have a scratch replacement with better definition.

More soon

Terry

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I am deliberating still regarding the engine.

Engines & Things - Nr. 72030 - 1:72

Has a resin one. It's not be super-crisp, but may be an alternative, and they surely are affordable:

939340-18459-21-pristine.jpg

Prop & Jet seems to have one too:

https://modelsua.com/m-22-licensed-bristol-jupiter-engine-1-72-prop-and-jet-rr003.html

I don't know the specific version of Jupiter your model had, but these may help?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Engines & Things - Nr. 72030 - 1:72

Has a resin one. It's not be super-crisp, but may be an alternative, and they surely are affordable:

939340-18459-21-pristine.jpg

Prop & Jet seems to have one too:

https://modelsua.com/m-22-licensed-bristol-jupiter-engine-1-72-prop-and-jet-rr003.html

I don't know the specific version of Jupiter your model had, but these may help?

Thanks Moa. I was aware there may be a resin one, now I am sure! Still undecided on whether to replace.

Terry

• Like 2

Lovely work, I think the Gamecock and it's close relatives  are wonderful airplanes.  I'm still in the process of building one in 1/48, notwithstanding dropping it at the weekend (This time it was me not the cat, I almost knocked off the upper wing and took off the tail skid which is now with the carpet monster, or has gone through the very small singularity that I believe is somewhere in my study that has claimed my Sopwith PUP's  missing wing amongst other things)   it's almost finished. The profile publications was invaluable and you can pick it up off ebay for fairly small money.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

Lovely work, I think the Gamecock and it's close relatives  are wonderful airplanes.

Thanks Markio. I agree they are wonderful aircraft. That's an interesting thread.

Not much progress today. I decided to send away for the resin Jupiter as highlighted by @Moa I 'm not actually decided on whether to replace the white metal one yet, but no doubt the arrival of the resin replacement will help with the decision!

Terry

• Like 2

Look at the pendulum....

Follow my voice....

You will build the beautiful civil variant...

Now Moa you know you're not supposed to use your Shaolin powers on fellow modelers. also I reckon that's a Gambit not a Gamecock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quick update. A little bit of work on re-applying the "stitching" on the two sides of the panel where definition was poor. I used a variation of the method suggested by @TheBaron and instead of using a hot needle, I covered the micro strip  in liquid cement and then after a few seconds used the blade of my razor saw to press into the softened strip. I think it worked ok.

First the micro strip in place

20190516_121159

Then a close up showing the same strip after the raver saw imprinted the "stitch" marks

20190517_145235

I'll let this set overnight and then give the whole strip a very light rub down with finest grit paper.

More soon

Terry

• Like 9

Still awaiting the arrival of a resin Jupiter engine which, depending on how it looks, might involve me chopping off the white metal one. A decision to be made for sure. I may first try and see what the existing one looks like with the cylinders airbrushed and some dark pin wash on them. Might not look too bad and if that is the case, the replacement Jupiter can be used for another project!

Meanwhile some clean up and further detail added

20190518_220339

There is some complex strut work to do as I have decided to go for the @TheBaronapproach and at least construct the Cabane struts from brass. I think these would not only look good but give some much needed inherent strength at the core of the upper wing/fuselage join. Time for very accurate measurements and some drawings I think. I also need to go firm on a colour scheme. There are a few colourful choices for RAF machines, and of course there is @Moa's subtle suggestion of a civil scheme.........

More soon

Terry

• Like 5

Lovely to see another Gamecock in the works. Your level of detail is amazing ( I think I'm more of a hacker :) )

45476138034_f20be9bb95_z.jpg

I skinned mine with 20 thou ruled card to get the fuselage hatches, panels and ribs. 

40546830603_97136ae273_z.jpg

46885677195_e12b3b2f13_z.jpg

Funny I went the other way with the struts. I used steel wires wit plastic glued over them for the interplane struts and then just plastic rod for the cabane struts and the anti flutter ones  because they were pretty tricky with the w to the front and the n's to the side.

45532291654_48e5caa5b5_z.jpg

I also used a resin Jupiter, the manifolds were difficult even in 1/48, but the kicker was the engine cowling, it took me a week of filing to get the engine into it.

BTW mine is almost (almost) ready to roll :) just some more lights, gun barrels and the exhausts. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, Marklo said:

Lovely to see another Gamecock in the works. Your level of detail is amazing

Thanks Markio, good to see yours progressing as well.

A quick airbrush session this afternoon for the F-5E I'm also building, meant I had a chance to give the fuselage a coat of surface primer to check everything for blemishes etc. I decided to use the Alclad Gloss primer grey that I acquired at Telford last November as I had not used that one before. Just covered the main fuselage for now to see how it worked and checked the work so far. 

20190526_150500

I was quite pleased with both the new paint and the results on the model. All looks pretty smooth, with maybe one or two things to clean up. The home made replacement stitching from an idea of @TheBaron slightly adapted, seems to have worked well now that some primer is on. The home made bits are the left hand side and the lower side in the picture. Looks like I may have to tweak the kits stitching a little more on that right hand edge.

20190526_150529

The other thing that this primer has shown up superbly is the engine detail that exists on the white metal kit Jupiter. The shot below is VERY enlarged and close, and bear in mind the actual size of that engine is less than 2cm across. I had my doubts that the detail was good enough, but certainly under this very fine primer, things actually don't look too bad at all. The primer has helped highlight the joins still visible on some cylinders but I can deal with those I think. I may just stay with this one after all. We'll see how well cleaned up I can get the surface around them as well.

20190526_150600

More soon

Terry

• Like 8

Noble work your Terryship. :clap2:

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I may just stay with this one after all. 

Agreed. A shave with a scalpel and dash of cologne should have that engine ready for parade no problem I reckon. :thumbsup2:

Close-up photography at 'our' scale is always such a pleasure/pain thing isn't it? 😄

• Thanks 1

quick airbrush session this afternoon for the F-5E 

That's quite a contrast, for a moment I though you said SE5 and were doing a series of Folland designs. (something I'm planning to do, I have ans Se5 and a Galadiator in the stash and will definitely do a Nieuport and a Gauntlet< may stop before a Gnat though as I generally don't do jets anymore)

• Like 1