Jump to content

Airfix Vintage Aircraft series


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

reading some of the other issues schedules I think that means January/February 2020, not December-ish 2020

Hope your right

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Black Knight said:

reading some of the other issues schedules I think that means January/February 2020, not December-ish 2020

Well, I think December- ish is exactly what it means. The date already slipped from September 2019 to March 2020. I believe it has slipped again and Airfix basically is guessing. 

 

Winter 2020 begins on 21st December 2020 ( the winter solstice) and ends 20th March 2021 ( spring equinox). I think we are , if we are lucky, looking at Christmas prezzies 2020 !

 

Allan

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I believe you're correct about the decal options. I don't personally have an issue with that and, in any case, it might be possible to source alternatives. Regarding the Jetstream specifically, I'm sure it won't be long before some enterprising company produces an update set.

 

Allan

There was an update set available from an outfit called M & E Models back in the 1980s - now long out of production. Although it might be possible to track it down. It allowed a T2 to be made.

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mande-models-kc003-handley-page-jetstream-t1-t2--146018

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

There was an update set available from an outfit called M & E Models back in the 1980s - now long out of production. Although it might be possible to track it down. It allowed a T2 to be made.

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mande-models-kc003-handley-page-jetstream-t1-t2--146018

You're right! I'd forgotten about that one! There are of course a lot more possible choices for civil operators . Now I come to think about it, Amodel actually produced a T1, T2 and T3 as well as a Jetstream 31/32. Might be worth checking out.

 

Allan

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bashed the Amodel Jetstream together, they have a wide variety of boxings from the civvy 200 to the 31 and the RAF T1/2/3 - nice kits, as usual need a bit of work, especially IIC to fair in the cap type cockpit transparency - forget the windows, krystal klear sorts them without problem. The Astazous are rather complex multi-part affairs to build but to Amodel's credit they have tried to capture all the NACA ducts on the nacelles and even the vortex generators on the upper inboard wings. They are grossly overscale as the fullsize VGs are basically bent pieces of metal about the size of a large post it note folded to an L shape and araldited to the wing! The only disappointment is the tailplanes which are a sloppy fit. It would have been easier to make the tailplane one piece and slot it in from the front with a cover plate (like the fullsize).There's no interior in the Amodel one however and the door is closed. 

 

The Space Models Resin Jetstream 31 is worth looking out if you want a desktop model - it fits together beautifully and you can get a set of window decals for about £2 from the Aviation Hobby Shop. Of course if you want to modify it to a T1/2/3, you'll need to scratch some Astazous or crosskit as the SM one has Garretts. 

 

The Rug Rat resins one looks rough but the Omega one  (whilst horrendously expensive) does look the business with airstairs etc - not been able to justify one myself!

 

I haven't built the Airfix one - but am looking to get one of the repops - I guess you could nick parts from that and crosskit with the Amodel .

 

As alluded to the Airfix machine is neither fish nor fowl as regards a production machine - I have seen people spin the kit engine nacelles round to try and make other engine fits and there is that AM set with Astazous . I do recall one model show where someone modified the Airfix kit into a J41  which is SERIOUS modelling skill!

 

Well done Airfix for reissuing it though especially with decent decals - I took would welcome the Beaver, Skyvan and Islander!

 

TT

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Ratch said:

It went missing earlier (no confirmed date) and its omission from the 1999 tool register confirmed it was lost.

It had a (very rare) T6 UK boxing and was also available as a T6 Gunze. As many of the Gunze boxings appear to have been issued in 1981, it ***may*** be that the mould got lost on return from Japan; otherwise I read a Claim somewhere (Arthur Ward?) it was lost when at a contractor in order to be modified to Norway and the bankruptcy interfered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 3:26 AM, Albeback52 said:

I believe you're correct about the decal options. I don't personally have an issue with that and, in any case, it might be possible to source alternatives. Regarding the Jetstream specifically, I'm sure it won't be long before some enterprising company produces an update set.

 

Allan

I wouldn't count on it, it would probably be cheaper just to get the AModel Jetstream kit in the version you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I wouldn't count on it, it would probably be cheaper just to get the AModel Jetstream kit in the version you want.

True enough! Also, probably be no more difficult building the A model kits than doing the conversion work on the Airfix one

 

Allan

Link to post
Share on other sites

At risk of thread drift, seeing as there has already been some discussion on the Airfix Jetstream, what about it is wrong for a civvy Garret engined 32? I had hoped to model one as operated by a local third level airline some years back & was thinking, fill a door or so, a bit of rescribing & a smash moulded luggage panier. No?

Steve.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

At risk of thread drift, seeing as there has already been some discussion on the Airfix Jetstream, what about it is wrong for a civvy Garret engined 32? I had hoped to model one as operated by a local third level airline some years back & was thinking, fill a door or so, a bit of rescribing & a smash moulded luggage panier. No?

Steve.

Yes that’s it in simple terms - door needs redoing but the engines are wrong for a 31/32  kit has air intake underneath and to rear- your Stream will need the intake at the front and on top - spinning the front engine sections from the kit round then building up and filling and sanding may get you there and depending on the specific airframe four bladed props will be needed too as well as a baggage pannier 

 

Quite a a lot of AM decals for the Amodel kits- you may find it’s a easier to get that kit where you’ll get the correct engines and decals in the box and don’t need to rescribe- the first version ‘Economist’ turns up cheap fairly regularly I think because it was the launch tool then a year or so later  Amodel released the Astazou versions and people dumped their first boxing’s and bought those! 

 

Cant speak highly enough of the Amodel kit it’s one of their better efforts and with care makes a very nice model 

 

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I already have the Jetstream but it looks like a Amodel one will be far less hassle seeing as I need Engines, props, door & panier. There goes another $NZ60.00. :(

Steve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Damn, I already have the Jetstream but it looks like a Amodel one will be far less hassle seeing as I need Engines, props, door & panier. There goes another $NZ60.00. :(

Steve.

You can always build them from the box, leaving any mistakes aside, in order to enjoy it. Leave the expert you behind and build once from the box, no aftermarkek resins or PE.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Leave the expert you behind and build once from the box, no aftermarkek resins or PE.

Exactly what I intend to do with the Amodel one I've just ordered, maybe the Airfix one will get repurposed to something else sometime. :unsure: :)  I think I've been hanging around on BM too long to let something as obvious as the differences in this case to slip by, especially for a local aircraft I've flown in. Edited to say, "besides, which expert me" . :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

Heron now at Hannants, and no doubt other model shops.

Jetstream and Dominie showing as May 2020 at Wonderland.

Shame not all at same time could save a lot on postage🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...