Airfix Vintage Aircraft series

chrisov

If this delay is a result of time required to update some nice decal options, then I’ll happily wait a little while longer. Time will tell I guess. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If this delay is a result of time required to update some nice decal options, then I’ll happily wait a little while longer. Time will tell I guess. 

Cheers.. Dave

Pretty sure that the philosophy behind the Airfix "Vintage Classics" kits is to do a straight re-release (are they even updating the instructions to the new format since CAD images don't exist for the older kits) with minimal changes. I wouldn't expect new decal options.

In the case of the Jetstream specifically, there are no possible alternatives since the configuration kitted was for one customer (USAF), who ultimately canceled. Even the supplied marking options are hypothetical for that kit.

Edited by VMA131Marine

One wonder why Airfix are so stucked with Titanic kits when they have (?) 1/600 moulds with so many fine liners as RMS Queen Elizabeth, QE2, SS France and SS Canberra... ...that made it wery well with the United States and RMS Queen Mary from Revell...

Or are all moulds lost?

/André

Edited by Andre B

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Pretty sure that the philosophy behind the Airfix "Vintage Classics" kits is to do a straight re-release (are they even updating the instructions to the new format since CAD images don't exist for the older kits) with minimal changes. I wouldn't expect new decal options.

Then what's with the Six month delay then? It would also appear that a good number of other '2019' Classic vintage announced kits have also moved to March 2020, with only the Hs123, Demon and Bulldog still showing Sep / Oct 2019. Anyway - odd but not surprising I guess. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Then what's with the Six month delay then? It would also appear that a good number of other '2019' Classic vintage announced kits have also moved to March 2020, with only the Hs123, Demon and Bulldog still showing Sep / Oct 2019. Anyway - odd but not surprising I guess. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Airfix don't own their production facilities. Except for short runs, all kit production is done in India by a third party, which will have other clients vying for production time. I also suspect that production priority is affected by how much a company is willing to pay. My guess is Airfix's priority is the equivalent of holding an airline  standby ticket, meaning they'll get the production run in when they can.

• 2 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:34, Andre B said:

One wonder why Airfix are so stucked with Titanic kits when they have (?) 1/600 moulds with so many fine liners as RMS Queen Elizabeth, QE2, SS France and SS Canberra... ...that made it wery well with the United States and RMS Queen Mary from Revell...

Or are all moulds lost?

/André

SS France went missing in 1999

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does this include the re-pop of the Cessna L-19 birddog ?  Im kind of desperate for one to make an appearance as I've always wanted one.  

Dennis

I’m afraid not Dennis, best to check on the Airfix website under their “new for 2019” section, not that they will be it seems. Can’t be too hard to track one of these down is it not? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

SS France went missing in 1999

Didn't know it had disappeared that late Ratch, thought it had gone a lot earlier. Can't remember ever seeing one in a shop but I liked the looks of it.

With the Jetstream the only real world options I can think of are the prototype and the slightly altered scheme from the UFO tv series. Looked like all they did was cut out the Star from the USAF Star and Bar.

Paul Harrison

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Surprisingly no as a member noticed my post and PM'd me. In discussions as i write this as to how to post it from there to me. 

Dennis

Glad you managed to get one Dennis. However, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it will appear as a future Vintage Classic. For myself, I'm rather hoping for the F2-H Banshee, B N Islander, Shorts Skyvan, Fokker F -27, F-86D Sabre and, F-80C Shooting Star. I've already pre ordered (with the exception of the SM 79 and, P-61) all of the Vintage Classic aircraft for 2019 but, I am disappointed with delayed releases. Still, helps spread the cost out a bit !

Allan

Allan 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, VMA131Marine said:

In the case of the Jetstream specifically, there are no possible alternatives since the configuration kitted was for one customer (USAF), who ultimately canceled. Even the supplied marking options are hypothetical for that kit.

I believe you're correct about the decal options. I don't personally have an issue with that and, in any case, it might be possible to source alternatives. Regarding the Jetstream specifically, I'm sure it won't be long before some enterprising company produces an update set.

Allan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GreenDragon said:

Didn't know it had disappeared that late Ratch, thought it had gone a lot earlier.

It went missing earlier (no confirmed date) and its omission from the 1999 tool register confirmed it was lost.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, chrisov said:

Jetstream, Heron and Domine now showing as Pre Order expected winter 2020!😥

reading some of the other issues schedules I think that means January/February 2020, not December-ish 2020

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

For myself, I'm rather hoping for the F2-H Banshee, B N Islander, Shorts Skyvan, Fokker F -27, F-86D Sabre and, F-80C Shooting Star. 

I wouldn't mind the Banshee, F-86D, or the F-80 either. 

• Like 3