Messerschmitt Bf109G-6 "Wilde Sau"

Hi guys and gals,

Can you believe this is my first Messerschmitt 109? I've been modelling for years and never got round to making one of these seminal aircraft! 

Well, I've now broken my duck so here's the very nice Revell G-6 Late kit in a dramatic nightfighter scheme (Red 2, 1. NJG) from an AIMS decal sheet. There are seven more versions on the sheet so it was great value. 

tn_IMG_20190503_180341 tn_IMG_20190503_180441 tn_IMG_20190503_180448

The aircraft was painted in Colourcoats enamels (still the best model paint I've ever used, and shall continue to do so!) I used RLM 74/75/76 and RLM 02 with an overspray of Night Black.

tn_IMG_20190503_180600 tn_IMG_20190503_180611 tn_IMG_20190503_180623 tn_IMG_20190503_180633

I thought this was a really cool looking scheme and makes the clean lines of the aircraft look even more menacing! I don't know much about these aircraft or modelling them, so there are probably a few howlers - I just enjoyed it for the easy-to-build kit and cool paintjob!

All the best,

Alan

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Well done mate, even i dont like the photo boxes, but your model looks great

Thanks. I'm loving the photo box, it's completely changed the quality of my photos 👍

Very nice Ala!!!!!!  What 4th FG pilot wouldn`t want to chase one of these.  In fact, they most likely would be mistaken with yours as it looks like the real one.  

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Lovely looking model!!  This has prompted a distant memory, as I seem to recall converting an old Airfix G-6 to a nightfighter from an article in the Airfix Magazine - probably mid 70's.  I have a feeling this was fitted with an upward firing Schrage Musik type cannon, but I may be completely wrong!!  Any oldies out there remember this...…..

Rgds

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful build and interesting finish. Yes Martyn I do remember it and I’m going to have a look for it.

Wulfman

PS:- Found it ! November 72, article by Bryan Philpott. He describes a G-14 of Major Friedrich Muller.

The only modifications are a “schrage music” cannon pointing backwards and the d/f loop relocated

to underneath. Very interesting, I may try it myself. 

Edited by Wulfman
Update
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, prosser said:

Lovely looking model!!  This has prompted a distant memory, as I seem to recall converting an old Airfix G-6 to a nightfighter from an article in the Airfix Magazine - probably mid 70's.  I have a feeling this was fitted with an upward firing Schrage Musik type cannon, but I may be completely wrong!!  Any oldies out there remember this...…..

Rgds

Martyn

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful build and interesting finish. Yes Martyn I do remember it and I’m going to have a look for it.

Wulfman

Thank you Martyn and Wulfman. Not aware of that modification but it sounds very formidable. Let us know if you track down any more info.

9 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I love it Alan and with that black underside it looks really menacing👌

Cheers, Jan

6 hours ago, djos said:

In this colors....really looks like a mean machine.

Very nice work

regards Djordje

Thanks Jan and Djorje, I very much agree, it's a great look for the airframe!

4 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

That a splendid Gustav, too bad Colourcoats aren’t available here in Portugal, they do look good and very accurate. 

Thanks very much. You could try a quick word to @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies he may help you source some Colourcoats closer to your home.

4 hours ago, Mig88 said:

A great job on your first 109!! Well done!!

Miguel

Many thanks, Miguel! I'm sure it won't be my last.

Alan

Edited by Alan P

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

November 72, article by Bryan Philpott. He describes a G-14 of Major Friedrich Muller.

The only modifications are a “schrage music” cannon pointing backwards and the d/f loop relocated

My up-to-date 'history' feature on F-K Müller's aircraft and night fighter career is available to read in the free 76-page November issue of Eduard Info - download it here

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Wulfman

PS:- Found it ! November 72, article by Bryan Philpott. He describes a G-14 of Major Friedrich Muller.

Phew!!  Was it really that long ago!!  Many thanks for finding the article.

It means my recent purchase from Aldi of an E-3 will be my first 109 in 47 years!!

Thanks Wulfman

Rgds

Martyn

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wow! The mottling on the tail is incredible! How did you approach painting it?

Thanks Adam! It was the combination of the excellent paint and the fine-tip Iwata HP-CH airbrush I only bring out for special occasions 😄

The rest of the build was originally mottled like that but mostly painted over with black 😭

On 03/05/2019 at 18:28, Alan P said:

so there are probably a few howlers -

The biggest one being that Red 2 was a G-6/AS sub variant which had the streamlined engine cowling. These didn't have the 2 bulges on the upper cowling. 

Take a look on your decal sheet profiles.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIMS4824?result-token=XCYnO

The kit you've used isn't suitable for any of the featured aircraft on that sheet.

Also as you may have noticed in Neil's link this aircraft had it's head armour removed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!

• Like 1