Focke-Wulf Triebflügel (Amusing Hobby) 1:48

Mike, I'm looking forward to see what you do with this. Lets hope this thread doesn't became like the Italian bomber

thread where you have to wade through a swamp before to get to see the odd progress image.... 🤒 You never know

what you will catch over there. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Quick! Everyone apologise before he calls in a Photon torpedo strike. Or even worse, a Lawyer!

"Aliens? Nah, not me Guv. Love 'em, splendid chaps. Really sensible. My Sister married one."

It's not going to work, is it?

The short answer is no!

Martian (Digging out his battle pants as we speak) 👽

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

where you have to wade through a swamp

How very dare you, Sir!

I like to think of it as an Alien Olive grove where gentle breezes play on ones senses as sunbeams dance off the ripples in the wine.

(There, that might keep him placated for a while)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian (Digging out his battle pants as we speak) 👽

I thought the dress of the day was black jeweled battle shorts?

• Haha 2

I went away for a bit to do sleeping, and came back to.... what? :blink: I have no idea what happened overnight, but might I suggest you all contact your GP for a medication review? :lol:

I can reach the photo booth today, so I'll post up a pic in a minute.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Quick! Everyone apologise before he calls in a Photon torpedo strike. Or even worse, a Lawyer!

"Aliens? Nah, not me Guv. Love 'em, splendid chaps. Really sensible. My Sister married one."

It's not going to work, is it?

Don't you worry Pete !

Here's the only Reason why the earth is safe from alien attack !!

60486277_1000145243524439_4179593663996755968_n

Received today on FB can't resist !!! Sorry.

CC

• Haha 5

As promised, here's the first fix of the canopy, which just needs a little glue removing where it's oozed out, and maybe a bit of filling around the front of the windscreen.  Otherwise it fits really snugly, which is nice :)

spacer.png

An overall shot of the completed airframe minus wheels of course, which are winging their way to Scotland at the moment :shocked:

airframe2.jpg

I now need to decide on a colour scheme.  Do I go with the ones in the box (which I probably should), or should I do that green/white distemper one I liked and adapt it to the Flugel of the Trieb? :hmmm:

• Like 8

Well seeing as this never flew (i think) you can pretty much do what you like. I'd go for one of the late war camo 75/83 or 81/80 and put in in the markings of say Grunherz with defense of the reich markings, as an interesting might have been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I thought the dress of the day was black jeweled battle shorts?

That's Melchett, I'm a bit more down market and have to settle for bog standard battle y fronts.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I went away for a bit to do sleeping, and came back to.... what? :blink: I have no idea what happened overnight, but might I suggest you all contact your GP for a medication review? :lol:

I can reach the photo booth today, so I'll post up a pic in a minute.

My GP gave up on me and said I would probably be better of consulting the vet. Will pictures calm us down? maybe, for a nano-second or two.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Don't you worry Pete !

Here's the only Reason why the earth is safe from alien attack !!

60486277_1000145243524439_4179593663996755968_n

Received today on FB can't resist !!! Sorry.

CC

Got it in one CC. Its the very reason I am here, the stuff they brew on Mars is gnat's widdle.

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

I now need to decide on a colour scheme.  Do I go with the ones in the box (which I probably should), or should I do that green/white distemper one I liked and adapt it to the Flugel of the Trieb? :hmmm:

The sensible course would be to build more than one. I'm sure Amusing Hobby would be prepared to oblige with further supplies. In fact you could have a whole geschwader of Triebflugels.

Martian von Voice of Reason 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The sensible course would be to build more than one. I'm sure Amusing Hobby would be prepared to oblige with further supplies. In fact you could have a whole geschwader of Triebflugels.

I'm not big on building more than one of something straight after the last one.  It usually ends in a stall :blush:

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I'm not big on building more than one of something straight after the last one.  It usually ends in a stall :blush:

Well, there's still that Mr Blobby scheme that you so callously pooh poohed the other day. I haven't decided much about mine other than the fact that it will be getting a lot of RLM76 applied to it for no better reason than I like RLM76.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Lets hope this thread doesn't became like the Italian bomber

thread where you have to wade through a swamp before to get to see the odd progress image.... 🤒 You never know

what you will catch over there. 

It's getting a bit swampy, but I think all you can catch is a little insanity, the harmless kind :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's getting a bit swampy, but I think all you can catch is a little insanity, the harmless kind :unsure:

I do wish people would read the small print before they sign up. Insanity is quite clearly stated as an entrance requirement!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

I like RLM76 too, but other colours are available.

Maybe not, there was a war on after all.

As for the Beer placard, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, in an infinite universe there will be other habitable planets and they will have beer, the getting there might be the hard part.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

:hmmm: I've narrowed it down to choices, using the helpful schemes from the book that @Martian Hale made me buy. 

• "Yellow 4" from page 93, with a winter distemper that leaves wide squiggles of either a single green shade or a splinter scheme visible below.  There's a yellow tail band, outers of the engines and tip of the nose cone too.
  • "Yellow 3" in a tritonal splinter camouflage with the spinning part of the fuselage yellow, nose cone tip and three yellow stripes on the castor gear legs.

There aren't as many pics of 4 in the book, so I'd probably have to make a bit of it up, and I'd also lose a lot of paint under that white, and there would be lots of chipping and mucking about with wearing out the distemper.  3 is easier and quite fetching, but a masking tape guzzler. :hmmm:

Right, sensible heads on everyone, it's now back to the studio to solve @Mike's dilemma.

Yellow 4 sounds good to me AND it saves on masking tape stocks, always a good move & less chance of removing paint as it's, er, removed.

A quick swipe with micromesh and that takes care of the worn distemper. Plus you can also paint a snowman on the side. (Oops, 😜 sorry).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It depends on whether you believe 4 is distempered over a splinter pattern or not. :hmmm: That's what's slowing down my choice.  It's like painting a model, then painting over most of it with white(ish). Mein kopf ist boggling. :hypnotised:

• Like 2

Well, Mike, it's your model, your choice. 

Me, I'd maybe go for single tone light green with the odd aluminium access panel or maybe dark green or whatever replacement part, then the white?

• Like 1

Ah but if it's a distemper then it should be poorly applied and translucent in places it'll also flake off in places ( I know this from personal experience, my previous  house was built in the 1950's and had distemper used throughout and it was terrible, flakey and streaked,. All the woodwork was a horrible bottle green that may also have been from an army surplus depot, I did get the whole thing replastered and painted in nice modern emulsion) so you should see the underlying camo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Right, sensible heads on everyone, it's now back to the studio to solve @Mike's dilemma.

Yellow 4 sounds good to me AND it saves on masking tape stocks, always a good move & less chance of removing paint as it's, er, removed.

A quick swipe with micromesh and that takes care of the worn distemper. Plus you can also paint a snowman on the side. (Oops, 😜 sorry).

What will be more interesting is the Yellow 4 under the carefull management of the Royal Air Force

Overmarked with british roundels, we are on British modeloonies after all !

The triebflûgel has been tested at Boscombe Down in September '46 after the defection of a "German" pilot

Oberfeldwebel Gunther von Melchetter a saxon relative of our world famous @general melchett 

Nobody know for sure what happened to Gunther, he escaped the POW shelter... With the help of a pigeon !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

On 5/14/2019 at 9:32 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Another thing that springs to mind. Assuming the fuel tank is in the fuselage, how does the fuel get to the engines?

Inside blades, 

some as on 

Hiller YH 32 Hornet:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_YH-32_Hornet

and Mil V-7:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_V-7

v7-1.jpg

But this scheme have many problems. As written here:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/heli/v7.html

"In 1965, testers were supposed to check the actual power at various revolutions of the

helicopter rotor, but this year was the last in the history of the development of the V-7.  During testing at maximum speed and take-off mode of the engines on November 11, 1965, the destruction of both power plants almost simultaneously occurred.  As it turned out later, the takeoffs of the AI-7 were critical.  The compressors entered into resonant vibrations and, breaking the hulls, flew away with the backs of the engines.  The helicopter without damage smoothly sank to the ground."

But at that time, 

in the Design bureau Mil this construction scheme  was considered very promising for future heavy helicopters.

B.R.

Serge

P.S. And don't say 

me that Mil stole idea for his V-7 from Focke-Wulf Triebflügel !!! 😁😁

Even it would seem in more generally accepted cases is not so simple:

😉😁😎

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3