Focke-Wulf Triebflügel (Amusing Hobby) 1:48

After the busy period doing server stuff all the time I'm able, the run up to which caused me to stall my Su-34 build, I'm having a little break from that more serious subject, and doing a fun build of the new Amusing Hobby Triebflugel, which is the first styrene kit of the type in 1:48, and I just couldn't resist! :yahoo:

cockpit1.jpg

The kit is fairly simple, and you can see the sprue pics on my review here.  What's there is nice though, and I started off putting the cockpit together.  It's made up of just a few parts, and with a little clean-up goes together well.  I replaced the kit rudder pedals with some old Lion Roar PE ones, mainly because I've forgotten where my Eduard ones went.  They won't be seen though, as the cockpit aperture is really narrow, so I'll just slap some @airscale instrument decals in there when I've painted it, and move along.  I'll dig out some Eduard seatbelts on my way too, just to titivate the seat :)

fuselage1.jpg

The fuselage is a work in three parts, starting with the nose, which I can't close up until I've put the cockpit in.  I took the opportunity to remove the moulded-in guns and put some micro-tubing in there instead, just for a bit of added detail.  The rotating centre section builds up from three parts, and needs a little bit of fettling to ensure it rotates freely, but isn't sloppy once the wings are on.  The aft fuselage has a little bulkhead and tube into which the main wheel slides later on, and at the top it has a lip and an alignment pin, which have resulted in a small sink mark that you can see covered in putty above.  Paint the wheel well interior with something dark, as no-one will see in there anyway.

wings1.jpg

The three wings and four tail fins are all two parts each, with the wings having quite a bit of curvature along their length, and easily removed seams.  I drilled a few lightening holes into the wing root just in case someone's looking against the curve of the fuselage with their magnifying glass.  The engines fit at the other end, and these also go together well, with minimal clean-up if you take care of the alignment.  I've left the centre "igniters" loose for now so I can paint them separately and to ease masking.  They fit really neatly to the wings, thanks to some clever curves on the wing parts, and a shallow depression in the engine cowlings.  The tail fins have a slot down the centre for the landing gear struts, which can be slid in later, and have two détente positions for in-flight (all the way in), and landed (1st click).  That's about as far as I've got yet.

• Like 13

I want one of these and I want it now! No, I want it yesterday! :frantic:  :frantic::frantic:

Martian the Patient 👽

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I want one of thee and I want it now! No, I want it yesterday!

If you are a good cabinboy on the narrowboat and don't fall overboard too often, we shall see.

AND they have CCTV cameras by the locks now, so no messing about there either!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I want one of these and I want it now! No, I want it yesterday! 

On 01/05/2019 at 11:57, roginoz said:

Don't tell Martian......

On 01/05/2019 at 12:08, Mike said:

If he hasn't already got one on order to go next to his Haunebu, I'll be a monkey's uncle :)

What did we say? :lol:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I want one of these and I want it now! No, I want it yesterday! :frantic:  :frantic::frantic:

Martian the Patient 👽

Summer is coming, insulation for the expected heatwave?

Been looking forward to this one, but think I'll stick to my 1/72 Triebflugel and Lerche

Edited by Silenoz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, roginoz said:

Me 'n' my mouth........!!

Well, you will state the obvious! :lol:

Primer on the cockpit today... need to prime the inside too, so it's a good job I left it in the cup :rolleyes:

Got the cockpit finished the other day and test-fitted it in place to find you can't see a blinking thing! :lol: With that in mind, I didn't bother with any weathering, as it's just wasted time, as was all my effort with the Airscale decals :( At least I have a pic of them before they went into the darkness :shrug: I pinched some seatbelts from a Heinkel to add a bit of interest to the seat, and I'm 99.567% certain that a lot of those instruments are in the wrong positions, although I did follow an Me.262 IP diagram, as that's what it seems to have been based on, which is fair comment, as it was a similar "end of war" project, although a little more frivolous and fanciful than the relatively successful Schwalbe.  I'm going to glue that section of the fuselage together shortly, but I've noticed that I knocked off the little piece of clear acetate I'd put in as the gunsight glass, so I'll make another one when I'm about to put the canopy on.  The old Molotow liquid chrome pen came in handy again here & there too, as it's the best chrome you can "brush paint" around, although it works best on small areas like fire extinguisher nozzles, reflectors, and landing gear oleos.

A quick close-up pic that exposes a few stray cotton strands, but you get the jist:

cockpit2.jpg

• Like 17

The cockpit fits nicely into the nose area, and I've managed to get a decent seamline that won't need much fettling as a result, always nice :) I've been thinking about the best way to repair the damaged rivets on the main (aft) fuselage section from sanding the seam, and dug out my old Rosie The Riveter set that I've had for years and barely ever used :blush: After doing a couple with one wheel I realised I wasn't all that happy with the result, so got the rest out and found that the red tipped one was a perfect match.  I've gone over the ones I didn't like, but may have to sand them back a bit, which I'll know after a quick blast of primer.  I also checked the seams on the engine pods and did a bit of remedial work there too.  Once the cockpit seam has been dealt with it should be a pretty quick build after that, as pretty much all the assemblies have been prepped ready to go.

Here's what I mean about the lack of visibility into the cockpit:

spacer.png

I cut the canopy parts off while I was faffing about, and made the mistake of trying to cut the sprue gates tight to the windscreen part, which has resulted in a bit of damage to the lip :blush: It's not too bad though, but beware - I'd advise cutting it a bit further away and then sanding the remaining stub away for a better result, but it's too late for mine.  It probably won't be visible once I've installed it, so I'm not unduly worried.  Forewarned is forearmed though :yes:

• Like 9

This is looking good. Following so I don't miss anything. :evil_laugh:

Martian 👽

Edit: I wonder if this thing was intended to be fitted with and ejector seat? I will dig out my book on the subject and see if it says anything about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Edit: I wonder if this thing was intended to be fitted with and ejector seat? I will dig out my book on the subject and see if it says anything about it.

I suspect an ejector seat would have been the only way to get free unless they had explosive bolts on the "wings" like they did on the Do.335's tail.  It doesn't really matter what type of seat they put in there though, as even without the canopy only the top few mil are visible.  It's a lazy cockpit builder's dream! ^_^

• Like 1

A bit more progress to report.  I've sanded back the seam on the nose now, and just need to reproduce the rivets once I've primered that section, which is the work of moments now I have the correct rivet wheel dialled in :) I glued all the tail fins in place, which is why it's on a paint pot in the photo, as it had only just been done at the time, and clicked the castor legs in place for the photo.  The wings are still only pushed into the holes, and I'm not going to glue them, as they're a good friction fit and it will ease painting and storage if needs be.  I managed to get a hair stuck on the canopy part, so that's gone back in the Klear for another go, but I'll probably attach the windscreen shortly and make good my mistake.  here she is, 90% complete:

spacer.png

I need to prep all the clamshell doors for the five gear legs, plus the little castor wheels (the main one is done), then prime everything ready for paint.  It's surprisingly close to being ready, which was what I was hoping for - a quick, fun build that I can do to before I head back to the Su-34.  It's been a doddle, and very enjoyable so far, and my only quandary is whether to do the mottle scheme that everyone seems to do on the old resin one and the smaller scales, or go with one of the other schemes, which are basically transposed from other extant units in late war.  Decisions, decisions :hmmm: If any of you want to chime in, have a squint at the profiles below, and tell me what you think I should do.  It'll either make up my mind for me, or force me to decide which on I actually want to do but hadn't realised it yet :hypnotised:

profiles.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Mike !!

Really great job ! 

I'm not a Luftwaffe '46 fanboy,

But this Martian thing is looking ace !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Job. Just Like Martian I really really want one in my collection, but I was thinking of scratch building as I didn't expect anyone to kit it.  Hmmm €31 on ebay, maybe not

• Thanks 1

You could go for a pink with yellow spots Mr Blobby scheme, that would look suitably bonkers.

Martian the Helpful 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You could go for a pink with yellow spots Mr Blobby scheme, that would look suitably bonkers.

Martian (always helpful) is on the right track. I was thinking of something like this:

41602343135_bb82a4dc69_c.jpg

Maybe too late for WW2, but not too late for 1950s air racing!

:penguin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mike said:

:hmmm: If any of you want to chime in, have a squint at the profiles below, and tell me what you think I should do.  It'll either make up my mind for me, or force me to decide which on I actually want to do but hadn't realised it yet :hypnotised:

profiles.jpg

Upper right followed by grunherz would be my choices. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

grunherz

I've gone off the Grunhertz theme a bit for some reason, but I'll take your top right scheme onboard.  Actually, if you look at it, it's pretty much the only scheme that has been correctly oriented to the ground-standing attitude of the Triebflugel.  Maybe the mottle option has the blending in with night clouds in flight that it pinched from the He.219?  Dunno.  In truth, where was the camo supposed to be effective?  From the ground AND the air, or just from the ground or just in the air?  I'm confused now :wacko:

I hit an interesting issue last night when I stood the model on its five wheels for the first time.  The axles are quite weak, and one snapped off the main wheel. :owww:  Think I'm going to have to put a brass rod through the main wheel at least and then toughen up the yoke so that it doesn't break off again.  I may be able to get away with it for the castors, but we'll see :hmmm:

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

:puke:

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

I was thinking of something like this:

:puke:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

In truth, where was the camo supposed to be effective?  From the ground AND the air, or just from the ground or just in the air?  I'm confused now :wacko:

I suppose when on the ground... they weren't boss in the air anymore... but your model, so the choise is yours...

but when making a search for luft '46 camo I stumbled upon this:

https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/conceptual-and-uncompleted-projects-of-the-german-aircraft-industry-during-ww2.t7998/page-2

and

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/555350197782595039/?lp=true

or even a "nude" one, with wood, aluminium, filler, and the like, maybe with partial camo:

me262-3a.jpg

01-23-14Me262A-2a-4_zps32105ac7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From that link, I kind of like this one:

IPxDpUy.jpg

As to the subjects, I kind of like them all, but this pic is the awesomestest ^_^

ZoyguTU.jpg

• Like 5

Is the Triebflügel concept in any way aerodynamically sound or just a crackpot idea to keep some designers safely in their offices instead of the trenches?

Wondering, Richard

P.S.: wouldn't the failure of one engine have serious -and spectacular - consequences?

Regarding the strength of the undercarriage, when I built my Huma kit, I didn't mess about and went straight to the chase and replaced as much as I could with brass rod. This was one model that I did glue to it's base. I inserted a rod into the base and slotted the model over it. It has survived nearly ten years being carted to various shows.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1