First Resin Build

Modelholic

I'm hoping to build my first resin kit this summer (a CC MTB in 1/72). I understand the safety concerns regarding working with resin (good mask, ventilation wet abrasive)

But what about other occupants of the house?

My workbench is the dining room table (on special occasions) and my son is usually glued to his computer on the other side of the room.

Should I pray for good weather and take my resin into the garden?

Tom

Hi Tom, short answer, YES.

Resin dust is a known carcinogen, and it doesn't matter the age of those breathing it in. Would suggest you do your prep work either outside or if you have a shed, in there. Better safe than sorry.

Cutting with a knive and slowly sawing resin by hand is no concern since you produce large chips. Working with power tools should be done outside and with a good mask fit for that purpose. Sanding work can be done literally under water and produces no airborne dust that way - just do that work in a large bowl of water. Of course this is messy, so maybe no splashing for the living room, but works very well in the kitchen. As a bonus you don't have to wait till the weather is right.

Looks like a nice kit. I found an in-box review of the kit, and it looks fairly well done.

In particular, I didn't see anything suggesting you'd need power tools. As @Schwarz-Brot suggested, cutting pour blocks using a knife or a saw (I highly recommend a JLC saw) and wet-sanding smaller parts is likely all that's needed. I wet-sand using an abrasive sheet laid grit-side up on a glass "cutting board". You can also use a cotton bud to wet down the area where you'll saw.