To drill or not to drill...that is the question

I have a Welsh Models Boeing 737-600 in 1/72 on my desk. Vac fuselage and resin elsewhere. All the windows are clearly indented, plus there is the option of filling and using decals to represent the glass.

Can the learned among you advise any tips for opening out the windows, ( I have drills and files) or would I be better off with filler and decals?

TIA

Frank

Hi Frank,

Personally, I'd fill and use decals. Even if you did open them up chances are you would have to use a decal for the thin silver surround each window has anyway.

Authentic Airliners Decals do a set for the 737-200 and as the -600 is about the same size I think it's got the same amount of windows, plus of course the cockpit glass is the same.

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D72-BO-03

Hope this helps.

Which livery are you finishing it in?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

With indentations, I'd fill and decal. With clear plastic, depending on the fit and my mood, I'll either paint the inside black and mask, fill and mask, or fill and decal.

I use Inkscape and a Silhouette Portrait cutter to make masks. But they probably wouldn't be as good as those Authentic Airliners decals. 

Edited by dnl42
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Frank,

Personally, I'd fill and use decals. Even if you did open them up chances are you would have to use a decal for the thin silver surround each window has anyway.

Authentic Airliners Decals do a set for the 737-200 and as the -600 is about the same size I think it's got the same amount of windows, plus of course the cockpit glass is the same.

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D72-BO-03

Hope this helps.

Which livery are you finishing it in?

Cheers,

Ian

'Janet' airlines. Draw Decal do a sheet for the -200, but the fuselage length and window placings are all wrong for the -66. I will end up spraying the red stripe anyway. The AA decals are of no use with all the curtains and guff. I had thought of drilling out, spraying the white, then the red, and using the silver surround decals provided before glazing with Kristal Klear. Failing that I can use the black or dark grey window blanks and silver surrounds over the top. At least that way I don't have to worry about uniformity with a file.

• Like 1

The Revell 727 has the same slightly indented windows.  I made a jig to cut the plugs the same size.  The pencil line is to make sure I got them the right way ‘round.  Really quick and easy.  I’ll use AA decals.

Can’t imagine drilling them out and getting them all the same size and shape.  

Good of luck with whatever method you choose.

Dennis 

resized_a7bb24f5-80ea-4e58-bf3f-7cc794a3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DMC said:

cut the plugs

Neat job but is there a reason you don't fill with super glue or Milliput etc. ? Those sunken windows were really bad weren't they ? How would the decs sit on those or are they windowless decs and need cutting out ? 3 questions ,sorry !

57 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

super glue or Milliput

I use super glue very sparingly; I don’t care for the fumes.  Can you imagine filling 60+ windows with super glue? Certainly a health hazard.  Milliput will work but I don’t like fillers either,  I prefer working with styrene.  

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You will find trying to drill an abundance of 60+ windows, that there will always be 10-20 or more that you will never get all the holes the exact same size or even a perfect alignment of the bottom of the windows, go for the popular replies...…...fill and decal, you find you keep your hair longer instead of pulling it out!!!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rayprit said:

You will find trying to drill an abundance of 60+ windows, that there will always be 10-20 or more that you will never get all the holes the exact same size or even a perfect alignment of the bottom of the windows, go for the popular replies...…...fill and decal, you find you keep your hair longer instead of pulling it out!!!!!

Yes, and all these unnecessary works can be a mojo-breakers.

Frank, I’ll recommend you to use a decals.

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Draw Decal do a sheet for the -200, but the fuselage length and window placings are all wrong for the -66. I will end up spraying the red stripe anyway.

Anyway, to cut the decal sheet and place the windows manually is far better than drill it, sand it (x60)...