Mitsubishi C5M2 `Babs`, Denpasar AB, Bali, 1942

Hi all,

Thought I`d share some pic`s of my latest effort, which I finished a couple of weeks ago but, got my sausage fingers caught on the aerial wire and had a bit of repair work to do.

M5wRSjO.jpg

My attempt at Fine Molds 1/48 C5M2 `Babs` Kit

nvEDMZl.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of the 3rd Air Group, IJN and operated from Denpasar Air Base, on Bali Island 

70GbuU0.jpg

Really well detailed and great fitting kit, the only bit I had a battle with was fitting the engine and cowling to the front fuselage, but I think.........

22umM1X.jpg

....that I squeezed the exhaust parts too close together when fitting the cowling ( there`s a lot of parts involving the engine and cowling in a quite small space )

3NM5cWI.jpg

The interior looks amazing when done and fits beautifully but then mostly disappears when you paint the top fuselage and fit the canopy

ULgrlJN.jpg

Built almost entirely from the kits contents with just the usual dodgy seat belts and bits of wire for the ignition harness

0E96Pi3.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 52
  • Thanks 3

Another great success, Russ. I like the model in its simple cream-coloured guise and the 'live' pictures. Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Wow —how did you get the beautiful shading and weathering in the engine area?  Oils?? This is stunning. 

Hi DJ, it`s just done with Light and Dark Olive drabs, very Light Grey, Black Enamels and pencil. Dry brushed and smudged about.

Glad you like it, 

Cheers Russ 

Another impeccable and outstanding work of art from you Russ!!!!!!  Not only is the C5M2 impressive but it`s made even better with the outstanding photography and background.  It makes the perfect addition to this already beautiful Babs!!!!!! :clap:

• Like 1

Russ

Increasingly I think I like your builds more than any others on this forum

The level of realism you achieve is just right

Never looks like an overdone model.....always looks like the "real thing"

Incredible and inspiring

Cheers

Bruce

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Does anyone know if any aftermarket is planned for this gem of a kit? Such as vacuformed canopies and photoetch?  

Don`t know about canopy but Fine Molds do a small etched set for the seat belts etc ( according to the instructions )

Hello Russ,

My compliments. Model, photography, diorama it all looks great.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Londo said:

What an amazing built! It’s absolutely fantastic.  Just the canopy masking would give me nightmares for a month

LOL!

Couldn't agree more 

My build stalls and motivation evaporates with uncanny correlation to the requirement to incorporate the canopy!

Clearly Russ has overcome this particular modelling phobia :) 

• Like 1