Daring Class Destroyer “HMAS Vendetta”

Since my admission back into the Xavier Ward for PTSD at St John of God Hospital in Nth Richmond Sydney NSW, the staff has ask if I could leave one of my model ships for display? But since a couple of these a going to form apart of display, “I said I do something a wee bit special which would link in with the work done here on the Xavier Ward and why the Xavier Ward is here in the first place.” So I selected a Daring Class Destroyer by OzMods in Resin 1/700. HMAS Vendetta was the only ship of its class in the RAN to see active service and fire it’s guns in anger. It seen active service with the US 7th Fleet on the gun line during the Vietnam War and from all accounts the yanks prefer her to use her more than other ship on the gun line due her  firepower and accuracy. Between October 1969 to March 1970 she fired 13,295 rds at approximately 1,750 different targets. In fact She and her crew did so well on the gun line the 7th Fleet requested for another Daring Class Destroyer from RAN to replace the Vendetta instead of the more modern Charles F Adams DDG’s that the RAN had in service at the time. 

This model once completed will form a part of the Veterans Week displays done by the staff  and members of the Xavier Ward for PTSD at St John of God Hospital in Nth Richmond NSW Australia.

DB4800E5-BE0D-462E-B44B-0B750FDB997E

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 13

Well I’ve started on the Daring Class tonight and I wish I had my reference books here! The instructions are very basic to say the least and it’s off to the shops tomorrow as need some putty to fix up the 4.5” turrets, as I managed to pack some putty tools by mistake. if I wasn’t in rush to do this build I’ve would ordered new turrets and 40mm Bofors off Shapeways and along with some railing to jazz up the build.

One thing I forgot to mention the ship is post Vietnam as she went into a major refit in 1971- 1973.

2FD6DA04-CB38-4FFA-BFD9-58B49D141728

05893509-79CC-4C4F-B6CC-642624838542

Those little things to the right are meant to be the Bofors? But I have a couple of sets of 40mm Bofor guns from Niko, but they are the WW2 versions not the post WW2. Might be able to get away with the twins if I build a couple of gun shields, but since I have no extra tools to build these shields I could be a wee bit out of my depth with this one and I’m not really want to reply on Auspost either as it took 5 days a to deliver a parcel from Creative Models in the Sutherland Region to me in Nth Richmond in North West Sydney. It would’ve been quicker for me to jump on the train if Sydney’s trains aren’t in a meltdown mode which has been happening a few times already this yr.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

I'll look forward to seeing this happen. I'm pretty sure I remember Vendetta calling into Nelson in my early teens, there was something about the name that appealed. Later on we got Duchess (?) in port in her training ship role, all the dangerous stuff aft replaced by cadet accommodation as I recall, they used to mosey on up around the Marlborough sounds doing seaman like things. Really handsome ship to my eye.

Steve.

Gidday Exkiwi, Are you a mind-reader or what? I had planned on one of these in the future, but her sistership , HMAS Vampire. For two reasons - I like vampires (the good looking ones), and more importantly, the pennant number '11' would be easier to hand paint on the bows than '08'! But from what you've just written I might reconsider and do Vendetta instead. This project will probably be a while though. Plus they are Airfix Darings in 1/600 scale. Another similarity with your kit is that the ships seem to be armed with 12-inch short barrelled guns rather than 4.5-inch. And those hideous Bofors! I'll probably try to scratch build mine.

I'm looking forward to following this build of yours, and as my kit is of the original ship I'll be referring to yours quite a bit, if you don't mind. Regards, Jeff.

45 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Exkiwi, Are you a mind-reader or what? I had planned on one of these in the future, but her sistership , HMAS Vampire. For two reasons - I like vampires (the good looking ones), and more importantly, the pennant number '11' would be easier to hand paint on the bows than '08'! But from what you've just written I might reconsider and do Vendetta instead. This project will probably be a while though. Plus they are Airfix Darings in 1/600 scale. Another similarity with your kit is that the ships seem to be armed with 12-inch short barrelled guns rather than 4.5-inch. And those hideous Bofors! I'll probably try to scratch build mine.

I'm looking forward to following this build of yours, and as my kit is of the original ship I'll be referring to yours quite a bit, if you don't mind. Regards, Jeff.

Have you had a look at Shapeways for after market parts? As there is some British Navy parts in 1/600 which would really suit your Airfix build and if was I able to do it with this build I would replace the all 4.5” guns and the 40mm Bofors guns etc, plus add a few extras as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

One of my favourite ships,what we could have done to our Darings, my dad served on Diana.l have this kit ,it might motive me to build my one.

There is something about post WW2 British built warships up until the Type 42’s and Type 22’s that appeals to me, unlike today’s British built ones apart from Ocean, the two LPD’s, the new Tide Class RFA’s and 4 the U Boats which they shouldn’t gotten rid of post Cold War Defence cuts. It will be interesting to see how the Type 26 and it’s smaller sister the Type 31 evolves? Will Big And Expensive stuff this up again like they did with Type 45’s and I still think the QE’s should still have cats and traps especially what the RAF did to Joint Force Harrier in that stitch up.

I’ll have go back though books and especially by Norman Friedman’s book on British Destroyers and Frigates Post WW2, and D K Brown’s book Rebuilding the Royal Navy after WW2. To refresh my memory on some of the planned upgrades for these two ships as there were some interesting ideas thrown about.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'll look forward to seeing this happen. I'm pretty sure I remember Vendetta calling into Nelson in my early teens, there was something about the name that appealed. Later on we got Duchess (?) in port in her training ship role, all the dangerous stuff aft replaced by cadet accommodation as I recall, they used to mosey on up around the Marlborough sounds doing seaman like things. Really handsome ship to my eye.

Steve.

Yes Steve, I remember as a wee kid growing in Nelson in the late 70’s when you could still go down the Wharves at Nelson Port and walk around to see the various ships along side. I became quite a regular down there or at Airport if I managed to get far especially after I had successfully broken out of my Grandparents house in Bronte St or from my Grandmothers watchful eye down at the Nelson croquet club.

• Like 1

Gidday, thanks for getting back so soon. I've never bought after market parts yet, I'm too stingy, but I've been thinking about it a little. Just a little. For the 4.5-inch barrels I probably would use evergreen 0.5mm rod as I did for the 4-inch guns on the Manxman minelayer builds. Or if I wanted a bit of taper I have used stretched sprue for the aft 6-inch guns on HMS Penelope. If two-thickness barrels are desired (thicker near the turrets) then a couple of extra layers of paint (I use a brush) can work. As for the Bofor 40mm twins I also make my own. Here is one I finished just today. It is the WWII-vintage American style without the post war British style front, side and rear shielding. I don't think that would be difficult to add, though.

Bofor 40mm twin jm3 Bofor 40mm twin jm1

This is at 1/600 scale. The overall length of the guns (barrels and casings) is 5.5mm, the curved bit at the back is the spent cartridge deflector. The close-ups my camera takes shows my rough workmanship.  Still, I've seen the very fine light guns of PE that others have used and I might get the courage to give it a go one day. Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Like 3

A really nice looking kit there. Looking forward to what you do with it mate, (going to have a check online to see of its easily available this site of the world) really good reason to make her.

Geoff 

15 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

A really nice looking kit there. Looking forward to what you do with it mate, (going to have a check online to see of its easily available this site of the world) really good reason to make her.

Geoff 

I’m going to limited to what I can do with is one without having the reference books or jumping on the train to Sydney Harbour for the day to visit her sister ship HMAS Vampire at National Maritime Museum and don’t have a lot of spares either, and those that I do have I’m sort of nicking from my other 3 ships.

19 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, thanks for getting back so soon. I've never bought after market parts yet, I'm too stingy, but I've been thinking about it a little. Just a little. For the 4.5-inch barrels I probably would use evergreen 0.5mm rod as I did for the 4-inch guns on the Manxman minelayer builds. Or if I wanted a bit of taper I have used stretched sprue for the aft 6-inch guns on HMS Penelope. If two-thickness barrels are desired (thicker near the turrets) then a couple of extra layers of paint (I use a brush) can work. As for the Bofor 40mm twins I also make my own. Here is one I finished just today. It is the WWII-vintage American style without the post war British style front, side and rear shielding. I don't think that would be difficult to add, though.

Bofor 40mm twin jm3 Bofor 40mm twin jm1

This is at 1/600 scale. The overall length of the guns (barrels and casings) is 5.5mm, the curved bit at the back is the spent cartridge deflector. The close-ups my camera takes shows my rough workmanship.  Still, I've seen the very fine light guns of PE that others have used and I might get the courage to give it a go one day. Regards, Jeff.

Have a look at mate, there is some really good after market stuff and I just wish there more out than have to buy through Shapeways though like a couple of Aussie firms or Kiwi ones to cut the middle man out. 3D parts is another firm I use as will and I trend to use them first, before I look at Shapeways. 

But it I know the feeling of limited funds as I’m about to get a 25% cut to my DVA pension on the 13th of May, which means no more books or models/ aftermarket parts as I looking forward to buying one or two R09’s when it’s back on the market this winter (Northern summer)..

• Like 1

Well I’m rocketing along with the HMAS Vendetta building and I did a few amount of work today. I’ve been scavenging though the two L Class sets for ladders and place them on the ship, the two aft wings for the twin 40mm Bofor Guns fitted along with the associated PE, and I even started on the masts and as you can see the aft mast is done but fw’d mast is causing a few headaches atm so it will be a tomorrow job along with main radar.

Just one question, what colour would you normally paint the bridge windows, a Matt Black or Blue or some other funky colour?

48F87AA2-4659-4B2A-94D7-620DBB05E5E7

5FB0D225-090A-49AA-BE46-5C1894CA45D9

844B90C9-E1B0-4CF1-807B-C6EE8DCDA0FB

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 9

Looking good!

For the windows at 1/700 I think it's entirely up to you, scale effect makes most windows look dark. Maybe not black, dark grey possibly. The glass may still be taking on some of the colours around, sea sky etc?

If your out to put her onto a sea base how about painting them a similar blue to the sea the giving them a dark or black wash? Could be effective? Or just a black wash over the grey base coat?

Just my pennies worth.

Geoff 

• Like 3

Well not much was done today as I had a fight with a new nurse over my purple box with all the goodies as it had my sharpes in it, so I lose my mojo after this afternoons group therapy for any work on “HMAS Vendetta”. But I did manage to do some on the “HMS Legion” (see over in the HMS Legion thread) and I finally decided to bite the bullet and order a complete new weapons fit out for Vendetta from Shapeways nudging around the $200 Australian. Yep it aren’t cheap, but what can you do? If you have limited tools. Anyway this is what I brought;

https://www.shapeways.com/product/65ZAUYH64?option=64435826&etId=190959887&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=payment-received&utm_content=3

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SMYLYJYU8?option=64449164&etId=190959887&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=payment-received&utm_content=5

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8H7MRWNNH?option=85038615&etId=190959887&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=payment-received&utm_content=4

Fingers crossed they should be here Friday next week,  by that time Ship should be finished all bar the Weapons fit out.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

On 06/05/2019 at 20:25, stevehnz said:

The detail on that stuff is amazing, definitely worth it I reckon.  :)

Steve.

Yeah mate it is worth, but I wouldn’t be telling the MOF as she will hit the roof over this one as my DVA pension is getting cut by 25% as of the 13th May which doesn’t leave much to live off after living expenses are now taking out of ComSuper pension  so no more buy aftermarket products for a while now. I just hope they turn up in time before my discharge, 🤞 

Also the Aussie dollar is now finally dropping (now below 70c US) this also puts a wee damper on things as well including the buying of research books for my models as I only buy when it’s above 70 US cents. I have a back log of books to get though anyway after the lack of rain for this yrs Wet Season (the driest on record for the Darwin/ Daly Region) 

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 2

Well I was fairly busy today with the “HMAS Vendetta” build mainly most of the time was taken up trying to assemble the main mast which almost got the better of me and equally frustrating  was the main radar Air Search/ Defence Radar. Which somehow doesn’t look quite right when you compare it photos of her sister ship HMAS Vampire down at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney Harbour. Anyway I can’t do much to it without my other tools back in Darwin and it’s now been primed ready for painting after some masking of the inflatable life rafts which are white along with the two motor boats.

I received an email from Shapeways, saying the order for the weapons for this build are on their way on Friday just gone so fingers crossed they are here this Friday.

02E2AD8C-551C-42DA-AA79-BAB3F0B86FFF

B653243C-2A4B-45AA-8795-EFE52B87F5AB

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

Well “HMAS Vendetta” received its first coat of paint today, so I’ll have a good look at her tomorrow afternoon. So far, so good atm. 

We have an ex pirate  (Ex CPO Stroker) on the Ward who was on HMAS Diana the replacement ship the HMAS Voyager and he’s been telling me a few stories of his time on the Daring Class Destroyers. He said I prefer the Darings over the DDG’s any days as they were great ships in rough weather and could take a beating as well, plus a decent broadside to boot and a half decent Anti Sub capability as well. Also he said the Daring’s could’ve had the potential for some awesome upgrades like SAM’s, Anti Sub capability if a bit more thought has been taken.

A1D57428-4C54-4976-A9CE-95DB730018D5

• Like 3

I started doing the first coat of paint to the “HMAS Vendetta” build this afternoon, 1with white for the inflatable life rafts and for the top of two motor launchers, and black for the stacks, arft mast, radar, the f’wd mast and the limbo mortars. Will check tomorrow on the whereabouts of 3D printed weapon parts.

35573DA9-1E73-4D18-8250-0E9E4340D2EA

• Like 5

Even that is giving it some life. The updated Darings are bloody nice looking vessels, I don't recall ever seeing one in Nelson though, from memory, when Vendetta came in it would have been pre update.

See here. 

https://photonews.org.nz/nelson/issue/NPN72_19661015/t1-body-d67.html

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Shapeways package turned up at the start of the week. The turrets for the twin 4.5” gun looked the part and as did the single 40mm Bofors. The twin 40mm Bofors were very fragile and were hard to get out if of the plastic case without  damaging them, and I think out of the 12 I had? I had 3 undamaged which were reduced to 2 by the end of today.

E2489598-5515-4425-9083-6A8AD5D15536

889A33E5-0795-4B9E-8044-4C0BECFBC4A6

3DF6C0C5-1147-4446-A057-73C214E2924E

Edited by Exkiwiforces
Flickr now wants to play.i
  • Like 1

Well  I’m almost turning into the home straight with the “HMAS Vendetta” build. I’ve in counted a few problems with this build. 
1, the tubs for the twin 40mm Bofors are small. I didn’t bring any extra tools or with me for this trip.
2, No brass for the catwalk between the Fw’d superstructure and aft superstructure.
3, I think the two motor launchers are a little bit over scale?

4, the mast is not straight due to the fw’d radar is not centred and this did give me a problems at assembling it.

Over this build has been enjoyable, considering the instructions were a little on the basic side. I think if I’m back in Sydney next time I’ll try and pop down to her sister ship HMAS Vampire to do some measurements and take some photos for future reference.

E93CDDA3-6064-4239-8FCC-1E7B868EC6B7

B7CBD599-DC3A-484C-88EB-941B5C7895A4

259E31B6-B5D8-403E-924B-D5871CC9C10A

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

About 2 furloughs to go now, just some touch up painting, glue B turret in place and decals which might be a challenge and again a first for me in this scale.

BF4AB61F-A415-4DD9-9A19-80BCFE0FFCB1

• Like 4