L-1011-385

Hello-I am a novice at commercial airplanes but have flown quite a bit. I flew from Miami International to

Freeport Bahamas in 1983 on an Eastern L-1011-385. Is that model actually an L-1011-500? I wanted to

model a few planes I flew on and I think Eastern Express does an Eastern Airlines 1/144 L-1011-500. Thanks---John

I'm not a Tristar expert but there was no Tristar 385 as such. I believe "385" was part of the FAA certification reference for all Tristar variants although I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

Again as far as I'm aware, Eastern never flew Tristar 500s. Their fleet was almost entirely L1011-1s.  

Eastern Express sell their 1/144 "Tristar 200" in Eastern Airlines markings. For practical modelling purposes all variants of the Tristar except the -500 are similar externally. The EE kit is basically the former Otaki mould. It's not a bad kit but the detailing is heavy and it has some minor annoyances like split main wheels but nothing that can't be sorted with a bit of work and the application of normal modelling skills. BraZ Models make some resin after-market bits including replacement wheels and engines if you want them. I've never used it myself but I believe the BraZ "S" duct doesn't fit properly.

Finally, if you are building a 1/144 Tristar it's worth investing in a set of "photo real" window decals from Authentic Airliners Decals. They are designed for their own resin Tristar but I've used them successfully on the Eastern Express kit.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

Hi John,

There are plenty of EE TriStars on eBay at the moment but only one Eastern Airlines one so you'll have to be quick

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X1%2F144+Tristar.TRS0&_nkw=1%2F144+Tristar&_sacat=0

If you end up having to get the Delta boxing I'd recommend the 26 Decals Eastern sheet which will almost definitely be better quality than the EE decals anyway

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/STS44163

If you want a decent model I'd stay away from the Airfix kit, but if you want the very best model money can buy I have to recommend this when it comes available again

https://www.authentic-airliners.de/epages/64205758.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64205758/Products/K144-43

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Thanks, I knew 385 was a customers number, Boeing does that and I figured Eastern Airlines bought 500s. I am just being sure as I don't

want to buy the wrong kit as I'm not into altering fuselage lengths.---John