Academy - 1/48 - Ta-183 Huckebein

Hi,

If you have a stash with more then 2 kits (we all know 'stash' means a lot of kits) you know this moment when its time to pick the next build.

Sometimes the idea is already there, lurking for some time, like my Vautour build.

Sometimes you are at a loss - trying to guess which one of those will call the right mojo.

With the Vautour done and on its way to my father, and with most of my kits re-located to a new storage I got the following idea.

My stash is huge (3 digits), well beyond the point of being able to build all of it in my lifetime or have room to show it for that matter. I tried several times to put a moratorium on buying new ones but here and there I read or come across a new kits that falls within my area of interest and just can't help it. Not to mention occasional accidental stops by my LHS.

So in effort to reduce the stash I decided I will build the last kit I bought - hoping that this will be a new and good way to reduce the list.

Introducing the Academy 1/48 Ta-183 Huckebein:

d2AsZztl.jpg?1

Spruces mug shots:

VC6ljmVm.jpg Ud2iGt7m.jpg

6sgGCXpm.jpg lNX81POm.jpg

q0WlUrcm.jpg aZHbXoYm.jpg

h3ZWzaIm.jpg?1

A nice little kit, with good detail, some PE, masks and nice but not to complicated paint scheme. A bit of a Luft 46' but I'm OK with that.

You can check Scalemates page for a lot of relevant data.

So - dipping the canopy in Future tonight and starting to look at the instructions.

Ran

Edited by Ran
  • Like 8

Looks like a really nice kit. Did it ever fly in real life, I'm presuming that the Russian stars are for  a captured example. I very rarely do jets and I very rarely (these days) stray too far past the interwar period, but  I reckon one of these needs to find it's way into my stash (still only in double digits btw, although larger if you count my stock piles of plastic card for scratch builds :) )

Well, started on the wrong foot.

While the RLM66 - Model Master 4799 was laid down to a barely acceptable level, the RLM 02 Model Master 4770 came out horrible.

To add to that, upon examining, I found out a couple of sink marks that were ignored.

eHUbXAbm.jpg

oAMybzol.jpg

I'm not sure if the paint quality is due to the paint? thinner (I used Model Master this time), the surface itself (cleaned as usual with soap but without primer)??

So, back to basics.

Paint cleaned, putty applied, marks dremeled down. Next is primer.

gOctaC4m.jpg DbY5Z0Wm.jpg

Keep you posted

Ran

Edited by Ran
  • Like 1

@Marklo thanks. My taste also lies with WW II props although some 50-60 jets can be found in the stash as I also like very much that golden age of aeronautics. 

It is claimed that the Ta-183 design did influence Russian post-war jets (Mig-15) and others as well (Saab-29).

Ran

21 hours ago, Marklo said:

Did it ever fly in real life

The Huckbein never flew, but it inspired the Mig 15, F-86, and the Argentinian Pulqui 2, built with the help of Tank himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is an out-of-order update.

I did not have time to log in the progress for the last two weeks - but I will.
I did tried to prime today and got horrible results - which I would like some help with.

I'm using Stynylrez, the white one this time. I thinned it just a bit with 70% Alcohol and sprayed it through my Grex 0.4 at about 18-22psi.

Here's what I got - the primer does not look like it covers or sticks to the plastic at all:

mL2GXQtl.jpg c15K38bl.jpg

UeibWMwl.jpgvAipXMgl.jpg

ZXOoDstl.jpg

kgYfG6sl.jpg m5npwDHl.jpguAQEJ2zm.jpg

kgHqQ2Bl.jpg

So - any insights? advice?

Best

Ran

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

the primer does not look like it covers or sticks to the plastic at all:

Maybe you thinned it too much.

Thanks @Sturmovik, the layer seems thick and I only added 4-5 drops of alcohol to a third of the cup (probably 2ml) of primer.

Does anyone know if this primer as a shelf life limit? can it go "bad"?

Ran

Pressure 20+/- psi; .4 needle & nozzle through an Iwata HP-C

Shake the s... blazes out of the bottle and spray fairly close up. Works for me !

Good luck !

Rog

Back to order.

I left the last regular update with the MLG doors prepared for painting.

I played around with some paints to pick some of the elements in the MLG bay:

xp6nCbil.jpg

wQrHf3Ol.jpg

I then focused my attention on the cockpit - with the kit's supplied seat belt in PE.

HjY9hePl.jpg

qnpiVHol.jpgXJfsGh2l.jpg

Zspapm7l.jpg

P4PQZ4gl.jpg0LVkTJvl.jpg

Y5zkz4il.jpg

IP emphasized by dry brushing with silver pencil, various knobs picked up with yellow and red.

As the IP does not come flush with windshield and hence its back part is somewhat visible I allowed for some AMS:

zjlpvRRm.jpgHcPT8oUm.jpgB9TFeDSm.jpg

Yhzbt8Al.jpg5E0mf4Bl.jpg

Then it was time to pack it all - not forgetting to put some weight up front:

nDNJbqFl.jpg

DN41eckl.jpg

yr9HGBcl.jpg

Primer followed - and you've all read about that.

I decided to pre-shade instead of re-applying the primer. It turns our my airbrush was in series need for cleaning - as is apparent from that shady performance of pre-shading.

nQBNIjvm.jpglgc01iJm.jpg

Ge6ck9al.jpg

Lucky for me I received UMP primer I ordered a while ago. Hefty price and shipping - but boy does it work smooth.

I used Model Master 4785 RLM 75 and it did shoot smoothly although I should have used some lower pressure to get more control.

ksGMWlKm.jpgXSAwyirm.jpg

wKhY0Pzl.jpg

hT2UtN6l.jpg

Preparing for the 'mottle challenge' ahead.

Comments are welcomed as always.

Best

Ran

• Like 3

On 5/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, Marklo said:

Looks like a really nice kit. Did it ever fly in real life, I'm presuming that the Russian stars are for  a captured example. I very rarely do jets and I very rarely (these days) stray too far past the interwar period, but  I reckon one of these needs to find it's way into my stash (still only in double digits btw, although larger if you count my stock piles of plastic card for scratch builds :) )

No it never got past wind tunnel test models. Kurt Tank (Focke Wulfs chief designer) developed the idea for the Argentinians post war and it is said to be the basis of the USSR's Mig15 .....Any markings will be fictitious so its wide open to the imagination!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I tackled the mottling scheme of decal option #1. It's a wiffer, as the rest of the options.

I've used a template:

Diluted the Model Master 4784 RLM 75 with Ultimate airbrush thinner and went to work.

9obVUmym.jpgn8h2ih4m.jpg

pGiXSwfl.jpg

CCcRybKl.jpg

6QkigH0l.jpg

a7pWTBXl.jpg

aoN1dPml.jpg

I thought its gonna be a bit problem to avoid getting a 'template' look for the mottle - but I'm happy with that I've got.

There are 2-3 places where I botched it - but I'm not sure if I really want to re-paint and re-mottle. Its a wiffer anyway.

That's it for today.

Ran

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Model is completed - finding some time to update.

After the mottling work I painted the black nose:

spacer.png spacer.png

Model was airbrushed with Alclad II Aqua Gloss Clear and then washed with Ultimate weathering wash - for the first time. Found the black stuff was always on the button of the bottle regardless of how many times I shook it. It was easier to work with compared with the Florry wash I use most of the time but it did tend to smear more on the flat surfaces. all in all positive experience.

spacer.png

Next came the decals - worked great and there were not many of those. I always have my doubts when in comes to the Luftwaffe swastika - not opening that discussion. This time I decided to check an new alternative. I'll see how I feel with it on the shelf for a while.

The arrows on the nose worked like charm - a good surprise.

spacer.png

Then it was time for landing gear (great engineering), wheels, external fuel tank, doors, steps:

spacer.png spacer.png https://i.imgur.com/JoZtwkXm.jpgspacer.png

Some Alclad Klear Kote, pealing the canopy mask and cleaning a bit and ... its done.

Some pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well - a nice little kit.

Highlights:

- First time mottling in 1/48 - looks passable.

- First time wiring behind the IP

- Problems with white primer

- First time using Ultimate Airbrush thinner - great experience shooting Model Master paints - including control over pre-shading coverage.

- First time using Ultimate wash - good enough to continue experimenting

- A new alternative to the swastika - let's see how it sits with me

- Fastest build so far

Comments are welcomed as always.

Ran

• Like 3