Heller’s 1/125 Boeing 747: pig in a poke......

...or maybe not.  Opinions seem to vary with some liking it and some saying it’s the worst ever.  It’s the same kit for either modeller so who’s right?  Anyway, while working on the engines of the Revell version I’d bought, and browsing the auction site, I made a BIN purchase of the kit at a giveaway price just to have a look for myself.  From photos I’v seen I know the fuselage is in four pieces and the engines need a little work but everything else about the kit seems to be well detailed and reasonably accurate.  Tom Probert did some work on one in an airliner GB back in ‘16 and Tom doesn’t usually waste time on duff kits.  I expect the kit in the post tomorrow so there’ll be the Big Reveal.  Decals will no doubt be a problem as haven’t found any yet in that scale.  

I’ll find Tom’s build and one by a French modeller and edit them in later.

Thanks for your interest.

Dennis

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t39311-boeing-747-air-france-heller-1-125

• Like 1

My word, a blast from the past...

I was only looking at this sitting forlornly on the shelf of doom last week. I had got as far as painting the undersides and then ground to a halt. Must crack on and get it completed...

I'll look forward to seeing your build when the time comes. FDCAL do some schemes in 1:125 scale if you're after some aftermarket sets.

Tom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Must crack on and get it completed..

Yes please, Tom.  I seem to be going through a 747 phase and it would be a big help.

Decals will no doubt be a problem.  I was hoping to stay with BA or BOAC but no luck unless I’ve overlooked something.  Perhaps I can get something resized?

Dennis

Okay then, the Heller 1/125 kit:  a little bigger than the Revell one.  About 8cm longer in fact.  Except for the break in the fuselage it looks like an enlarged version of Revell’s.   Well it would wouldn’t.

It it is multi-coloured though.  White fuselage, blue wings and grey for the engines and smaller bits.  Don’t imagine they are all that way as the one in the French build — above — looks to be all grey.

One modeller gave his a very negative review saying it was loaded with sink marks, short shots and flash.  I found two very small sink marks, no short shots and only a little flash on a few of the smaller bits.

No scribing, however, but very fine raised panel lines.  And plenty of those.  Tom did some re-scribing on his but if I ever get around to taking this one on I’ll stick with the raised lines and save myself a lot of headaches.

All in all an okay kit I think.  Certainly worth the £8+ I paid for it.

Thanks for your interest.

Dennis

resized_04446bb6-bb44-493a-af7c-db846c97

resized_3a7c46f1-4ac5-4848-b4be-e69b9b8a

resized_b3f73e26-a94b-4375-9e3f-62fea1de

resized_422e4ef5-413a-436f-8937-26bce290

• Like 2