1/32 Scale Decals

Papa4ways

Hi Folk's

I wonder if someone might be able to help me, I've got a 1/32 Scale Model F-4 Phantom, it was the F-4G Phantom II "Wild Weasel", but I've done some small work to it, and converted as best I can to be a Royal Navy F-4 Phantom, however, Decals are proving very hard to come by, would anyone know where I might be able to get the Decals I need, any Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Squadron will be acceptable, Thank You

As always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Hello Papa4ways,

only thing coming to my mind is to print the decals yourself. Here is FAA decal art work by Richard J Caruana. Download the picture in your computer, scale it to the right size and then print on "DIY" decal sheet (like Bare metalfoil).

https://00319fa0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/rjcaviationart/dec/FAA Phantoms.png?attachauth=ANoY7coJqibjSFBPJzvM7Tg4hSHYM15f3eEdV3pUP8LnyrVJ6C1fuHy-sGJ2_-3kM-xBU3XAsBFGnM5NjbQ-MNOUoAAajWxUv6QE86w0wdMXJjEljDa7mI5S_wHtMq5rMKNylXImSXGZ2ssG2twNQTSoFcj06KQLEazaIxCmWfdmUbCdOFdf1FgIghg9uBNtmStlknX3IwN_Q1bmcHTPxpKoHleDzcS5E5Tji6A7N3GKtcV58dk11e0%3D&attredirects=0

Kind Regards,

Antti

Antti_k

Thank you so much for the info, it really is appreciated, and I will get a set run off, and so, the next part of the question, I've never done this before, obviously, where would be the best place to get the Decal Sheets from

Thank you

Fred

Hello Fred,

unfortunately I don't have any personal experience on the subject. You can find tutorials in the Internet (I think there some very convincing ones at Youtube). I bought a set of sheets from a hobby shop here in Finland.

There are different sheets for inkjets and laser printers available. So check your equipment. I have both white and clear sheets as my inkjet doesn't make white colour. Then you need a bottle of Microscale's "Liquid decal film" (MI-12) and an airbrush. When you print the decals they should be left alone to dry for a couple of days (or so they say) and after that sprayed with "Liquid decal". Some modellers say that only laser printers are up to the task and some use inkjets with beautiful results. After applying Liguid Decal film the decals should be left alone once again to dry. According to the instructions on top of the package you can use decal softeners (like Microscale's Micro Set and Micro Sol).

You can find these products from Hannants at Lowestoft. https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=8003&code=&product_type_id=all_decals&scale_id=&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

Kind Regards,

Antti

Papa4ways - 

As I'm sure you've discovered, since there are no mainstream 1/32 kits of a Royal Navy Phantom, there is a correspinding lack of decals for same.  The artwork Antti_k shared with you should be a good start, but for most home printers there are still some challenges with markings in white.

Since most printers don't print white ink, you'll either need to find one that will (the discontinued Alps line being one option), or work around by printing the color markings onto a solid white decal sheet. Keep in mind this requires you to then cut around the perimeter of the artwork, which is only viable if there is a clear and simple border to the graphic.

Unfortunately for your subject, there is a lot of white lettering on the RN Phantom that would be problematic to cut out of solid sheets even with a template (see the bottom section of the decal art noted as 'to be printed in white').  A better solution is probably to use "generic" stencils and numbers, which are available from various manufacturers. 

The sheet linked below from Xtradecal seems to include most of what you'd need, but you might want to double  check the letter sizing (typically expressed as the character height, e.g. 18" letters, 24" numbers) for your model. If the nominal 1/32 isn't the right size you may be able to find 1/48 or even 1/72 sheets for larger typefaces in the smaller scale that work out to what you need. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X32022

To save you the basic math, conversion would be as follows:

Character height in 1/32 = Y

1/48 character height equal to Y = 1.5Y

1/72 character height equal to Y = 2.25Y

So for example, if you need 12" letters on your 1/32 model, you could also use 18" letters from a 1/48 sheet or 27" letters from 1/72.

You may also look for generic data stenciing sheets for USAF or USN Phantoms in 1/32 that could give you the very small maintenance & warning stencils for the airframe. Microscale probably offers the least expensive and most readily available of these, but numerous companies have made Phantom data sheets or included partial data on individual marking sheets.  There are obviously differences between versions and services, but as with your conversion you should be able to mix and match enough to "look the part" for all but the most knowledgeable viewers. Keep in mind the prevailing stencil colors were white above (Extra Dark Sea Gray background) and black below (white background).

Thank You so much Antti_K and CT7567, 

I know the Printer I have wont be able to cope with this job, however, there is a great Printers in town, he'll do anything when it comes to printing, I've used him in the past for things for the Grand Daughters, they love all things sparkly, I just know if I give him the template, the set of Decals Antti_K showed me, they are ideal, just the set I'd want, then I'm sure the Printer will run them for me

It really is a great way of doing things now, but being honest, I don't have what you'd call a computer brain, I know how to switch it on and off, I know how to get the printer to run, but the clever stuff you were on about Antti_K, I'm being totally honest, I wouldn't have a clue, that's why I;m so grateful we've got a really great Printer where I live

I'm really grateful you showed me Hannants stock these sheets as well, I do know them, I've purchased from them before, but I didn't know of the Decal Sheets, that's what I really have learned about this website, everyone is so friendly and helpful, and, it's not all about how good you are, just being a keen builder is enough, which I think is terrific, anyway both Antti_K and CT7567, I thank you for your advice and help, it really is gratefully appreciated

• Like 1

Good evening Papa4ways,

and thank you for your kind words🙂

Another thing came to my mind: RN Phantoms had a lot of stencils all over the air frame. I've prepared a "DIY" stencils set for 1/32 scale F-4J. There is also a very good set available at hannants. It's for Luftwaffe RF-4E but most stencils are good for the FG.1. Those Luftwaffe Phantoms had the so called "Hard Wing" so also the stencils for the wings are correct.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ADS133002

Xtradecal provides a set of British roundels. The set is useful for multiple projects:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48037

And if you don't mind about the letters being slightly too small or too big then Xtradecal comes to help once again (just as CT7567 explained):

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72158

As you can see it is possible to use decals from multiple sheets but this of course can be expensive...

Kind Regards,

Antti

Than You again Antti_K,

It really is kind of you to take the time to not only find them, but let me know of them, that's what I like about using this website, it's all about helping, and showing your work, although with my shaking hands, my standard is way below showing standard, but I do enjoy building Models, I do have a fleet of about 15 Ships with one in construction and two sitting, and a rather large collection of Aircraft, but my Phantom, so far, is my pride and joy, it'll sit atop my bureau when it's done 

I have two 1/24 Scale Planes, one a Spitfire the other a Hurricane, both belong to the same Pilot who flew them at different squadrons, anyway, my Grand Daughters school is built on an old RAF Base, and the Children are split into Houses, and each house is named after an RAF Aircraft, Wellington, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster, I've already donated a built Wellington to the school already, and I've Completed the Hurricane, I'm right now, painting the finishing touches to the Spitfire before I apply the Decals, but the Lancaster, I've told the Head teacher, on this occasion, I'll build it if she gets it, as I think I've done not bad in supplying, building and presenting the other three 

Anyway, once again Antti_K, I Thank You very kindly for your help, as always, it really is appreciated

Best Wishes

Fred

• Like 1