Curtiss H-81 - Airfix 1:48

Hi,

My latest model is the very nice kit from Airfix which is quite enjoyable to build. There are some panel lines that need to be filled in and a few things to be fixed here and there, but nothing major.

This is a the aircraft of David Lee "Tex" HILL of the AVG for which the decals were sourced from a vintage Aeromaster sheet. Exhaust pipes are from QB. Pitot, gunsight and barrels from Master.

Now that it is done, I must confess that I find the wheels ugly and that they would benefit from being replaced.

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Antoine

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by toniosky
  • Like 49

Very nice Antoine. I agree, the wheels are one of the weak points of the kit - I replaced the ones on my Tomahawk with SBS resin versions. I like your subtle weathering. It looks like you may have riveted the airframe or represented some kind of texturing?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

I feel as the others do that you did a superb job on the weathering, Antoine!  Great job on the build overall.  I have a couple of those kits in my stash and will keep in mind your remarks about the need for replacement wheels.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your nice comments

7 hours ago, Mark G said:

Great looking build - would you share details of the paint colours used. I am planning an AVG build of this kit and like your finished look.

Many thanks,Mark

Mark, I am glad you like it. I used Gunze H302, H72 and H62 as recommended by Aeromaster and a bunch of other modellers.

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. As has been said, the weathering is very subtly done. 

I did this kit kit last year (in a Russian scheme) & agree with your comments about the kit, I also found the nose area a challenge. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Superbly built, finished and photographed... If mine turns-out half as good as this I'll be very happy !

Best from NZ

Ian.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your nice comments.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:39 PM, Buzby061 said:

I also found the nose area a challenge. 

Pete

It's true that the fitting of nose area could be better. There is also a small gap between the two parts of the spinner that looked a bit off to me, but nothing challenging to fix though.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, Baldy said:

Very nice Antoine. I agree, the wheels are one of the weak points of the kit - I replaced the ones on my Tomahawk with SBS resin versions. I like your subtle weathering. It looks like you may have riveted the airframe or represented some kind of texturing?

Cheers

Malcolm

Malcom,

Indeed, I riveted the model. I used the work of a Japanse guy as a reference : http://soyuyo.main.jp/p40b/p40be-1.htm , and I invite fans of the type to have a look at this link, it's pretty awesome !

Edited by toniosky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toniosky said:

Malcom,

Indeed, I riveted the model. I used the work of a Japanse guy as a reference : http://soyuyo.main.jp/p40b/p40be-1.htm , and I invite fans of the type to have a look at this link, it's pretty awesome !

Wow! Pretty Awesome is right - fantastic research and some brilliant modelling! Thank you for the link.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1