New project, new scale and new technique

As I wait for hopefully what will be my next big bird, I figured give a crack at a scale that I'm not anywhere near used to doing. I got this as a going-away present from my shop at Mildenhall (rather than the bog-standard cricket bat everyone gets) and now that I feel a little bit more able, I'm going to attempt to tackle this beastie. I'm also going to take a page from @clive_t for the bare metal, but instead of using plumber's tape, I'm thinking what would be better than something used on actual aircraft? And so, on the suggestion of a coworker, I'll be coating her in what we call in the maintenance world "speed tape!"

33878887918_49a4ce5799_k.jpg

• Like 12

Latest update: the front and rear offices are done. I'm hoping that, should she have gone into production, the interior would have gotten some sort of paint job, at the very least an anti-reflective coating, because all that bare metal is bright!

20190506_003038

20190506_003104

20190506_003012

20190506_003025

20190506_003115

• Like 7

I always liked the Northrop wings since I saw the film "The wing will fly". Impressive build of an impressive aircraft!

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andre B said:

I always liked the Northrop wings since I saw the film "The wing will fly". Impressive build of an impressive aircraft!

Cheers / André

I watched it too, and interior seemed green to me. So i used Interior Green to paint cockpit of my YB-49. Anyway, almost nothing will be seen on ready model.

YB-49 may be seen in 1953 movie The War of the Worlds:

https://ok.ru/video/37985979049

• Like 1

The cockpit and rear position are in the plane, and she's sealed up, shame that all that detail that was surprisingly included for such a small scale will go unnoticed due to the small canopy.

47792000921_ce19ae0838_k.jpg

32848525187_e903b04918_k.jpg

47739709912_c38cab0017_k.jpg

47792000151_2e954d8fa8_k.jpg

I also decided to go with a "what-if" scenario, and made her a full production bird, including white landing gear and wheel wells

47791999841_54d6901b58_k.jpg

• Like 2

Last night I jumped in and tested my Speed Tape theory on one of the flap assemblies, and, whaddayaknow, it's a viable option!

2019-05-07_09-36-32

Feeling pretty accomplished, I proceeded to cut the panel lines, so each bit of foil represents an actual panel. Once the flap was done (save the forward wraparound edge, that'll take a long thin bit that I unfortunately don't have) I moved on to the main structure, and I think it looks pretty darn neat for my first go at foiling

2019-05-07_10-18-16

2019-05-08_10-09-09

As per usual, questions, comments and gripes are all welcome!

• Like 4

That looks pretty good to me. Is it possible to get hold of this speed tape commercially? Also, how easy is it to iron out wrinkles etc?

• Thanks 1

@clive_t It is a commercially available product, and not TOO badly priced (did a quick search on Amazon US and found a 2.5in x 60yd roll for around $27.) It's called 1581A by 3M. Biggest problem with it is that there's red stencilling all over the foil face indicating that it's the cold weater product, thereby cutting down the usable area. The other option is vastly more cost-prohibitive, which is 3M 425 tape. As for smoothing, I'm sure you're already aware that the key is to take it slow. However, should any kinks pop up, like they do if you pull up the tape to reallign it, I found that running the back of my fingernail softly over the surface flattens it out nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick little update, the real flightline has been busy, so haven't had much time to devote to my "therapy." The panelling continues, @clive_t for the 1581A tape, the markings are over the lacquer coat, so with a sheet of kitchen roll and a bit of elbow grease they'll come off leaving the bare metal.

2019-05-19_01-42-47

Also, for those building along and attempting this technique, the panel lines molded in are pretty shallow, so further scribing is required to get the foil to "catch" for the panel lines.

Edited by Fulcrum Guy
  • Like 2

Looking good so far! One of the things I found when foiling the Airfix MiG was that the foil, when sanded, seemed to effectively 'close up' the pre-moulded panel lines. They were still visible, but less obviously so - which I think was a happy accident!

I think I'm going along the same lines (No pun intended) with giving each panel a good polish with kitchen roll after I'm happy with placement and cutting

Looking good so far. 

This stuff is self-adhesive isn't it? 

I'd suggest you get an old dog of a kit out of the stash... everybody has one! 

And practice various methods of finish. 

Worn out emery boards, steel wool, metal polish. 

On a test piece you can "test to destruction" if necessary, whereas on a valued model you have to go cautious. 

I know this isn't a rivety type of airframe, but for future you might want to look out for a dressmakers pattern wheel. 

610TH6UZM3L._SX425_

Just run it along a straightedge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late as usual. Grabbing a seat in the back. I've both kits when they were shipped as AMT-ERTL many many years ago.

Great start and progress.

Ron VanDerwarker

7 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Looking good so far. 

This stuff is self-adhesive isn't it? 

I'd suggest you get an old dog of a kit out of the stash... everybody has one! 

And practice various methods of finish. 

Worn out emery boards, steel wool, metal polish. 

On a test piece you can "test to destruction" if necessary, whereas on a valued model you have to go cautious. 

Thanks, since this isn't really my scale, this one IS the testbed, mainly to see if I have the skill and patience to attempt foiling. The foil is self-service, but any peel up "oops" can be smoothed out. I will definitely keep an eye out for those pattern wheels!

4 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Late as usual. Grabbing a seat in the back. I've both kits when they were shipped as AMT-ERTL many many years ago.

Great start and progress.

Ron VanDerwarker

Funny you should say that, the runners are still marked with the AMT/ERTL logo