Shavrov SH-2 Amphibian

Sorry for the pitiful update but not 'firing on all cylinders' for the last day or so.

20190925-172241-1.jpg

The ropiest decals were left for the undersides of the horizontal stabilisers, I think I forgot to put another coat of decal film on, nobody has any chance of seeing them when it's sitting upright anyway. Supports and tail skid are fitted. Everything had a blast of Tamiya Satin varnish. With the exception of the control lines, the tail section is done.

Next I'll be work in around the cockpit before the top wing goes on.

Stuart  

• Like 7

Still battling this 'bug' but managed to do a little bit on the build.

20190927-201002-1.jpg

Seats and control column in. By the time the rear canopy and the top wing goes on, the cockpit detail will disappear.

20190927-201018-1.jpg

Top wing support struts are also in. Looking at this pic, I think that the struts are to big but with my current frame of mind, I just want to get this finished. As I said above, most of this will disappear when the top wing goes on.

Stuart

• Like 5

Still feeling lethargic with this stinking cold but the 'Show must go on'.

20191001-202635-1.jpg

Windscreen on.

20190930-171158-1.jpg

Wheels with axles. Wheel suspension centres were painted aluminium, the outer bits of 't' are effectively elastic bands that stretch under load, much like WW1 landing gear and these were a Stone grey. The assembly was given a wash of Nuln Oil and dry brushed afterwards.

20190930-171820-1.jpg

Wheels mounted on their suspension gear.

20191001-204435-1.jpg

Gear on and now it's an amphibian.

Next:

Drill a small on slope in front of windsreen to mount the wind pump, it will be fitted near the end.

Fit the top wing.

Fit the front centre struts.

Measure the span for main wing supports, make, paint and fit.

Fit engine, cowling and prop.

Investigate possible pitot and location.

Fit control lines to tail surfaces.

Make a base.

Misc items that I've forgotten.

Stuart

Ps. FIT CANOPY, see I did forget something.

• Like 6

The struts do look a little brutal, but as such they fit into the overall look of what may have been the first amphibious tractor! Definitely not designed with aesthetics in mind!

Ian

• Haha 1

Rain stops play outside, so that left me inside...

20191006-133627-1.jpg

I had to scratch a fresh strut as one went walkabout. Took a little effort to fit those front struts to achieve the right angle for the top wing. Canopy also fitted. 

20191006-152257-1.jpg

Hole for wind pump drill out and ready to receive when safe. Top wing on and drying. 

Next:

Measure the span for main wing supports, make, paint and fit.

Fit engine, cowling and prop.

Investigate possible pitot and location.

Fit control lines to tail surfaces.

Misc items that I've forgotten.

20191006-154347-1.jpg

Base. Insulation foam cut at angle to accommodate a slipway. The slipway is made of plasticard and scribed to simulate lengths of timber. The slipway was edged with lengths of cocktail sticks and will hold back the surrounding earth.

Stuart

• Like 7

Nearly there...

20191008-192850-1.jpg

Engine and prop on. Wind pump on. Main wing struts on.

20191008-192751-1.jpg

Control lines on, awkward little suckers they were. I think that's it for the Shavrov itself but no pics until its all finished.

20191008-192949-1.jpg

Base is a little further along. Household filler used in the corners and will be a mixture of earth/ grass and shrub. Everything was primed in Halfords grey primer. The slipway and the vertical logs were given a diluted black wash. The edges of the slipway were weathered using various green acrylic pastels. The milky stuff is acrylic pouring medium by Liquitex and will clear in about 24hrs. The 'water' will eventually be up to the logs but you can't make it too thick or it won't clear.

Stuart

• Like 8

Stuart,

Saw a diorama demo on YouTube using this stuff for water.  Looked very convincing.  I have a tube and will be using it on my M33 dio.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Everbuild-Clearfix-Adhesive-Sealant-Glue-Sticks-All-Even-Under-Water-Clear/383199806237?epid=1006232909&hash=item59387d031d:m:mVQ7-b40Tq836qzABvIqBgg

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, DMC said:

Golden, Stuart, golden!

On 10/9/2019 at 8:52 AM, DMC said:

Saw a diorama demo on YouTube using this stuff for water.

Cheers Dennis. I have forgotten how many times I've watched water videos on there. Sooner or later, you've just got to dive in, keep it simple at first before trying anything fancy.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, Martian Hale said:

This looks great. When the diorama bit is finished, it will look very special indeed.

Cheers Martian, much appreciated. First time for me doing a diorama, it'll be a simple affair.

Continuing with the base...

20191012-160340-1.jpg

After a one step forward, two steps back situation, ie the 'water' that pooled near the edges didn't clear properly, I re-primed the water section, rescribed the boarding, washed and weathered again. A bit of vegetation was added along the sides of the slipway. Sand, grit and rocks made up the corners and painted a dark brown.

20191012-161103-1.jpg

I needed something for scale, so I raided this chubby fella and a fuel drum with it's pump from a Soviet ground crew set by Zvezda.

Stuart

• Like 4