Shavrov SH-2 Amphibian

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

...this is 5mm long and I need to make it nearly half the size. Is that going to be possible? 

My 100 plus treads on the Oerlikon bandstand were each 3mm long bits of plain rod. Challenging enough, but a 2.5mm wind turbine complete with prop does seem to be stretching things a bit! Good luck Stuart, you can do it........

Terry

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moa said:

What I do have is the inclination to help

...and that is great, much appreciated I assure you.

I've been trying very hard to drill this pigging hole in the rod:angry:and obviously I don't have the skill, maybe I should attend his monastery and learn the ways. Until then... 

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Don't worry too much about the rounded front end and drilling it.

... got me thinking. Make the dome from built up layers of PVA. :hmmm:

Stuart 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I've been trying very hard to drill this pigging hole in the rod

Another approach perhaps, Stuart.  A slightly oversized piece of flat strip would be easier to drill.  Leave enough to grip with.  Round it off after you’ve drill the hole. About a toothpick’s width maybe.

And, the reference material is in the post.

Dennis

Edited by DMC
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Moa said:

The props are 3.6 mm in diameter:

See, it can be done with the training in the Shaolin way.

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

but a 2.5mm wind turbine complete with prop does seem to be stretching things a bit!

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, 2.5mm might be pushing it a bit, Stuart.  Good luck with it.

Their are many ways to kin a cat...

20190825-091339-1.jpg

2.8mm front-to-back! According to photos, it looks like each blade is approx the length of the whole pump, so that'll give me a prop diameter of 6-7mm. Front dome done with layers of CA. Job done(ish) for this build anyway. Thanks to @Moa and @limeypilot for their input.

Stuart

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Moa said:

Nice work, Ian!

Is that a wind-driven generator or a pump to feed pressurized air into the gas tank to keep the fuel flowing into the carburetor?

It's a Rotherham pump, an air pump to keep the fuel tank pressurised. Or at least, it represents one!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rubicon has been crossed...

20190901-185131-1.jpg

...and with fresh tin of Doped Linen ACGW10 enamel from Colourcoats, the bird is painted. Well, most of it, I still need to paint the underside of the main wing and the other sides of the struts. Can't to main wing supports yest as I need to measure-up after the wing is fitted.

Stuart

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

That doped linen looks good.

Cheers Terry. The instructions call for Humbrol Linen but I thought it was too yellow and I think this looks better.

Have you got 'your' room back Terry.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Have you got 'your' room back Terry.

Yes! Got it back a couple of days ago, but have been out and about since. Went to Weymouth yesterday and found this place:

Books Afloat

It was mentioned a month or so ago by @TheBaron and although I'd been to Weymouth many times, I never knew it existed. Just about every kind of new and second hand Naval, Air and Military book you could imagine. It's like a Tardis inside. Needless to say I picked up some books, all in aid of the hobby.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi guys, just a little update.

20190904-200809-2.jpg

Being an amphibian, this aircraft needs a set of wheels. As mentioned earlier, the solid centres were bored out, primed and painted with my go to paint of Panzer grey by Vallejo. The spoke wheel centres are PE and again primed and then painted aluminium.

20190904-201131-1.jpg

Both the pump impeller and main propeller were made of wood. Both were painted with the overall linen colour, varnished with Klear before receiving its burnt umber oil treatment. Doesn't look to bad.

Now I have an issue with the kit decals, looking at this image: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/sww2/she2/she2-25.jpg and the kit decals at the beginning of this thread, it will be noticed that the fuselage codes 'CCCP K8' are correct for height but are  are too fat creating an overly long code. Also noted are the sizes of the fuselage and tail crosses are too small.

20190904-210510-1.jpg

So, I copied the kit decals, reduced the fuselage codes to an acceptable length, fuselage and tail crosses enlarged and to keep colour consistency, the larger wing crosses were included but unchanged and I printed another set. Tomorrow the decals will be sealed and may get applied before going on a weeks break to the Lake District.

Chow for now.

Stuart

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Being an amphibian, this aircraft needs a set of wheels.

I thought amphibians had webbed feet .................... 🤔

Nice work on those decals and that wooden prop looks the biz.

Enjoy the Lake District, and wishing you lots of fast air!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

to the Lake District.

Hi Stuart

Have fun!

Our passage for the Lake District is a significant chapter of my autobiography "My Misadventures in The Land of Eng".

We spent in Windermere about two weeks, during four of which it rained torrentialy.

We stayed at an Inn owned by the daughter of a RAF WW2 pilot. They had an honor system at the bar, you served yourself the drink of your choice and left the money in a cup.

The system was good for British subjects, but apparently not for savages from South America, so every time I would head towards the bar she will run to cut me off and charge me for the drink, which amount she poured (stingily, whilst the rest of the British subjects helped themselves to generous double and triple pours).

She also insisted on sitting us at the back of the dinning room, even when there were plenty of tables available in more desirable locations.

When I asked for the WiFi password, she asked why did I need one.

The fact that I was married to, and accompanied by, a British subject (my wife), did not count. I think she regarded her as a traitor.

So one day I decided to become the monster she thought I was, and screamed at her until her hair stood up in panic.

From that day on, we were seated close to the beautiful window, and treated like human beings.

A couple of these photos (I hope you don't mind) are of that Inn.

48679858276_e4fd1df388_c.jpg

48679858116_235aec7a3a_c.jpg

48679517043_a3cb9fd085_c.jpg

48680026657_61d849d044_c.jpg

48679516988_24e06586d2_c.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I thought amphibians had webbed feet ...........

I see your time at school wasn't wasted. :rofl:

7 hours ago, Moa said:

We spent in Windermere about two weeks, during four of which it rained torrentialy.

You're not filling me with joy about my impending journey to the lakes in more way than one. In this fair country, if you step over a country border you're considered a foreigner, so I might get the same treatment that you got. And that car park pic makes me think we may well have webbed feet by the end of it.🐸🐸.

Stuart

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

You're not filling me with joy about my impending journey to the lakes

I am so sorry! Not at all my intention!

I must clarify we had the best of the times in Eng Land.

And there is always a bright side: you don't go out for a walk, you go out for a shower!

You don't go out for a hike, you go for a swim!

I must also say, during those two weeks there were entire hours when it didn't rain.

Seriously: we had a great time, the hikes especially were fantastic, people were friendly. I had to drive on the "other side", so that was scary and I never got used to it, nor to the super-narrow roads. Had enormous difficulty sometimes in some places understanding the local inflection, like in Preston Under Scar, in North Yorkshire, where I was part (the word is a formality) of a one hour conversation of which I didn't understand a single word.

Le Bon Sauvage

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back from my weeks break in the Lake District. Unlike @Moa, we had a great week, very little rain so lots of walking and stuff. And like all holidays, their is always jobs to do for when you get back but now it's bench time.

Just a little update.

20190917-195839-1.jpg

On went the decals. The red crosses and fuselage serials are DIY, the wing serials are from the kit and I will say, they have all settled down very nicely and I doubt any will notice the difference between them. 

Stuart 

• Like 8