Shavrov SH-2 Amphibian

On 6/21/2019 at 2:11 PM, Courageous said:

End of week update.

20190621-125645-1.jpg

Joints filled and sanded. Hull also nicely sanded. Yuk detail removed from hull and replaced with PE examples on both sides. The PE here is all to do with wheel raising and lowering.

More next week.

Stuart

Lovely, detailed work on a pig of kit, this is my vicarious thrill, watching real modellers at work, and no magnetic stands or Alclad in sight!

Anil

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Great work, Stuart

Cheers Martin.

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Sweet Mother Mary, a lawn mower engine strapped over your head and a canoe for a fuselage...what could possibly go wrong?

Too advanced for you Anil. :rofl2:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Lovely, detailed work on a pig of kit, this my vicarious thrill, watching real modellers at work, and no magnetic stands or Alclad in sight!

Real modellers, where?? No magnetic stands or Alclad yet...

1 hour ago, cocky05d said:

Very nice work so far .One thing about Amodel they do tend to have models fof Aircraft that other people don't

Cheers Cocky. Amodel may be a little around the edges but as you say, they produce these rare types.

Stuart

• Haha 1

You are doing well here on a model that fits where it touches. Nice cockpit detail but it will all be hidden, unfortunately. There are a few other builds on Britmodeller and I saw one at Model Expo, so more popular than one might think.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

You are doing well here

Cheers Ed. Don't know how I missed your SH-2, looks great. I just had to do something with the cockpit hence the PE. The PE also offers spoked wheel inserts, so that's a plus. Quite enjoying it really.

Stuart

On 5/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, Courageous said:

growing interest in float planes

I like float planes and flying boats myself, Stuart, and this little kit is cleaning up just fine.  Well done so far.

Dennis

A bit further along.

20190628-144334-1.jpg

Horizontal stabilizers on, minus supports and elevators.

20190628-144326-1.jpg

Stub wings fitted.

Things to do next week; PPP and sanding at wing / hull joins. Fit the  PE control horns to the rudder and elevators, and a few other PE parts on the top hull. Prime.

Stuart

• Like 6

Ian's not wrong - that's a very quixotic set of shapes and details that you're so beautifully rendering there Stuart.

As if the Shavrov bureau were channelling 19th century carriage maker when they developed the design....

Smashing work. :thumbsup2:

I always enjoy seeing Amodel kits built, especially to such a high standard!

On 5/3/2019 at 3:18 AM, Flankerman said:

It's a replica - I photographed it at MAKS 2005...

spacer.png

No close-ups though....sorry!

Ken

There's also a genuine airworthy example at Creve Coeur in the USA. Such a neat machine!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I always enjoy seeing Amodel kits built, especially to such a high standard!

Cheers Zac for your kind words. It's the first time I've tackled an Amodel kit and although it's a little rough around the edges, I'm enjoying it. With the right subject, I'm sure I'll build more.

Stuart

• Like 1

Had a little time at my bench during my lunch break.

20190703-131439-1.jpg

A little PPP applied around the 'roots', might need a little more, we'll see. Also fitted a few PE parts on the rear deck; an access port and three control line port fairings (or whatever they're called).

Stuart

• Like 7

Time to move onto another build step...

20190705-121819-1.jpg

Engine stuff. The kit part looks decent enough but a bit under-scale so a resin option is taking its place. Seen here is the engine cowling, crank and cylinders and the prop.

20190705-124604-1.jpg

Cylinders fixed to the crank and the cowling modified to take the slightly bigger engine.

20190705-131126-1.jpg

3 out of 5 sets of push-rods fitted by close of play.

Chow for this week.

Stuart 

• Like 8

Short week...

20190712-130639-1.jpg

Sorry for blurry image but here is a front view of the engine with push rods fitted and primed.

20190712-130701-1.jpg

Rear view of engine with exhaust stubs added from short lengths of 0.4mm tubing and primed.

20190712-130726-1.jpg

I test fitted the resin engine into its mount and found the cowling was a little short. Having earlier removed plastic from the rear to make it fit, I needed more, so I've added slithers of plastic.

Jersey for hols next week, so no update.

Stuart

• Like 5

Nice progress Stuart. Enjoy Jersey. I have been there many times and had my second honeymoon there, that is with second wife, not first wife twice! I seem to recall a distinct lack of model shops there but lots of bars and great places!

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Well after two weeks away from my work bench, I thought I'd better clock-in.

Jersey...was very nice, my type of place albeit a tad expensive. Found a nice retirement house for a cool £12,000,000...can you imagine how much modelling stuff you can get for that! Over the same period, I managed to get a bit of gout in my right toe. Gout, that's for old people, err...that's me, not very pleasant at all. And then we had the heat...

Anyhoo, update time.

20190730-125829-1.jpg

Cowling all sanded and ready for an engine but not just yet.

20190730-125750-1.jpg

I wasn't happy with the control horns that came with the PE set, they were too small, so another PE set containing 1/72 control horns and stuff came to the rescue and these are fitted here.

20190730-125620-1.jpg

And here we have a nicely painted engine, painted overall with Humbrol 11 silver acrylic, washed with Nurn oil and push-rods highlighted with silver. Exhaust stubs painted with Vallejo beige brown acrylic and dusted with graphite from pencil. Looks pretty cool to these eyes.

Stuart

• Like 5