Shavrov SH-2 Amphibian

This kit somehow found its way into my car when I was at Modelkraft Model Show at the weekend. I had never heard of this type but looks rather interesting.

First some 'fluff'.

The Russian Shavrov SH-2 was an amphibian aircraft in a sesquiplane design that was developed in the 1930's for use as a trainer, fishery protection, patrol and an ambulance. The SH-2 was made primarily of wood and was powered by Shvetsov M-11L 5-cylinder air-cooled radial engine, driving a 2-bladed propeller that was capable of producing 100 hp. Being an amphibian, the SH-2 was fitted with wheels that could be lifted by a hand crank that was fitted on the cockpit dashboard. The cockpit had seats for the pilot plus one other and in the ambulance roll, had room for a stretcher patient behind the seats. Over 700 were built when production started in 1934 and proved very popular with pilots, staying in  service until 1964.

The kit.

20190429-123935-1.jpg

The boxart, looks rather cute.

20190429-124200-1.jpg

1 plastic sprue.

20190429-124225-1.jpg

Second sprue.

20190429-124253-1.jpg

Third sprue.

20190429-124317-1.jpg

Clear bits.

20190429-124424-1.jpg

Decals.

This will be the first time that I have encountered an Amodel kit and I have few illusions of the work that will be needed with a limited-run kit. A quick inspection of the main sprues show the usual flash and the detail is a little lacking. The glazing is a little thick with a number of options available. Decals look good but only time will tell how well they will go. 

If anybody knows anything about this puppy that could be useful, chip in.

Stuart

• Like 20

That's a really esoteric looking machine; it will be a good talking point when finished. In service until 1964! It must have seemed quite archaic by then. 

Watching with interest.

Jon

7 hours ago, Jonners said:

Watching with interest.

Thanks for the interest. This build is running in parallel with my lunchtime tug build so don't expect a fast build. I use the term ' In service until 1964' rather loosely as we don't know the service is. Apparently, their is one that is still flying and attends air shows occasionally. 

Stuart

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Apparently, their is one that is still flying and attends air shows occasionally.

It's a replica - I photographed it at MAKS 2005...

spacer.png

No close-ups though....sorry!

Ken

• Like 7

Hi Stuart

I like this one.

If you input the name in Cyrillic on a search engine you will get bucketloads of info and images:

Шавров Ш-2 (copy an paste on the search engine of your preference)

Your presentiments about the Amodel kit will prove to be accurate, no doubt, being a very old release, but Good will eventually triumph.

May the Schwartz Be With You.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

It's a replica - I photographed it at MAKS 2005...

spacer.png

No close-ups though....sorry!

Ken

ah, ha! I was there too :)

Martin

• Like 1

Looks like you are in for some "fun", I shall watch with ghoulish delight.

Martian 👽 

• Haha 2

@Moa, thanks for the links and the Cyrillic, much appreciated. Lots of very nice stuff and will give it a good look later.

5 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Enjoy, seems like a model is hidden somewhere into these sprues....

27 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Looks like you are in for some "fun", I shall watch with ghoulish delight.

Cheers guys, you're filling me with lots of confidence. :rofl:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Haha 2

Thought I'd take some snips and a scalpel to the parts today.

20190429-125353-1.jpg

Well, what can one say... limited run kit, warts and all. The parts are quite thick and those seats show that to good effect. Parts are generally quite chunky, the smaller parts will be replaced by scratch options and having recently been pointed to a PE set for this, may make an appearance too. A quick inspection of the major parts; the hull halves and the deck, I find strange 'dog-leg' arrangements on the edges and I can only put it down to part alignment. What ever it is, it isn't helping with part fitting, particularly with the deck/ hull join.

Oh what fun.

Stuart 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

While I wait  for the PE set to arrive, I thought I'd have a little tinker with some assemblies.

20190516-125822-1.jpg

Here we have the lower wing/ stabilization floats. Each wing stub was made from two parts where the mating surfaces were not very nice and required thinning and sanding before they sort of fitted. As can be seen, filler and sanding will be required, maybe a few times before we have something good enough.

Stuart 

• Like 9

Wow, those parts look rough!  As you say, Stu, it looks like you're going to have quite a sanding job on your hands, but at least there seems to be plenty of plastic to work on.  Not quite what you might expect from a modern kit!

Jon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

plenty of plastic to work on. 

Indeed but subjects such as this are always going to be limited run and we are meant to be modellers and not just assemblers...

Stuart

• Like 1

Bit late joining this one Stuart, but I'll slide in at the back here. A very interesting choice of subject I must say, although given the production run figures of 700 plus, there must have been quite a few around once!

Watching this challenge with interest.

Terry

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

A very interesting choice of subject I must say

You obviously didn't notice my growing interest in float planes when we met at Telford last year...and this is a recent acquisition.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

You obviously didn't notice my growing interest in float planes when we met at Telford last year

Ah yes, now you mention it I do recall you talking about that. Float planes do have a certain appeal I must admit. I don't think I have built one since my old Airfix Arado 196 back in the 70's! 

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 7:40 PM, TheBaron said:

Very much like these quixotic subjects. Good luck with this Stuart! :thumbsup2:

Don't know if any of the material here is of use or you've already found it?

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/detailed-photos-and-drawings-of-shavrov-sh-2.18079/

Cheers for that. Some nice extra images to work with there, thanks.

I have been away from the lunchtime workbench of the SH-2 and was greeted by a few purchases:

20190528-121332-1.jpg

the PE detail set that looks interesting and a resin replacement engine as I read somewhere that the kit engine is not the right size.

I have also been working on the lower winglets; a little filler and sanding.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 2

Although I'm itching to get in to the cockpit, I'll finish what I'm doing first.

20190529-125638-1.jpg

The winglets have had a bit of filler and sanding and just need a little rescribe along the fixing line.

20190529-125358-1.jpg

For some reason, instead of the wings being a top and bottom configuration, these had rectangular inserts. Due to overly thick inserts and/or the insert recess not being deep enough, parts had to be thinned before the inserts would sit flush. The resulting rectangle will need filling and blended in. The rib detail, isn't raised, it's two parallel lines and I'm yet to decide whether I will fill these too, which is likely, as photos don't show it very well. What I may well do is some subtle masking and painting to show the ribbing detail, we'll see.

20190529-125458-1.jpg

Centre wing section that also has the engine nacelle, more filling and sanding.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a little bit and there on this little thing, so I thought a little update wouldn't go amiss.

20190607-144144-1.jpg

Fuselage (or would that be hull) halves eventually fitted but needed  a good clean up  before hand. Some PPP and sanding was needed inside and out along the keel.

20190607-144156-1.jpg

A restoration SH-2 showed internal ribbing in the cockpit area, so that's what I'm doing here. If you're wondering, the left cross-member will serve as the stretcher support and the main cross-member is the support for the seats.

20190607-144229-1.jpg

While we're talking of cockpit's, I thought I'd also crack on with the PE required for. The 'square' part in the centre is the floor-plate with rudder control and is made up from 4 parts. The PE seats look rather smart but had to be modified to make them less wide as the wouldn't fit side-by-side when fitted in cockpit. These are individual seats but I've decided to join them together for easy fitting. The seats have been primed, because i wanted to and will be painted a medium grey, as is most of the cockpit. No belts as far as I can tell were fitted until much later in the aircraft's life.

Stuart

• Like 9