Yes it's yet another Airfix Phantom

A ready for inspection topic is now over on the other pages. Thank you all for you comments and support on this build

Now for something a little different - a 1:72 Revel Harvard (as its the only model I could find).... currently rubbing down and engraving recessed panel lines (much to learn)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well. It was all going so well. I'd repainted the crew steps... the instructions said yellow, but that was clearly wrong and they're now dull red that photos and that BBC Sailor series illustrated. Anyway, I was taking some further, for inspection, photos and one of my lamps toppled over and landed on the aircraft nose. Canopies popped and mirrors damaged in forward canopy, rear canopy bracket slightly fractured, and nose wheels flew off. 

Bu@@er.

I've removed the axle stubs from the nose leg as one was fractured, drilled the leg out with a 1mm clearance hole and then used a short length of 1mm wire as a new axle and reattached the wheels.

IMG_20191126_200533186_HDR

IMG_20191126_204340941_HDR

The rear canopy bracket was straightened and strengthened with non odour superglue... and I've removed the paint from the mirrors and I'll sort those another evening... one perhaps when I'm not so tired.

IMG_20191126_212200023

But here's a quick repaired status pic with those wretched red ladders

IMG_20191126_211530940_HDR

Anyway...

Serves me right for meddling I suppose

Jonathan

Edit..... oh and I removed the rocket pods. Their means of attachment was a bit ropey and I think it looks cleaner without them.... and I can see the brassin TERs a bit better now.

Edited by Jon020
As noted above
  • Like 6

Thanks all.... yup, it happens. To me anyway 😜 Anyway, after a little cussing I managed to get the mirrors resoldered to a new frame, which fits in the glazing ok. Will prime, paint, trim and fit this sometime after the next few days away.

IMG_20191128_201328059_HDR

Hopefully I'll not break this one 😉

Cheers

Jonathan

• Like 3