Yes it's yet another Airfix Phantom

1 hour ago, sniperUK said:

Going well, but XT864 before it had the tail RWR fitted was coded 011 not 007, I believe it became 007 late 72-73. 

Ah.... I did wonder about that. Oh well.... Artistic license I guess. A bit late to correct bit now really.... I'll not tell anyone if you don't...  Please 😉

It does also explain why I'd seen 007 on a different a/c in photos... limited research on my part. Thanks for clarifying my error .... but I'll live with it 🙂

cheers

Edited by Jon020
Added to
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Going well, but XT864 before it had the tail RWR fitted was coded 011 not 007, I believe it became 007 late 72-73. 

Hi SniperUK. I was wondering where you were able to get your info, as I've continued to search... the variables were date RWR fitted, date it became 007 and date it had the underside serials repositioned so they're on the inner wing forward of the U/c bay. My intent was aiming for between becoming 007 and having RWR (which I assumed was when a repaint would have moved the serials). I'm guessing this would be recorded in the Form 700 .... assuming it had one, but whether that still exists I've no idea.

Otherwise I'll resort to imagination and artistic license as mentioned and forego the historical accuracy.

But cheers

I have the full details of 864s history somewhere, I will see if I can find it, obtained from the Ulster Aviation Society who now have 864 and returned it to its final FAA scheme. I believe that we have the 700s or at least some of of them but the full history is at the hangar. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sniperUK said:

I have the full details of 864s history somewhere, I will see if I can find it, obtained from the Ulster Aviation Society who now have 864 and returned it to its final FAA scheme. I believe that we have the 700s or at least some of of them but the full history is at the hangar. 

, Excellent.... thanks. I did look at the Ulster site that has amazing information on the restoration, and I was clearly expecting too much to see it's full history, but it would be interesting to see when it received certain updates.... at least I'd then know how much fiction to apply to fact.

Thanks again for the reply and information. It's one of the things that these forums excell at.

Thanks

Jonathan

• Like 1

I decided that a few more details needed sorting, namely the canopy mirrors and, given that the front etched steps now won't fit, maybe the pull down steps. Mirrors are soldered to a 0.6mm wire "frame" to ease installation into the canopy later. Solder together once tinned first... and wire frame shaped to sit in each canopy... note different shapes... to be cut to length before use.

Steps folded and soldered and shaped a little (from same set as main etch steps shown previously) ... and check of a few photos i had of XT914 that I took during a TLE photoshoot last year.... which proved useful. I'll drill a small hole in the fuselage that should be so small to hardly notice. We'll see.

Here assembled... ready to prime.

Canopy mirrors... on frame for inserting into front of each piece, and pilot's pull-down crew step.

• Like 3

A few more images after a little tidying up... and those cockpit mirrors awaiting trimming, and steps to be fitted.

Front quarter Starboard elevation to scale Extra details

Still a little to do... but pleased it's looking reasonable.

Cheers

Jonathan

• Like 6

Ok.... I'm calling this a day for the time being. I'll take some better photos when light permits and I've gone back to check the model for items I've forgotten. Weathering is light, primarily a little panel wash (more underneath than on top) and then only really around moving parts and opening panels like the engine bay panels... and some airbrush misting of a dirty black mix (black and brown) back from the exhausts. 

Nose pull-out steps are just pushed in to a hole and rear steps just hung. The mirrors inside the canopies went in on. I used some "glue n glaze" to secure the ring and then touched up the paint.

It's a model that I'd like to have done more with.... and some bits better than I managed, but as long as I reflect that its my first full aircraft kit in 30 years then I'll try to be pleased with the result. 

To be honest.... I think I am.

A couple of images for now.

49034567408_798cc1921a_b.jpgAirfix Phantom FG1 (2) by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49034567223_2ab957590a_b.jpgAirfix Phantom FG1 (1) by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Thanks for following this thread... for commenting and for keeping me positive when it's not always gone right. I'll post a ready-for-inspection topic once pictures permit.

Thanks again

Jonathan

Edit - in fact I've just removed the inboard rocket pods because I wasn't happy with their sit - I think its the TER on the pylon... but now its not so obvious.

Edited by Jon020
As noted above
  • Like 10

As mentioned last night, I wasn't happy with the sit of the rocket pods, and despite removing the inner ones, that didn't look "aerodynamically" right either. So I re-fettled the attachment and managed to get a better look to how they sat - all because one port TER isn't quite straight on the pylon - serves me right for trying so many after market items on a first build (but lots of lessons learnt).

A few more images, snapped using a 98000 lux light source - filtered by some thin clouds this morning. Images stacked and shorted in Photoshop

49039029277_e012412671_b.jpgXT864 Starboard front quarter by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49038310738_39460a67c5_b.jpgXT864 upper view by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49039029562_e791772a9d_b.jpgXT864 Front port quarter by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I think, that will do.

I've found some slightly damaged (scuffed) varnish on the starboard mid body (careless handling) that I might touch up - or leave... will see!

Thanks all for following this, my first build. It's been fun

Jonathan

Edited by Jon020
put the same image in twice by mistake
  • Like 10

That is beautiful! The detail you put into it is amazing and the paint work is top notch.  I especially like how realistic you made the natural metal parts look!

Also, compliments on the photography!  This is an area I would love to improve on. I scanned an article once on image stacking and it seemed complicated.

Is there an RFI?  I think I'll go look.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 17:20, opus999 said:

That is beautiful! The detail you put into it is amazing and the paint work is top notch.  I especially like how realistic you made the natural metal parts look!

Also, compliments on the photography!  This is an area I would love to improve on. I scanned an article once on image stacking and it seemed complicated.

Is there an RFI?  I think I'll go look.

Thanks for the comments. I'll have to sort a RFI post one day this week...want to get some better photos first.

I tend to take four or five photos for each pose, varying the focus point so that the first covers the nearest point of the model and the last, the furthest. Camera on tripod, set manually with as small an aperture as possible. I then open each in turn in Photoshop camera raw and apply changes to levels as needed, applying the same settings to each image. I then open them all in Photoshop and place sharper aspects from each image onto one of them as seperate layers adjusting size slightly to suit. Sounds complicated, but reasonable straightforward... Just takes time. I've not got any stacking software.... I ought to get some.

Cheers

Jonathan

• Like 1

Thanks again... and apologies once again for a lack of RFI thread... I'm having difficulty in getting final photos I'm happy with. I've tried various light set ups but on review they've too much of a white balance variation to really be satisfactory. I think I need to give it some more thought and not try to rush through getting half acceptable images in the brief time available in the evenings. However, I thought I'd share this one as the back-end hasn't really been presented as of yet... and I'm reasonably pleased at how that bit all came out. I've now bought some alclad paints and I'll use those for the metal sections in the future - or rather I'll give them a try on something first. I know that many praise various other paints, but I'm a lover of enamels so I'll give Alclads a go.

Anyway... showing off it's speyed rear end

49056403346_c9f0f2721e_b.jpgXT862 rear quarter by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

• Like 7