Yes it's yet another Airfix Phantom

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

This is coming on a treat, Jon. Some teeny tiny pieces there! I’m sure I’ll get round to one of these some day. If you haven’t already read it, I recommend ‘F-4 Phantom’ by Robert Prest. An unusual writing style, but I loved it when I was given it as a teenager and still do.

Jon (yes, me too!)

Hi Jon. Thanks for the comment and book recommendation... Oddly enough, I'm half way through that book at the moment. Apart from it being very clear that he's a pilot and nothing else, it's an interesting read. I've got the phantom in focus by David gledhill to read after this too.

Cheers

Three steps forward, two steps backwards.

well.. i'd hoped to be at an early painting stage by now, but there have been a few frustrations, primarily due to the need to do more cleaning up once some primer went on than I'd expected, but such is life. To be honest, I'm not really very happy with the achieved finish using the aerocraft parts, but this is my fault and no fault of the parts; i probably should have stuck to more out of the box in this area with the complications in getting it all to fit and my novice status ... but there we are. I tried. I think that one outer intake piece is slightly inset from where it should be on the lower surface (only just realised) and this probably accounted for the amount of material I needed to remove on the side of the body to blend it in. Lesson learnt perhaps.

48198205826_0c5efd5e10_b.jpgIMG_20190628_205507867_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

But i was getting there. I tend to simply use Halfords primer (in a can) and then sand back carefully afterwards to a smooth finish (using 1000 and 2000 papers) and this usually works. But.... this manipulation has taken its toll. Last night I noticed a deep panel line where one shouldn't be, on the top of the starboard intake shroud between the splitter plate and shroud... yes, it was a crack. The outer piece had come away from the resin splitter plate, just a bit, but enough to show up. maybe I knocked it at some point 😞
Anyway, I managed to seem some very thin Bob Smith Industries odourless superglue into the crack and across the top and apply a rubber band to hold it together. I dabbed a few drops of the glue over other small blemishes that I'd noticed that didn't warrant use of filler... and put it to one side. 

Tonight, I took it out and re-sanded it all back, and apart from a little re-scribing, it will hopefully be ok. But then I managed to knock the central cockpit spine piece (between the cockpits) and it broke loose - held in by the masking tape only. Another 50p into the swear box. 

48198205351_7a868972d8_b.jpgIMG_20190704_182245470 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I've now glued that down with the same stuff and got masking tape holding it all down. I'll put it to one side for another day (I'm knackered anyway) and come back to it later. Hopefully it'll be secure, but will then need tidying up and we'll see. Masking tape will probably need reapplying... and that was so much fun!

We'll see.

Sometimes these things happen eh. And it's my first aero model for some time, so maybe I was holding out too much hope and too high an expectation. Anyway...

Keep Calm and Man Up!

Jonathan

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Probably time I posted an update, considering that last time, things were going a little awry. Progress has been slow, but only due to other demands on time... so, where were we, oh yes, fixing my balls up with the cockpit centre arch. That was glued back in place carefully... and i took a quick snap of the open tubs just for the record (seats are carefully put away for the time being.

48538209586_b385e26518_b.jpgIMG_20190705_171227345 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

The tubs were re-masked using plastic card templates rather than the tape ones last time; with edges masked in thin tamiya tape, and all sealed with some maskol. Should keep the paint out.

48538209386_2c29c3b746_b.jpgIMG_20190706_184044267 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I then set about applying several thin layers of white (humbrol enamel) working initially using satin paint (per the instructions) but moving to matt to give better coverage and opacity; it took quite a while to get a smooth(ish) covering that was opaque ... and that I was satisfied with. The inner wing pylons (and Brassin TERs) got several coats, along with flaps and horizontal stabs... and anything else that needed to be white that was ready for paint. Set aside to dry for absolutely ages!

Then I moved over to the landing gear and looked at it and sighed... yes, it could be better. I’ve the eduard bits so I set about installing these, but be careful what you cut away – don’t follow the instructions as you’ll lose the side stays (!) I fabricated a few items from plasticard to add support to the scissor link and the extra trailing (door?) link as seen in photos using 0.4mm wire... a tie down hook was also crudely fashioned from the same. Rings on the side stays are masking tape strips.

48538353472_1749608d1c_b.jpgIMG_20190727_164154207 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I stood the aircraft on its legs just to see how it sat – getting the main gear to slot into the holes was a PITA but a little fettling got me there.... here the nose leg has yet to be fettled... but you can see the white coat on the undersides.

48538208971_b6b9c2007f_b.jpgIMG_20190729_195459725_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Whilst looking at these, I took out the kit wheels... and the brassin wheels. Yes, the kit wheels can go away again – I’ll use the resin ones. These eventually got treated to a few coats of white.

48538208801_ec12e67d83_b.jpgIMG_20190729_200704045_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Right... I took a look at a few photos I’d snapped of XT914 at Waddington (yes I know it’s a FGR2, but the upper bits are common) and added representations of what I presume are the steering units and another module (plastic rod "turned" in a minidrill bit, shaped with a sharp blade)... along with some wire for the ducting on the leg. I didn’t like the flimsiness of the eduard scissor links, or the absence of any obvious way to attach them to the leg, so I left the plastic ones and added parts of the eduard bits on top. I’m sure it’ll pass when only quickly glimpsed.

48538352857_a6023d304e_b.jpgIMG_20190731_174901806_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

The gear doors are either enhanced or replaced with the eduard bits..... I’d been thinking about how to fashion these, given that the aerial on the nose gear forward door would be fragile if just glued... so I soldered them, initially tinning the inner surfaces of the pieces and then folding and swetting them together to make them good and strong. The blade antenna was then added in a similar matter (once reshaped) ... and I left off the small probe (TAT or Pitot) that the instructions imply adds to the door too – they don’t on a RN FG1... or not in any photos I could see. There is one further forward on the nose... but not the door. I added a piece of flatted wire to the nose doors to help attach them when it comes time to do so... again, soldered in place. Good and strong.

48538352657_f47dbf6aef_b.jpgIMG_20190806_183614951_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Spey exhausts masked to receive a lighter shade of humbrol metalcote... the insides and other items being of the gun-metal shade. Masking cut using a compass cutter. Seemed to work ok. Note – resin items used.

48538352447_9d17de558c_b.jpgIMG_20190809_185907480_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Once painted and assembled, there was a little fettling to thin-down and clear up the “speys” to get them to fit well enough into the holes... this is purely a factor of my cack-handed approach to the after marked items and thinking that all is going well, when trial assemblies reveal that further fettling is needed. We live and learn. Initial fettling on the right.

48538351447_c73ab61c21_b.jpgIMG_20190812_175321804_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Upper auxiliary intake doors soldered (as per the u/carriage doors) and then bent to shape (that took some trial and error to conform to the fuselage shape and some toing and frowing.

48538207966_8d1e06dd14_b.jpgIMG_20190810_112412612_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I then had to devise a means to secure these doors to the aircraft and opted to replicate the kit parts... making a pair of plastic strip standoff parts that were shaped to suit... superglued in place.

48538351172_d3805f5bca_b.jpgIMG_20190812_182058507_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Back to the exhausts and a quick test fit – which after some fettling around the rear openings and fairings went in ok. Some weathering will hide that colour demarcation evident on the No. 1 exhaust.

48538207701_aecfc98e6f_b.jpgIMG_20190810_124534617_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Masking – blimey that’s a fiddle to work out the forward parts – but this will do. Some show the undersurfaces of the splitter plates in white – other’s don’t. The photo I have of 007 in circa 1972 has them grey.. so that’s what I’ll follow.

48538351742_61940c4d9d_b.jpgIMG_20190810_183706023_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

A few light coats of Humbrol  Satin EDSG (123) tested on some small parts before tackling the aircraft as a whole... because whilst I’m happy spraying matt, I’m less happy with satin (or the dreaded gloss)... but after a second coat, these looked ok. Some lighter shades (DSG and SG) may be added to represent at-sea fading on the upper and exposed surfaces... but not yet. Yes that’s an EDSG centre tank... again per the 1972 photo – and I think it looks better (more purposeful). The photo also has it armed with 4 matras... so I’ve knocked these up too whilst the paint is drying. Some detailing too – once I’ve researched them a bit. More detailing ... my favourite bit!

48538350962_d2c4360c09_b.jpgIMG_20190813_200414252_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Any unevenness in the final paint finish will disappear after some gloss varnish (for transfers) and then some matt varnish to seal and unify... so hopefully, it'll end up ok.

So... some progress is being made and I'm happier than I was a few months ago. Amybe I can still crack this modelling lark to a degree ... and carry on marvelling at those that excell. And above all, its a great break from everything that modern life throws at me.

Thanks for reading.

Jon

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick "teaser" update and I'll write a fuller update soon... but having had a couple of weeks off at the end of last month, I made some progress. Suffice to say, most colour is now on and a gloss topcoat or 5 has given me a good enough finish. Hot section only just finished so needs to dry prior to buffing (metalcote) and gloss coating to seal.

It'll do for now. Lots of lessons learnt and far from perfect, but still lots to do.

Image until I can post it here

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and apologies for not posting an in-post picture; I was struggling adding the last post using my mobile; yup... didn't work. So... some quick "this evening" shots, whilst awaiting some touch up and detailing points before the next stage. Paints all humbrol enamel - 123 Satin EDSG with some slightly lighter DSG added at the drifting in stage, all of which was lost under the coats of gloss, but may reappear once the satin/matt coat goes on at the end pre-weathering. Metal sections are metalcote 27002 polished ali and a mix of 27003 polished steel and a little 27002 to lighten. it a little - but I'll probably darken it a bit more later on. Thanks for the comments and apologies for not posting an in-post picture; I was struggling adding the last post using my mobile; yup... didn't work. So... some quick "this evening" shots, whilst awaiting some touch up and detailing points before the next stage. Paints all humbrol enamel - 123 Satin EDSG with some slightly lighter DSG added at the drifting in stage, all of which was lost under the coats of gloss, but may reappear once the satin/matt coat goes on at the end pre-weathering. Metal sections are metalcote 27002 polished ali and a mix of 27003 polished steel and a little 27002 to lighten. it a little - but I'll probably darken it a bit more later on. Some weathering will darken everything anyway.

Gloss is my nemesis... I've yet to be completely successful getting a smooth coat, and some of the images will show a little orange peel effect... but hopefully is still smooth enough to allow the transfers to settle. Having read (or skipped through so far) the article about Humbrol in the Airfix mag this month, I might give their gloss cote a go next time... and I'll certainly try the alclads now that I know you can put it on first as a base to the colour enamel on top (it suddenly now all makes sense... whereas the metalcote needs a clear coat over the top to stop it rubbing off.

So... the aircraft. All other bits are painted too - including flaps, pylons, tank, rocket pods, gear legs, wheels, canopies and engines. More of thee next time.

48706757371_d2d625fc2b_b.jpgIMG_20190909_175451970 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

48706757571_56a42b06e9_b.jpgIMG_20190909_175519693 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

48706757676_face8b4d88_b.jpgIMG_20190909_175547571 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

It's getting there... but so is Christmas.

Thanks for your support and comments

Jonathan

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

After some varnishing, swearing, re-varnishing, more monies in the swear box (I hate gloss coating) I eventually settled on using Humbrol gloss (I got some satin and matt too) and gave the model a reasonable coat... although it did need rubbing a little with some micromesh to get fully smooth for the transfers. I started on the transfers... blimey there were a lot... on the nose section, then the underside working rearwards. I eventually noticed that Airfix had missed two transfers off the sheet and stencils instructions.. but they're there on the colour sheer - small yellow and red dots on underside of rear engine bays; there are four sets in total, the kit provides 2 ... shussh - as long as I don't tell, nobody will know. I elected to deviate a little from the instructions with the underside serials, which for this aircraft would be the single piece markings that sit ahead of the gear doors on the inner wing section...  but that's really post 1974, and I'm doing circa 1972, so I went for the other ones... with about 7 or 8 transfers per serial set. At least it looks more interesting and hey, who needs to rush.

48905452542_ab30443960_b.jpgIMG_20190930_180925938 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Note, the engine exhaust units have been plugged in loose...  but these have since been re-rubbed down and re coated with aluminium and varnish and will have a colour band added again later (I wasn't happy with how they looked - a little worn)

Once the underside was done, I applied a light gloss coat (which needed micromesh rubbing afterwards - but looked ok in the end) and then set about the upper surfaces... and everything else. Crikey - what a lot of transfers. I used plenty of microset and microsol, going over some of the bigger ones with a scalpel along panel lines where necessary and resetting with microsol... especially where the rudder is turned for the tail sqn marking flash - that I needed to touch up with a little strip of one of the missile markings (same colour) to neaten it afterwards.

48904728098_bb7bafa473_b.jpgairfix phantom update by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

This took several evenings over a week or two - or three.... but then it was done (or was it?) I gave the results a coat of satin, and then another.. and then noticed that I'd forgotten the fuselage serial and ROYAL NAVY marking... oops. 

This has now had a coat of localised gloss and I'll get these back on during the week one evening (I hope)

48928721686_09f60e62b3_b.jpgIMG_20191020_121039868 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Ive also knocked up a set of the Flightpath PE steps... these took some fiddling with and trial fitting to a spare fuselage (in another phantom kit) and over the intake of the project to check angles and fettling

All items soldered

48905248811_3665d6d59e_b.jpgIMG_20191012_212322301_HDR by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

48904729028_fda9da9e00_b.jpgIMG_20191012_222628638 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

These had a length of 0.6mm wire soldered to the inner of one step - for handling, and then it was given a coat of halfords primer, a coat of polishd aluminium metalcote (which I hate airbrushing) and then a base coat of yellow (now drying) - after which a lighter yellow will be selectively applied (for fading) and then areas can be scratched/eroded back to the metal layer for wear.

48928722932_3cd1e4f130_b.jpgIMG_20191020_111741463 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

They should bring a nice splash of colour.

Hopefully everything will continue to progress - even if it is often two steps forward and one step backwards - that's still progress.

Jonathan 

• Like 18

That's very kind of you both.... thanks. There have been and continue to be a number of mistakes along the way, but I hope that by the time I'm done, it'll look ok. let's face it, forgetting those major transfers was quite a silly thing to do. Oh well. Quite a challenge as my first proper 'plane kit for about 30 years, but it was always going to be the kit that re enthused me... and it's engineering is quite different to what I'd been used to.

Here's hoping the rest big it comes together ok.

Cheers

Edited by Jon020
Added a bit
  • Like 2

Thanks for all of your kind comments. I found I'd missed a few transfers... the Royal Navy and fuselage serial numbers, and a nose stencil....so I applied some gloss varnish locally, applied the transfers and set about resealing. I wanted a satin finish pre weathering, but I found the satin varnish (humbrol) was too flat/Matt, so I mixed 60/40 mix of gloss/satin and used that... giving a slight sheen to a flat finish.... which I think will do.

IMG_20191026_104422674

I need to engineer a means to attach the drooped flaperons in a lowered (hydraulics unpressurized) position, but maybe a length of .0.6mm wire in the flap leading edge into a hole in the wing rest spar face will do to get a reasonable bond.

• Like 4

The flaperon attachment seems to have worked - 0.6mm wire piece in the leading edge and into the wing trailing edge

48969772748_6877508e36_b.jpgFlaperon attachment rod by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

and a test fit.

48969765108_e41a4469a9_b.jpgFlaps, test fit by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Glue now used to stick rod to flaperon - and drying. Will paint it - probably black and then attach. ... and per the photo title - yes, they're not the flaps. Sorry.

Sorted.

Jonathan

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 3

Thanks for all of your kind comments. I found I'd missed a few transfers... the Royal Navy and fuselage serial numbers, and a nose stencil....so I applied some gloss varnish locally, applied the transfers and set about resealing. I wanted a satin finish pre weathering, but I found the satin varnish (humbrol) was too flat/Matt, so I mixed 60/40 mix of gloss/satin and used that... giving a slight sheen to a flat finish.... which I think will do.

IMG_20191026_104422674

I need to engineer a means to attach the drooped flaperons in a lowered (hydraulics unpressurized) position, but maybe a length of .0.6mm wire in the flap leading edge into a hole in the wing rest spar face will do to get a reasonable bond.

• Like 1

A nervous hour or so last night saw me unmask the windscreen and middle frame. Yes, rightly so. Some tidying was needed to address where paint pulled away... due to the thickness of what was masked. Scoring the edges did help, where I could see it well enough, but some retouching was required. Lesson... is to not apply so much paint to this area. The humbrol needed a few coats and I don't avoid this area, but next time I'll be more sparing around here. One part of the inner frame on the windscreen had the paint begin to lift but it sat back down. I will apply a coat of kleer at some point and that should hold it all together. Some further tidying should be good enough. 

I did try fitting the ladders... front one doesn't fit due to the splitter plates position. Hmmm. Ok, abandon that idea. Rear one is reasonable so will stick with that one.

I'll test fit the seats at some point but not today.

Canopy unmasked and a little tidying required, but not too bad

• Like 7

Lovely modelling, I used to watch these from the end of Yeoviltons runway.

FAA Phantom and class 26 in the same thread, phantastic!

Could you tell me please, which model railway magazine was the class 26 article published in, I have one in the

qué for re-gauging to P4, plus sound etc.

Many thanks

Mark

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kingswear1 said:

Hi

Just answered my own question, concerning the class 26 upgrade, Scale four Forum! 

Bookmarked for future reference.

Apologies for thread drift!

Mark

No need to apologise... yes that was finished earlier in the year... 5 years in the making. Blimey. The phantom has been quick by comparison, but I'm not there yet. I was the scalefour new member support officer, but couldn't advise on all aspects and work demands (that continue) meant I had little time so I had to step down. I wanted some me time to spend on me, not always helping others that often I couldn't help... frustratingly. But the 26 isn't bad... It just needs some work. Sorting the middle windscreen helps.

Cheers and thanks for the kind comments

Jonathan