Tornado gr1 OP Granby wing paint

davebruce

Evening all, I'm building the Revell 1/72 gr1 in Op Granby colours and am hoping one of you guru's out the could help a fellow modeller out. 

Im nearing the painting stage and cant seem to find any decent pictures of the wings, what I need to know is, where the wings dissapear into the body there is a grey patch that seems to be either painted or maybe an oil stain,(looks like an R). Is that on all raf op granby Tonkas or not. If so any ideas on what colour in acrylic. 

Also the intakes, what colour would those be?

Thanks in advance

Dave

14 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I believe the intakes on tornado are light aircraft grey (not that I’ve used it on myna current builds) also I don’t think anyone knows the colour of the wing area as it is not a paint but a special non-stick coating 

Thanks for the reply Stu

Not a Granby tornado but a modern one, just looks like staining, however might be possible on the OP Granby this area was not finished with the desert colour?

84384.JPG

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Julien said:

This the best I could find on the net;

gulf-za466-tornado-wreck-tabuk.jpg

36844cca5448a337ab3cebc8f1497ddc--final-

Cheers Julien, I've also seen that one, doesn't seem to have it at all. I'm thinking I might just leave that bit desert pink. Thanks anyway.

Its a Teflon type (non stick) paint and it a dark grey colour (not far off the camo grey the Gr1's were in) its also found around the tail planes for the moving shroud and on the underside in the pylon swept areas

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/tornado_gr.1b/images/tornado_gr.1b_05_of_12.jpg credit to Mark Hayward photo.

Here's the Pylon swept area as seen on the F3 Gr1's were the same.

royal-air-force-panavia-tornado-f3-jet-f

Edited by tweeky
  • Thanks 1

I will have a look at several of my books on the subject when I get home, if the answer has not already appeared. But as far as I know they were painted grey in this area.

Edited by Jabba
  • Thanks 1

I have had a look through the books that I have, and it will depend upon the aircraft that you want to build. What I mean by this is that some aircraft had the area painted Grey, and some were Desert Pink. I am not sure why this is, perhaps some aircraft had their wings spread when they were painted or that the painters were in such a rush at the initial start to get aircraft ready that this area was not masked off. This might mean that the ones that have the Grey still there may not have been on that rush and so the painters had more time to do a more thorough job. So it looks like the old adage of trying to find a picture of the aircraft that you are going to make, or do whatever you wish. 

I will be honest and did not know that some of the Tornados were painted in Desert Pink in that area, so well done in spotting or asking about it. I have always painted this are Grey on the several  Tornados that I have made from this time period.

A good area to look at Tornado pictures from this time period is here:- https://dstorm.eu/pages/en/gb/tornado.html

I hope that this is of some help.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, chris57 said:

Give Jabba or Wez a nudge, I think they were both out there with the factor 50.

Yes but we did not work on plank trash with their fancy runways and posh hotels.

• Like 1

I am not sure why this is, perhaps some aircraft had their wings spread when they were painted or that the painters were in such a rush at the initial start to get aircraft ready that this area was not masked off.

it was a temporary type paint and the people painting the jets were the ground crews. As for the wings been spread all Gr1's had there wings spread on the ground, putting the wings back with tanks and fin fuel puts the CofG very close to the back of the main undercarriage and the jets could sit on the bottom.