1/32 scale AEC 3 ton Y type lorry

Hi everyone. Now that I am able to make that flickr thing work (famous last words) I would like to present another completed build to you. Namely, an AEC lorry as wot is described in the title, like. 🙂 

It is a conversion from the Airfix LGOC bus. I saw a photo of a real one (the truck not the bus) and thought hmm that should be possible and probably quite fun to attempt. So off I went. The first photo shows the real thing (obviously) :

1EB80283-6467-4472-8D7B-67E14D76F302

which is, we have to agree, a beautiful restoration. 

• Like 1

Now, even though I had the photo of the truck right in front of my nose, I did manage to miss a key feature. Namely that the sides of the engine covers slope outwards toward the bottom. But as I was so far down the road regards the build I didn't bother to correct it. Of course, there are other things like lights that are home made design rather than true copies of the existing. Probably due to laziness? Mm, yes, probably. No seriously, I try to use a bit of imagination and build something that I think looks right. If not correct ! 🙂 

and yes before anyone says anything, bolts and rivets are missing.

And yes, it isn't weathered as yet - I am loath to do so as I quite like it's 'parade ground' look as it is right now.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. 

Thanks

Andrew

• Like 2

• McNab changed the title to 1/32 scale AEC 3 ton Y type lorry

Incidentally, this model was built back in early 2018 only about 6 months after I took up modelling again. Since then, I have learned much about modelling, and also how many amazing detail scale items are now on the market! Had I known about injection molded rivets and bolts back then…. mind you, it's never too late to add to it, is it? :D I do like to try and fabricate my own bits and pieces most of the time, but I draw the line at rivets. Das Abteilung was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction for such things. 

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Rivets are easy - when you know how. I learnt this from another member.

I eventually found gluing the riveted panels on wasn't the best way, so I ended up doing this.

I think your model looks great as it is.

Hi Gorby, I have been watching your scratch build thread with interest, but, as a newbie, I have spent most of the time lurking in the background. Nothing like a bit of a lurk of an evening. I tried your method but was not happy with the result, so I ended up buying some after being pointed in the right direction by the ever helpful 'Das Abteilung' and started by drilling out holes for the rivet stems then thought no bulwarks to this, so I just cut the heads off and glued them in place with thin glue (solvent really?) fine tweezers, and compulsory tongue between teeth to aid concentration. see result here: 

ok, looking at it scale wise they may be too big but I also have to be able to see what I'm doing! 

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by McNab
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I didn't realise the Seabrook truck was yours - that's also excellent.

Thank you Gorby, I really enjoyed building it. Was finished about end of last year. Well, finished except for ammo belts, figures, etc etc :D Figures are a new area for me and I am hesitant to get involved…, but I do think it needs a figure or two.

• Like 1

That's a lovely model, and I agree too that it looks good in its parade ground finish - very nice indeed! And there's nothing new under the sun - the wheels on the wife's Focus are a very similar design to the rear wheels on the truck. And they're a swine to clean properly!

I've got a 'thing' for making rivets somewhere (my model room is in the process of a 'makeover' at the moment so don't know where) - it's just a steel plate with domed holes in it into which you press heated kit sprue (or runner for the pedantic) and it works quite well. I should imagine it would be easy enough to make your own should you desire.

Anyway, cracking truck! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Thanks 1

I know it's not normal, but I thought a couple of snaps to show the build may be useful or interesting? Here goes, if Flickr lets me :

A2028B79-F5C4-4CFC-8DB0-FFE0982571EA

FD1EEBE3-7800-4745-879D-37806D8FD2CD

80AAF1B7-B8BE-4FC8-8DC0-7CD4026F7081

F539FCA1-948B-4530-ABF9-D9BE26F22B0B

Hope you enjoy them. Cheers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice pics - those 'naked' mudguards look fantastic! Very neat metalwork!

Keith

Thank you, Keith :) I use the Albion Alloys brass sheet; very malleable and they are formed by sort of bending the sheet between fingers and thumbs very slowly with a stroking motion (steady!) until the desired curve is reached. Really very simple. I used the plastic kit guards as a template for the curved ends. 

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1