Fairey Albacore, 817 Sqn, HMS Formidable, Trumpeter 1/48

Hi Folks,

continuing with my theme of Midhurst (RNAS Cowdray Park) aircraft, I have just finished this Albacore BF612 which was at Midhurst for a time in 1943. It is the Trumpeter 1/48 kit with some Montex Masks and Eduard etch. It is actually one of the schemes included in the kit so the decals for the serial came in handy. The build was easy enough but Trumpeter have really neglected to do this one justice and so there are a fair few additions I have added in. Massive thanks to @tonyot who went for this aircraft a few months back and has a wip on it: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046930-148th-trumpeter-fairey-albacore/

Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48 Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48

Fairey Albacore. Trumpeter 1/48

So this one then has some of the rear cockpit taken out and Eduards etch added in as well as some plastic card decking, Vickers gun from a Beaufighter and some magazines, table made from plastic card with a wooden decal and some other pieces. The annoying thing is that Trumpeter have put the floor too high so you wouldn't be able to open the door inwards as it is supposed to so you will have to forgive me for having it open outwards. Shes just missing a P-Type compass from the external area behind the door which I may make before it goes into the Midhurst Museum.

The cockpit has some photo etch and the side window has been cut out and a new one made from clear plasticard. The carb intake is from a Beaufighter which has been doctored to make it more like the later style seen on most Albacores. Trumpeter really should have included this with the kit. Once again please forgive me as it is not quite right. Rear step added, framing to the Taurus engine added. Props adjusted to go in the correct direction (anti-clockwise) when viewed from the rear. The cowling lip was horrific so I have sanded that back and sanded the top of the cowl. Arrestor hook frame added. I spent some time riveting the fuselage only to find most of it had disappeared once airbrushing had been completed!

Thoughts, comments all most welcome. Would I go for another? Nope, stick to Special Hobby instead!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

If I study this finished kit and the wip I feeli will be a much better modeller! This is really gorgeous and the finish in particular is really nice. Thank you for sharing this. 

• Like 1

Super model Nick, lovely finish...  Fantastic addition to the museum.

I went to a wedding in Cowdrey Park many years ago.  Can't tell you much about it - lost in the haze but one thing I do remember - One of the Toffs at the wedding was doing doughnuts on the polo pitch in his TVR.  Just to show him how it was done, my mate, in his Ford Cortina MKIV Estate, did the same...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Super model Nick, lovely finish...  Fantastic addition to the museum.

I went to a wedding in Cowdrey Park many years ago.  Can't tell you much about it - lost in the haze but one thing I do remember - One of the Toffs at the wedding was doing doughnuts on the polo pitch in his TVR.  Just to show him how it was done, my mate, in his Ford Cortina MKIV Estate, did the same...

Ha amazing Phil! Thanks very much!

8 hours ago, RMCS said:

Stunning as always my friend 

Thanks Rich!

6 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Absolutely beautiful Nick!!!!!!  Take a well deserved bow my friend!!!! :worthy:

Thankyou very much!