Mr Surfacer 1500

Bryan71

Purchased a bottle of Mr Surfacer 1500.I only own fine brushes 0.3 being the biggest so thinning thought about 60% thinner with Mr Color levelling.Heard people add a drop or two of retarder in.

I've had good luck with Mr. Surfacer 1500 thinned in the 50% range with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner using a 0.35 needle at 20 psi or so. When I thinned too far (say 2/3 thinner), I had some issues with the primer peeling after masking, but I can't definitively put it down to the thinning ratio -- given the alchemy that is airbrushing, it could have been the phase of the moon.

Can't speak to the retarder, though I believe that Mr. Color Leveling Thinner is pre-mixed with a retarding agent.

You don't really need retarder. Make a 60-40 mix (thinner to primer) and brush it, but if you're going to do it on larger areas you will need bigger brushes or it won't get the chance to self level. Trial and error until you find the combo that works for you. The good part is that it can be sanded with no worries after fully curing so you can get rid of most brush strokes.

1500, is that a typo? as far as I'm aware Mr Surfacer comes in 500, 1000 and 1200.

Edit. Apologies, you must mean Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500. I forgot about that one..... despite having some myself.😆

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Haha 1

What a timely posting. Just this past weekend, I was down south with my daughter and hit a few hobby shops. I picked up some Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 (white ) and a bottle of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

It's getting hard to find Aqueous Hobby Color paints around these parts. But I quess that's what happens when you live up in the Buttcrack Of Western Civilization!

Chris

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Apologies for the novice question, I've seen this stuff mentioned a few times. Is it good for filling join lines? Better than Revell putty?

Mr Surfacer is a liquid Primer, the higher the number the thinner it is. Mr Surfacer 500 is good for covering small blemishes on the surface such as sink marks etc but won't fill large gaps. If you are looking for something with more filling capability I would recommend Mr Dissolved Putty which is just as it says, a dissolved putty that will flow into gaps and once set can be sanded back. I usually take a cotton bud dipped in Mr Thinner (but not soaking wet) and clean the excess Mr Dissolved Putty off the surface before it has set completely, that way I don't need to sand and lose surface detail, idea for tight gaps like wing roots. I might then have to go over the area with some Mr Surfacer to finish off blending everything in depending on how bad the joint was to start with (I use the same technique with the cotton bud to smooth the Mr Surfacer out but more gently).

I hope that helps.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

On my Airfix 1/72 Hurricane, I used Mr. Surfacer 1000 as a filler. It worked great. 

49963411343_2c466e2e7d_b.jpg

49963411358_33fddddfbe_b.jpg

I applied it in small drops with a sewing needle that has had the eye cut off. This works great for applying superglue too.

27870158927_5892864c01_c.jpg

27870158947_fd0e5bbe2d_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

It depends on the gap, I will use any of them from the dissolved putty to Mr Surfacer 1200. I find that I normally use Mr Dissolved Putty or Mr S 500 followed by one of the thinner Mr Surfacers to blend in. The Mr S 1200 upwards I will use as primers more often than fillers though. I think everyone should have a range of these in their stash as they will find they will rarely use the tube fillers again after having used these.

Duncan B

• Like 1