Lockheed SP-2H Neptune RAAF

Graeme H

OK, this a build that I have been promising for at least 2 GB's, but life got in the way big time

First effort was what was called a buddy build way back, then the Maritime GB that finished recently

So with as much determination as I can muster, I'm off at last, started on the 2nd day of the GB, but only just getting around to posting

Nothing was done in either of the 2 previous attempts, just stuff collected

First thing you will notice is that this is a late boxing with very nice decals compared to the older boxings

It also as I was to find out, has some flash that needs to be addressed, significantly on the fuselage halves, which I would recommend needs dealing with before anything is attached to the fuselage halves 

The wings needed dressing down as well.

DSCN1524.jpg

As the wings on the Neppie are very busy compared to most, probably the Constellation is close with a four engine arrangement and tip tanks

I decided to start with them, so the 2 jet engines and the tip tanks together

DSCN1525.jpg

The Mainwheel wells are not deep enough and I decided to open them up a bit, so put the nacelles together making sure to open up the top half of the locating cup on one side so the landing gear can be put in later

DSCN1527.jpg

then marked on the outside of the nacelles where to cut the idea being to leave the main gear attachments alone and cutting around them, they are more than strong enough I think.

DSCN1528.jpg

Now when you mark on the outside of the nacelle you need to remember to cut several mm's on the inside of the line, on the first one that principal applied, the second one I seemed to forget, but it was about 10 minutes later and my memory is shot

So.. packed out with some plastic strip to correct the goof up

DSCN1529.jpg

not had time to do anymore since, but did look at the Resin Cockpit which is very nice, but realised the Eduard PE is flat and the resin is not, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to paint the resin and forgo the PE, maybe try the Hasegawa decals

Today I will go and visit my resident SP-2H and have a better look at what's behind the mesh that is significant in the Mainwheel wells, my photos of some of it are up on the Walkaround site

Also need to figure out what I'm going to use for that mesh

• Like 5

A classic kit from the last century when Hasegawa were top of the quality ladder. This was a great era for them and the kits are still good today. 

I suspect the mesh in your local example might be a recent addition to keep out birds. Under it you will find wing structure and fuel tanks. Lots of detail on the net using cutaway drawings to see what's there. 

Colin 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colin W said:

A classic kit from the last century when Hasegawa were top of the quality ladder. This was a great era for them and the kits are still good today. 

I suspect the mesh in your local example might be a recent addition to keep out birds. Under it you will find wing structure and fuel tanks. Lots of detail on the net using cutaway drawings to see what's there. 

Colin 

You could well be right there Colin, didn't think of that one.

Thanks Tommy, some good reference in those photos

knew about the Maingear and nose gear bays, and am making plans to do something about it, I doubt I could ever get enough time to build to the correct fit though just too much of a major scratchbuilding job for me

My plan is to make it basically a bit closer to the proper config. if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm back into this one, been away going to Model shows all over the country, have done 3 in a month, in Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne, that's some serious mileage right there.

So plodding along with the main gear wells has driven me mad, I have no reference from my photos, as I was trying to get the detail and now realise that I can't quite figure out the orientation as I didn't include outside parts to help me out

One thing that has given me a little bit of a headache is getting good shots of my local one which has some bird netting in it to keep them out, so on a visit to the Brisbane show, took the opportunity to go to the Queensland Air Museum, which has the one that last used to be north of me several hundred kms, and now is south of me over 1200 kms and is more like an in service machine, in that it went into the hands of a private collector almost immediately on retirement of the aircraft, and he has since passed away, and the aircraft has now been removed and reassembled at Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast area of Australia,, a move of a bit over 1600 kms

These are looking aft 

20190518-131755.jpg

20190518-131831.jpg

so you can see why I'm struggling, so lets start going  forward and see how simple that is, this is the Starboard side

20190518-131805.jpg

and the port

20190518-131816.jpg

the insides are not handed so this is basically true for both sides

and this is the front

DSCN1857.jpg

and this is me with the one in Caloundra 

20190518-133456.jpg

So after  I had modified the wing to open up the wheel bay, I realised after multiple visits that I had basically got it very wrong

the insides need to be brought all the way forward to the trunnions that are on the nacelle, not as I first thought back at the main swivel for the whole leg

So I now have to spend a bit of quality time cutting up plastic card to fix my mistakes

I must stress that you don't follow my lead in cutting back the lower wing as far I did.

Especially anything aft of the main swivel tunnions, that is totally wrong

My excuse is that as the lower nacelle that is a separate part and I don't want to put it on just yet as I think it will be easier to detail before I fix it onto the wing, but it has the forward cups for the undercarriage

the moulded on part on the wing at the forward end of the wing needs to come off as I have done here, to open up the place where the wheel actually goes

DSCN2581.jpg

DSCN2582.jpg

and speaking of undercarriage, that is the next mountain range I have to cross

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps that old saying "Measure Twice Cut Once" or however it goes needs to be changed to "Photograph Lots Cut only after working out what it actually looks like!".  

Take comfort that those who follow can learn from your build!