Airfix 1/48 Hurricane versions

StephenMG

Hi all,

I have a hankering to build the latest mould Airfix 1/48 Hurricane but note it's currently being sold in 'tropical' or 'sea' guise. I'm not bothered about the decals but wondered if all the bits are in the box to build it as a 'standard' Hurricane, i.e. without arrestor hook or Vokes filter, with options for Rotol/DH props etc? Looking at some sprue shots I suspect they probably are but if anyone could confirm that before I hand over my Groats I'd be grateful. 👍

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am building the Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib (A05134) myself atm and can confirm that there are parts provided to build this without arrestor hook (two sets lower hull tail sections), there are parts provided to allow you to build it with or without the tropical filter and 2 sets of rotors and spinners. However  unlike the Italeri/Tamiya offering there is only one set of exhaust stacks.
These are the same parts though as in the A05127. If other bits and blobs required are provided I do not know and if correct or not I can not tell.

I am really happy about this kit an I'll certainly by this one again - simply because from what I can see it gives you all three options for an Mk.I.

My concern would be the decal sheet but I am pretty sure you will be able to find an AM set to your preference.

Zack

Edited by Zack
mispelt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Yes, my understanding is that all three (?) boxings so far are the same plastic.

Four if you count the Ready for Battle set,  the other are standard Mk.I, Tropical Mk.I and Sea Hurricane IB, but they are all the same base kit, with the same bits.

3 hours ago, StephenMG said:

with options for Rotol/DH props etc?

It hsa options for two props, the DH Hurricane and the Spitfire Rotol,  which cover the kit options. One 'gotcha' to be aware of, you can fit either set of blades to either spinner....I have seen two build on here with DH blades on a Rotol spinner...

some late Mk.I''s came with the Hurricane Rotol unit.  

I know Hunters are you thing Mark,  here's a guide to what the above means...   

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

Taken blinkin' 24 hours for for my ISP to recognise the new DNS....    

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. This means there's another 20 quid I won't be seeing again!

Thank you @Troy Smith for the great prop info. As you correctly guessed I'm more familiar with things that go "whoosh" than things that go "brrrrrrr"!!! 🤣

I'm keen to build a Hurri as I've had a plan for a while to build aircraft related to RAF Pembrey where my Dad was based as a Hunter airframe fitter. Having done a Hunter F.1, Tempest TT.5 and Vampire T.11 (and with a Mosquito TT.35 half finished somewhere) I fancied a Hurricane as 316 Sqn were formed there in 1941. Although they've been 1/72 so far, that Airfix Hurricane looked so lovely I think I'll switch to 1/48, especially with Airfix' Hunter F.4 on the way later this year.

Thanks again,

Mark