Classic Fighters 2019. Omaka

Sorry to follow on so closely from a similar post, but have just finished processing my photos as well.  I and a friend attended this New Zealand airshow for the first time over Easter, primarily to see Peter Jackson's aircraft fly. 

We were a little disappointed they didn't due to some internal dispute, that disappointment being compounded upon learning they flew a couple of days ago at Masterton.  Anyway, that aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the show, seeing the Anson, Spitfire 14 and Fw190 fly plus other types we just don't see here in Australia.

Photography conditions were excellent, and we got in three good days of shooting before the rain set in.  Im certainly keen to go back, anyway, onto some of my photos.

190 and spit 32760099847_e306aef5dd_b.jpg Fw190 pass Friday anson pass

and a link to my album for more, if interested, just click on the below photo.

Thanks for looking

Bruce

• Like 16

Very nice pics. I think one of the Nieuports (the one in French markings) was the one I saw in the hangar when I visited back in February recently. Nver got to see the FW190 though. 

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

That's a lovely Anson :)

It looked absolutely stunning Ridgerunner, too late I found out they were taking passengers on joy flights

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Very nice pics. I think one of the Nieuports (the one in French markings) was the one I saw in the hangar when I visited back in February recently. Nver got to see the FW190 though. 

G'Day Paul.  Your photos were one of the inspirations for me to get over there.  I believe the 190 was still undergoing repairs following an earlier belly landing in February, don't quote me on this though

Bruce

A flight in the Anson would look good in anyones flying log.!  Looks like a return trip to NZ next year is in the pipeline so I hope o get to a couple more collections I missed this time around ...and ... hope to fit in an airshow..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul J said:

A flight in the Anson would look good in anyones flying log.!  Looks like a return trip to NZ next year is in the pipeline so I hope o get to a couple more collections I missed this time around ...and ... hope to fit in an airshow..

Wings over Wanaka will be next Easter if you can go around that time Paul. It pays to book accommodation several months ahead as the town quickly books out 

bruce 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:37 PM, stevehnz said:

A great line up there Bruce, I couldn't make it this year, till I saw your photos I wasn't too bothered but after seeing them, damn, I wish I could've now. :(

Steve.

A few of the regulars goers were a bit "meh" but I loved it

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Beautiful aeroplanes, beautifully photographed in beautiful weather!

well, it was until it got rained out on the Sunday☹️

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, Paul J said:

Brilliant selection. I really love the Aussie Beech Staggerwing! Any more pics of it??

That's really the only one I was happy with, Paul. All  the others being a  a bit soft, or too dark including the one of it in formation with a Ryan STM grrrrr!

32 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

A few of the regulars goers were a bit "meh" but I loved it

I'm sure had I gone I'd have enjoyed it but a workmate who went had the 'meh" reaction, for me, the time off & ticket cost were against it & when I saw the line up I decided I could go without, I guess I've been well spoiled over the years. I've been to about 7 of them & loved all but the last I went to in 2015 which I thought was  distinctly 'meh' then. For someone like yourself who hasn't been before or even for a while, its a great setting & not a bad line up mostly, the making for a great day out.

Steve.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm sure had I gone I'd have enjoyed it but a workmate who went had the 'meh" reaction, for me, the time off & ticket cost were against it & when I saw the line up I decided I could go without, I guess I've been well spoiled over the years. I've been to about 7 of them & loved all but the last I went to in 2015 which I thought was  distinctly 'meh' then. For someone like yourself who hasn't been before or even for a while, its a great setting & not a bad line up mostly, the making for a great day out.

Steve.

Absolutely Steve, and I can understand the "meh" too.  Especially for the regular attenders

Avalon and Temora getting the same reaction from me these days, although saying that, anytime seeing, and hearing  real aeroplanes fly is a good one. 

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

I've been going regularly since 2011. I guess this one did seem a bit 'light on' without the participation of The Magnificent Seven or Keith Skilling's awesome display in the Corsair. The Sunday washout didn't help either. (Although I would have missed it anyway due to some nasty head cold that struck full force on Saturday night.)

Even without these highlights, there were some nice new attendees with the early Triple Entente display (BE.2c, Bristol Scout, Sopwith Pup, Nieuport 11 & Nieuport 16), the Fairchild 24C-8C and the Bleriot actually flying circuits on the Friday being highlights. It was also nice to see the Fw-190 back in the air after it's unfortunate 2015 ground looping display.

That said, the 2011 show just blew me away. It was bloody marvellous and will always remain at the top spot in my memory. So I wonder if the old saying 'familiarity breeds contempt' is at work here albeit in a watered down fashion. (I would never regard any airshow with contempt!) Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go again in 2021 to see. B)

20 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

2011 show just blew me away. It was bloody marvellous

I do recall that one as being a cracker.

20 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

So I wonder if the old saying 'familiarity breeds contempt' is at work here

Perhaps a bit, but I did feel 2015 had lowered the bar a bit compared to earlier shows & thats the message I got for 2017 & this last one, having said that, as long as the skittles line up, I'm sure I'll return. See you there 2021 perhaps. :) 

23 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Avalon and Temora getting the same reaction from me these days

Funnily enough, these are both shows I'd like to have a gander at, maybe there is something in this familiarity thing.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2