"Old"1/72 Revell Avro Shackleton MR Mk. 3 Phase 3

This project has taken over 4 years to come to fruition and completion.  I'd always wanted to build a FROG Shackleton and with that in mind bought a couple of Eastern Express examples at the Newark Model Show way back in 2004, along with a very expensive Aeroclub AEW Mk.2  conversion kit and the Aeroclub decal sheets that also cost a bomb.

Several years went by and after visiting the Newark Air Museum I decided to start building an MR. Mk. 3.  I didn't know anything about the Phase 3 modifications until I started studying the many photos I had taken and noticed the Viper jet engines in the outer engine nacelles.  To see how things progressed from there have a look at the build WIP thread on this site. The model ended up on the shelf of doom in October 2015, until earlier this month when I decided it was time to finish this one off at last. The model fought me all the way, especially those expensive Aeroclub decals that fell apart in water. The Aerclub AEW bits have been consigned to the spares box and even more pain was heaped on the project when I read on this forum that Revell are actually going to release an MR.3 version later this year, and a Phase 3 version to boot! Well I had started so I decided to finish it.

Worst bit: those damned decals.

Best bit: I love the way those side domed windows turned out, its amazing what you can do with a warmed bit of acetate and a paintbrush handle!

resized_27289ff1-5383-44ba-81a8-626b26a8

resized_5a947996-0369-45da-b6bb-54bf135f

resized_10e19746-c4dc-4d27-9af0-93b3a9ea

resized_f7e042dc-b449-4c72-a839-3c327b94

resized_343c7014-71ae-4968-9adb-6d6b4b83

resized_51b7dcd8-49e3-4e3a-aa1c-28070c35

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Edited by Radar
spelling mistake
  • Like 39

Excellent job on the Shack - I do like the look of those Viper engines! Not to rub it in, but this model makes me even more eager for the new Revell MR.3.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Just now, Radar said:

Thanks Ray, it was along haul but worth it. The Revell AEW version next! Did you see that the RAF are buying Wedgetails, at last. Might have to build another one!

It will be nice to see your next one built a little faster than 4 years.

I can't talk, I started a Wedgetail build that I finished as a BBJ a couple of years ago. And then there are those other 'long term' projects I have on the go. I did manage to finish an RAF Sentry last year so the AEW theme has been started.

Great to see the RAF following the RAAF with their recent procurements, P-8, E-7.... what's next, the MC-55A to replace the Sentinels? :D

I was always taken by the tricycle Shack particularly the Frog version which I'd seen in a catalogue. Which I still have actually. 

Never could understand why it was retired before the taildragger version. 

I would definitely be interested in the new Revell version. 

15 minutes ago, noelh said:

Never could understand why it was retired before the taildragger version. 

I believe the Mk3 was heavier so everything got stressed and worn out quicker.  Also the Vipers put yet more stress on the airframes so they were knackered.

Possibly the ex-Gannet radar dome couldn't be fitted to the tricycle type, though presumably if the mk3 had been the type in better condition a way could have been found?  The cobbled-up AEW version was only supposed to be a stop-gap for a couple of years till a jet replacement was ready...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, malpaso said:

I believe the Mk3 was heavier so everything got stressed and worn out quicker.  Also the Vipers put yet more stress on the airframes so they were knackered.

Possibly the ex-Gannet radar dome couldn't be fitted to the tricycle type, though presumably if the mk3 had been the type in better condition a way could have been found?  The cobbled-up AEW version was only supposed to be a stop-gap for a couple of years till a jet replacement was ready...

Thanks for that. I always wondered. 

As a young enthusiast even in the seventies the Shackleton seemed archaic. One of my first airshows was RAF Valley  circa '78/79. The programme listed a Shack as a 'WW2 bomber'. The taildragger version. You could visit it. I wasn't fooled. 

Besides I preferred the jets. 

I was an idiot. 

• Haha 1

Very nice!! I have the Revell/Frog MR3 in my stash, along with the Aeroclub AEW conversion and decals.  I had always planned to convert it, then both Airfix and Revell brought out an AEW....Typical!!

I have the Revell AEW in my stash, so I will probably do the MR3 as is, or possibly Whif it.....

Very nice indeed, I must get around to building mine, only had it for about 15 years!

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

I must get around to building mine, only had it for about 15 years

Plenty of time yet, I reckon I've had my two for around 40 years. :D

Steve.

13 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Nicely done Ian, you will have to build the new Revell one too!

Hi Dave

Hope you and yours are well.  Are you still Controlling up North? I've got the Revell AEW version on the bench half built. Just trying to regain enough steam to finish it off. Ironic isn't it you gave me that AN/APS 20 radome all those years ago at Cranners and more or less started the ball rolling on all my AEW shenanigans (by the way the AEW History book I wrote and was published by Harpia, "Beyond The Horizon"  is being sold for £5 by the Aviation Book Store at the moment. I suppose it could have been worse I might have seen it in The Works!).

I couldn't bring myself to build another MR3 this one has done me in for them. But if their AEW Mk.2 is anything to go by it will be a lovely kit when it comes out.

Thought it might be a good idea to put a shot up of the actual aircraft my model is based on, for comparison purposes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see above I finally bit the bullet and put those Viper air scoops on, oh and I managed to find a squadron badge at last for the nose.

Cheers for now

Ian

Edited by Radar
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I was at the 1979 Valley display - a baking hot day with clear skies - amazing for North Wales.

I remember that. Came over on the boat from Dublin and cycled to Valley. Got sunburned. 

Beautiful work there!

It would need quite a bit of nose weight to keep the front wheels on the ground - hence your prop of clear rod!

A result like this, from such an old kit, reveals how dedicated and skilled you are.

:goodjob:

19 hours ago, noelh said:

I remember that. Came over on the boat from Dublin and cycled to Valley. Got sunburned. 

I did that for the 1983 Valley show - got sunburned that day too.