When did Warspite off load her aircraft?

Coors54

As a bit of a naval numpty I am hoping that the more knowledgeable can help.

I am slowly amassing information and parts to build the 1/350 Academy Warspite as she appeared at the time of the Italian fleet surrender in 1943 (or maybe the bombardment of Catania Sicily as this has personal connections) and my question is as the title says, when did she lose her Walrus's (Walri?)

I see a lot of built models with the aircraft on the catapult but surrounded perilously close by 20mm Oerlikon mounts, was this correct? It seems there is very little clearance and is an accident waiting to happen.

I have the Kagero book of plans but this is a bit inconclusive, I am sure I have read that the aircraft were disembarked in early 1943 before deployment to the Med but for the life of me I can't find where.

Dave

Thanks to you both, that settles my mind. I never thought of looking in Squadrons and Units of the FAA!

I can understand the AA mounts around the catapult area now.

I wonder if the raised track remained?

Now to decide on which upgrade set to get or purchase barrels, deck, etch etc separately as the build progresses and spread the cost.

I'm not familiar with the fit on the Warspite, but any Oerlikon firing at the Walrus would be hitting either the funnel or the superstructures too.  It seems likely that some kind of guard existed restricting the movement of the gun to prevent such happenings.  If not, fire control would exist so that guns only fired into particular sectors.  In any case, an attacking aircraft wouldn't have been travelling between the funnel and the forward superstructure anyway.

Hi Graham, it wasn't the chance of the guns firing and hitting the Walrus, more a case of the Walrus hitting the guns/emplacements on launch. The ones positioned around the catapult track seem awfully close, clearance between them and the wings being marginal.

Edited by Coors54
  • Like 1

Gidday, further to Graham Boak's comments I have seen photos of guides of round tube alongside gun pits restricting the training arcs of 20mm and single 40mm guns, preventing them from hitting neighboring guns or superstructures.  This is not limited to HMS Warspite though, and has nothing to do with Dave's original question. I hope it helps in some way though. Regards, Jeff.

On 30/04/2019 at 19:08, Coors54 said:

The ones positioned around the catapult track seem awfully close, clearance between them and the wings being marginal.

See here at the 15:53 mark !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmNyts7f1w

😀

• Like 1

Blimey, what a palaver! Today's 'elf & safety would have a field day, it's a cracking piece of film definitely of its time, thanks for sharing the link.