This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi folks,

We're back in the land of the living, and I've sorted out the issue we were having at least for the time being, as I would have preferred a better solution, so I'll continue to look into it.  The migration from one black box to another black box with less turbo lag and more storage space went quickly and was over just after I went to bed, so you early-risers or people on a different time zone have been waiting for yours truly to get up, which actually happened quite early today, although I think my brain had at least an extra hour in bed :hypnotised:

I've (we've - vicariously of course) received great support from our Hosts, and Invision have been helpful too, so a big thank you to them.  A big thank you also to the team, and last but by no means least to anyone and everyone that has or still does make Britmodeller a great place to be both as a member and as an Admin.  A slightly larger, gold-plated thanks to all of you that have contributed to the upkeep of the site too, and if you haven't or are feeling in a generous mood, please consider donating.  The site just got a little bit more expensive to run, although the improvements in speed and storage are well-worth those extra pennies. :yes:

Everything should be pretty much as you left it, although a few commands might be a bit slow initially, as the caches had to be cleared after we got here.  I've done that about a squillion times while I was hitting all the bumps with a hammer, and our new gerbils have been given their crash-hats and racing overalls.  Let the modelling gibberish continue! :yahoo:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)

Cheers Mike and everyone else involved in the move,gotta admit though it's been a long morning....

Edited by Vince1159

:lol: It has for me too, but a busy one... did I mention it's been a long morning? :tired:

:thumbsup: I've still got something weird going on in the Admin Control Panel, but we're working on getting that one sorted soon :)

Yes! The retroencabulator did its thing!

The web server process just crashed after we made a few security changes, so I had to restart it, which seems to have done the trick.  Is anyone finding it a bit slow at the moment? :hmmm:

That were quick.

I watched some old 'Dragnet' progs on youtube

oh and did some plastic model making

it seems regular fast to me

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

it seems regular fast to me

Seems to come and go, but looking at the load on the processor it's not being caused by too many page requests, as it's barely using one of the 40 cores :blink:

As long as it's not the MAX-8 version, we should be OK .

It's slow for me at the moment. I'm based in the UK and using a fast 8-core laptop/Win10/Chrome on 50MB fibre. Takes 15 to 20 seconds to open a page. 

Well done for getting it all done quickly and successfully!

We're still tweaking settings, but we're getting there :)

FWIW, yes everything seems slow - but working.

I’m sitting in a hospital waiting room (have been for over 2 hours) using NHS free WiFi.  Probably not a reliable ‘test’.

Thanks to Mike and all his helpers for a fairly seamless server transfer.  Well done!

Jonny

Is it me or is there a strong-ish but very nice smell of fresh paint in here?

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Is it me or is there a strong-ish but very nice smell of fresh paint in here?

Did someone just come past and ask if their cloth smelt of chloroform to you? :wacko:  Hope everything's ok, your visit goes well and doesn't drag on any more than necessary :)

Thanks Mike and all involved.

All normal here (regarding BM, that is)

Cheers

At about 12:00 noon local in Chicago the server dropped out again for approximately 1 hour. Just cam back up at 13:00 ? It had been on for about 90-120 minutes prior to that and working fine. Only thing i received was the red notation strip at the top of my screen telling me to sign out ? Same warning as i had received 18 hours earlier when the server shift started. Currently I'm getting this 

FbHUNZ9.png

Sorry i didn't photograph the other screen. 

Dennis

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry i didn't photograph the other screen. 

Go to your room! :fight:

Yeah, that red one was me telling you to bugger of Dennis, and the green one is me telling you it's safe to come back in.  have a click/tap and a read, then dismiss it with the X in the corner - you know it makes sense :)

I've just been running round in the control panel for the server, and this new box is barely stressing one of its cores with a shade over 500 people viewing the site, which makes me very happy. ^_^ As the forum grows and the internet uses up more bandwidth, we should have plenty of grunt to cope.  I've also been testing those background issues I was seeing, and so far those have gone too, so that last tweak seems to have had some positive effect :yes:

Working blazingly fast here in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Must be due to the new isolinear molecular flow power couplings and oscillating dinglearm.

Seems I picked a good time for a two-day trip south. I just got home a little over an hour ago. Everything seems to be working fine for me, up here on The Backside Of Beyond.

Chris

Yay,

We’re back, that’s for sure.  The whole site seems faster than before - though that might be down to my fevered imagination!  And way below the 24 hour max. that we were warned might be needed.

Well done (again) to Mike and his helpers!

Jonny

Good job, Mike, and thanks to you and the crew! FYI, I'm still getting the "BM is unavailable" message page using Virgin Media and EE 4G default settings. To get into the forum I've had to change my DNS server settings to point to OpenDNS instead... VM seems particularly bad in this respect!

best,

M.

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Good job, Mike, and thanks to you and the crew! FYI, I'm still getting the "BM is unavailable" message page using Virgin Media and EE 4G default settings. To get into the forum I've had to change my DNS server settings to point to OpenDNS instead... VM seems particularly bad in this respect!

best,

M.

That's a bit poo, innit?  If you're getting the official "we're moving" message with the big BM header, you were still looking at the old site, but if you were getting an "unreachable" error then that was something else.  I have a feeling that the big ISPs do a lot of caching, and may have a bit of a relaxed attitude toward their DNS servers.  That's why it's always a good idea to have one looking somewhere else as a backup plan. :yes:  It's amazing that in <current year> it can take over 24 hours for the DNS to update.  Pretty poor effort on behalf of those ISPs really :fraidnot:

PSA: I think the Britmodeller email server has stalled since the move, so I'm just getting onto support about it now.  Don't expect any replies from it, and it might also mean you're not getting notifications too.  That's just a guess so far, but I haven't received any notifications this morning as yet.

bearwithus.jpg