Spitfire XIV low back... images to help for the new Airfix kit

Troy Smith

7 hours ago, Linescriber said:

What was it a Mk IIB with no cannon?/ can i modify the Hurricane below with a Volkes filter and pass it off as a IIB/C??

OK,  just for clarity

the IIa has a 8 gun wing (as on the museum plane above)

the IIB has a 12 gun wing

the IIc has a 4 cannon wing

They are fundamentally different in their gun bays.

the lower left images show the IIb wing, the right, the IIc.   Note the B wing is like an A wing, with an extra gun by further out, the one in the wing roundel shown open below.

110843936.jpeg

the plane above looks to be a Mk.I,  (note section between cockpit and engine has 4 fasteners, the Mk.II has 5 )

but as you have access to the airframe

Hurricane_dimensions.jpg&key=ceff2da9bc9

see here for a description of the visual differences between a Mk.I an a Mk.II

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/&do=findComment&comment=1960686

also check the carb intake and radiator depth, and the different radiator cores, all are illustrated in the link.

with what look like a De Havilland Hurricane prop fitted, which was standard on Tropical Mk.I's

please see

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

You could paint the plane above as a IIB, just.  Not as a IIc, but from what I have read, the RIAF units usually flew the IIb?

Has the airframe been properly examined, as there should be serial numbers elsewhere on the airframe.

the Hurricane preserved in Finland has examples

IMG_6664.JPG&key=16e2083de4e694dfa1fff8b

@Linescriber  , you have my email, if you have any questions, please get in contact.   

HTH

T

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

OK,  just for clarity

the IIa has a 8 gun wing (as on the museum plane above)

the IIB has a 12 gun wing

the IIc has a 4 cannon wing

They are fundamentally different in their gun bays.

the lower left images show the IIb wing, the right, the IIc.   Note the B wing is like an A wing, with an extra gun by further out, the one in the wing roundel shown open below.

110843936.jpeg

the plane above looks to be a Mk.I,  (note section between cockpit and engine has 4 fasteners, the Mk.II has 5 )

but as you have access to the airframe

Hurricane_dimensions.jpg&key=ceff2da9bc9

see here for a description of the visual differences between a Mk.I an a Mk.II

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/&do=findComment&comment=1960686

also check the carb intake and radiator depth, and the different radiator cores, all are illustrated in the link.

with what look like a De Havilland Hurricane prop fitted, which was standard on Tropical Mk.I's

please see

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

You could paint the plane above as a IIB, just.  Not as a IIc, but from what I have read, the RIAF units usually flew the IIb?

Has the airframe been properly examined, as there should be serial numbers elsewhere on the airframe.

the Hurricane preserved in Finland has examples

IMG_6664.JPG&key=16e2083de4e694dfa1fff8b

@Linescriber  , you have my email, if you have any questions, please get in contact.   

HTH

T

WOW!! Thanx

So if i did go for a IIB, can i paint it DG/DE/Sky (early temperate not the grey undersides one) with Blue/India Blue roundels and white 28" wing/tail/fin stripes  a-la early 1944??

Dear Linescriber,

Thank you, thank you again for the wonderful help with the belly identification lamp in post #49!

You've made my day, I've been looking for this confirmation for months!

For the wonderful help with the landing lamps under the belly of the XVIII. Now we, who want to model a FR.XVIII, know for sure that is there, and where exactly.

For me, who is a nitpicker of the Nth grade, that is extremely important. I suppose that others who finds accuracy important are equally pleased!

I'm very, very grateful!

All the best,

Tomas Enerdal

Edited by Tomas Enerdal

2 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Dear Linescriber,

Thank you, thank you again for the wonderful help with the belly identification lamp in post #49!

You've made my day, I've been looking for this confirmation for months!

For the wonderful help with the landing lamps under the belly of the XVIII. Now we, who want to model a FR.XVIII, know for sure that is there, and where exactly.

For me, who is a nitpicker of the Nth grade, that is extremely important. I suppose that others who finds accuracy important are equally pleased!

I'm very, very grateful!

All the best,

Tomas Enerdal

Its over here!!

Glad to help Tomas