The Gannet is back....and more. 1/48 AEW

bentwaters81tfw

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 9:22 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Oh, that other resin Vulcan mentioned above......it came from his original master when he owned the company that produced it.:whistle:

That explains that at last - as the bomb bay in mine is identical to that in the posted photo, so I certainly had a good feeling. It was quoted as being produced by a company called Eirikkson, and I've only ever been able to trace two of them in existence (three with the master). I understand all these upcoming models are to be hollow cast - my b####r is solid cast and I've just finished hollowing out the fuselage, leaving a nice snug in the nose for a bunch of lead fishing weights. 

All I can really say is the surface detail is mind-blowing and once I hollowed mine out, it fits perfectly.

Cheers,

WV908 

Edited by WV908
Words

Alan has devised a new method of casting which is lighter. Not saying how he does it, but he can produce double the number of casts from one mould.

He has designed a new machine to do it with. He did tell me the story of the 'Erikkson' venture, but I won't repeat it here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Alan has devised a new method of casting which is lighter. Not saying how he does it, but he can produce double the number of casts from one mould.

He has designed a new machine to do it with. He did tell me the story of the 'Erikkson' venture, but I won't repeat it here.

The old one is pretty light now it's been hollowed out, so it will be a pleasure to see the Bucc and Victor be even lighter.

Cheers,

WV908 

• Like 1

I presume that you will be at Telford Alan? 

Hello All,

I will be at Telford, F4U. 

WV908, as regards your Vulcan, whilst I won't repeat the story and since Bentwaters has covered the topic extensively, I will leave it at. There are one or two differences with your Vulcan: firstly, the aerodynamic modification introduced by Avro to the front underwing profile is incorrect on yours but not by a large amount; you will probably have to sand it right down and re-scribe the wing; secondly, the undercarriage bays are all wrong, they are 1/72 that have been cut and glued together. I can send you a replacement set that are 1/48 and correct in detail. Also, I think the burner cans or exhausts on yours may be wrong, there again, I can send you a replacement set that are correct. As far as I am aware all B.2s had asymmetric burner cans, in operational service, the RAF would not have flown without them. The canopy is not quite right, it lacks the demarcation line when joined to the fuselage, also there are no windscreen wipers; there again I can send you a replacement canopy that looks more like the one fitted to the Avro Vulcan. I hope this addresses some of your points, WV908. Also don't listen to those individuals who misinform you about resin design and manufacture. Size of moulds and extraction rates are not related; in general it is usual to get 30-40 parts from the same mould; it is related to the type of silicone rubber, its chemical composition, cure time and the end user's knowledge. Once you get above a certain size in resin, one has to use an aluminium/resin matrix to impart mechanical strength and structural integrity. None of my castings warp or twist, that's testament to my understanding and industrial experience. Lastly, Eiriksson made about 16 1/48 Avro Vulcans, I checked the records held by the bank, back in 2008. I am the designer and copywrite holder and others are still trying to take off with the design for their own purposes but there's not much I can do about that. If you need accurate information, Bentwaters, is the one to ask.

Alan

• Thanks 1

Hi Alan, 

Thanks for the offer of replacement parts :)

I'd certainly like to take up the offer of the undercarriage bays and cockpit canopy. The burner cans are correct for 300 series Olympus engines, and I'm building XM594 so all is good there. I've already devised a plan with the wings that I hope will work, mainly involving a lot of grinding the inner surface. The only other thing is I'm short of 8 mainwheels if you'd be able to provide them? 

We've previously been in contact via email so I'll fire one off soon :)

Cheers,

WV908 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, scarlett said:

Hi Alan,

Are the Gannet AEW still available to purchase, happy to put a deposit on one to collect at the nationals if you are going

Many thanks

Paul

email him at [email protected]

When I last spoke to him, he told me he had sold 60, I don't know if he is doing any more but may still have enough parts in stock.

Quick photo of WIP.

I hope to have something more detailed on the "In Progress" forum shortly.

Beautiful resin kit, goes together very well. Excuse the wings, the original kit did not have folding wings, where I am modifying them.

More photos shortly,

Cheers

Ryan Hamilton

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

An update from Alan. He is still getting enquiries after selling 60 examples. The wing moulds require replacement, and he will do this, so further examples will be available. Again, contact Alan direct and he will get things moving for you. Wings will only be one piece extended, not folded options.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:27, bentwaters81tfw said:

Spent a very interesting time talking to Alan Wilson (from Iceland) who produced the 1/48 resin Gannet AEW3 at Milton Keynes today. He has refined and re engineered the masters and improved his clear castings. The Gannet will be available again shortly. Keep an eye on this forum, as Alan intends to join the community as a manufacturer. He also spoke to Julien today and will be contacting Mike over a trading membership.

Now, the fun doesn't stop there. This guy is a design engineer, and has manufactured masters for the following - (he had them there and I inspected them)

1/72 scale VC10

1/48 scale Vulcan

1/32 scale Buccaneer

1/144 scale Saro Princess

Other masters not present cover 1/72 Hastings  and 1/72 Shorts Belfast.

He expects to have the Belfast available in around 6 weeks.

These will be hollow cast resin, and will require some skills. They are not shake and bake. 

These masters were taped together and on display. Fine engraved surface detail. He actually produced these decades ago as part of his draughtsman's degree.

Now I own one of his Gannets, and there are examples of the 1/144 Bristol Brabazon available now. The casting on the Brabazon is like porcelain!

Be prepared to stump up resin prices and do some work, but these beauties exist in the flesh, and will be available direct from Alan in the near future.

Just a point. Alan lives in Iceland and email answers - when he gets going - can take a day or two. He has a regular job as well as this sideline.

anyone know the measurements of the 1/48 VULCAN? Thanks.

17 hours ago, Robertjon5 said:

anyone know the measurements of the 1/48 VULCAN? Thanks.

Without wanting to be smart-alec...... BIG. I saw Rikki Wolf's 1.48th Vulcan at a show a few months ago and the wing-span was well over 20 inches.

Chris.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/12/2019 at 16:58, bentwaters81tfw said:

Someone's on the make.

Van Gough was in a similar situation, throughout his life he struggled financially and never made any money from his paintings and now years later, his paintings go for hundreds of millions. Did you notice the seller doesn't ship to the UK? The price is equivalent to £225, gold prices sure are going down!

Alan

Darn! I should have sold mine on at that price.

Never mind, it's on the bench and coming along nicely. Do you have any use for a pile of resin dust? Going cheap...honest!

Just looked, he's dropped it to $195.99 with just under 3 hours to go.

He says the dust is toxic. As he's in California, it's probably illegal to own or build one there. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3377397375626039&id=568092553223216

Just loaded up a video kit review of the 1/48 Fairey Gannet AEW.3. I have reached an agreement with Icelandic Fine Art Models to acquire the masters and will be working with

RESIN2detail

to produce an updated kit with 3D printed detail parts and hopefully a few extras like options for folded wings and dropped flaps. Thanks to Alan Wilson for making this model and making it available for future offerings.

safe-image-1.jpg

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/flyingSmodels/posts/3417600738272369

Working on the 1/48 Gannet AEW.3 wing upgrades. The forthcoming kit will be offered with options to drop the flaps and we are also working on a folded wing option. Other upgrades are in work for the wheel bays and cockpit so stay tuned for future post on those.

116269186-3417600551605721-3135650467281

V.P.

• Like 1