The Gannet is back....and more. 1/48 AEW

bentwaters81tfw

Spent a very interesting time talking to Alan Wilson (from Iceland) who produced the 1/48 resin Gannet AEW3 at Milton Keynes today. He has refined and re engineered the masters and improved his clear castings. The Gannet will be available again shortly. Keep an eye on this forum, as Alan intends to join the community as a manufacturer. He also spoke to Julien today and will be contacting Mike over a trading membership.

Now, the fun doesn't stop there. This guy is a design engineer, and has manufactured masters for the following - (he had them there and I inspected them)

1/72 scale VC10

1/48 scale Vulcan

1/32 scale Buccaneer

1/144 scale Saro Princess

Other masters not present cover 1/72 Hastings  and 1/72 Shorts Belfast.

He expects to have the Belfast available in around 6 weeks.

These will be hollow cast resin, and will require some skills. They are not shake and bake. 

These masters were taped together and on display. Fine engraved surface detail. He actually produced these decades ago as part of his draughtsman's degree.

Now I own one of his Gannets, and there are examples of the 1/144 Bristol Brabazon available now. The casting on the Brabazon is like porcelain!

Be prepared to stump up resin prices and do some work, but these beauties exist in the flesh, and will be available direct from Alan in the near future.

Just a point. Alan lives in Iceland and email answers - when he gets going - can take a day or two. He has a regular job as well as this sideline.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Alan is a nice bloke and he said if anyone has a Gannet and needs a new canopy as the original had some issues I believe, then just contact him for one as he has refined his clear casting.

I think in part he was hesitant to enter the market as he says his stuff does need more work than normal plastic models. If people acceot that then all will be fine. This is good as he looks like he could bring us kits not seen else where. The masters for the Vulcan looked impressive, as did the Bucc.

Julien

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2019 at 03:51, Admiral Puff said:

This could get expensive ...

Can't see anything in that listing that I don't need (sorry, want :whistle:) so yes, it could get expensive!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hub Plott said:

Very interested! Just an FYI the email in the original post is apparently no longer valid as it bounces back as undeliverable.

Yes, there should be a corrected one somewhere. It's only 1 character out.

It's .co.uk not .com

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
Updated

On 4/28/2019 at 9:27 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Now, the fun doesn't stop there. This guy is a design engineer, and has manufactured masters for the following - (he had them there and I inspected them)

1/72 scale VC10

1/48 scale Vulcan

1/32 scale Buccaneer

1/144 scale Saro Princess

Other masters not present cover 1/72 Hastings  and 1/72 Shorts Belfast.

He expects to have the Belfast available in around 6 weeks.

These will be hollow cast resin, and will require some skills. They are not shake and bake. 

These masters were taped together and on display. Fine engraved surface detail. He actually produced these decades ago as part of his draughtsman's degree.

Do you have any photos of the masters on display? :) 

Cheers,

WV908

I didn't take any. I don't think Julien did either.

The Vulcan and the VC10 were superb, on their wheels. The Bucc looked like a brick, as it should, and true to Blackburn's idea, almost looked made in a solid lump. There were gear doors and the like lying around.

I know he was going to refine the masters a little before making moulds, and knowing how quick people are to criticise, it seemed unfair to show stuff that was not the final item.

Take it from me, I would have bought them as seen.

• Thanks 2

Posted with kind permission from Alan,

a photo he sent me of the Buccaneer (with the Vulcan just poking in) - look at the Gannet for scale! 

46856816875_e3a4cf2823_b.jpg

Alan reckons he may have the Bucc and Vulcan ready around November time and has put a minimum three month timescale on the Gannet reissue. 

That Brabazon look tasty, but the Buccaneer... wow!! 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTX said:

Is that a CVA-01?  What scale?

Hi GTX,

I’ve asked Alan and this is his direct answer :)

The carrier is CVA-01, 1/700 scale. I use to sell it to scratch builders who would do everything else. It only comes with the hull and island, nothing else. You can now get 3d printed aircraft from Shapeways for the ship

Cheers,

WV908