Triumph TR2

This is the simpler Gunze kit but uses a few PE parts from the overly-complicated multi-media kit of the same car. I cut a piece of wire mesh from a tea strainer to replace the grill - probably not accurate but looks better IMO. Other than that it's pretty much box stock.

This and the XK 120 I posted are the only two British subjects I've built, there being not much available in my favoured medium of plastic in 1.24/5th scale. A shame as I grew up in British (and Australian) cars in New Zealand and have fond memories of them. I compensate for this lack with a collection of classic British 1.43rd diecasts. But future posts from me will be mostly American cars.

it12_4_19TR2Kit12_4_19IMG_4929-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

it12_4_19TR2Kit12_4_19IMG_4928-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

it12_4_19TR2Kit12_4_19IMG_4927-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

it12_4_19TR2Kit12_4_19IMG_4924-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TR2Kit12_4_19IMG_4920-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

it12_4_19TR2Kit12_4_19IMG_4925-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• Like 22

Lovely, as always from you, Peter... I'm not sure whether I've seen this one before, but always worth another look! You made a better job of wrangling the vinyl interior parts into place than I did, that's for sure! My only small suggestion would be to run a wash into those shut lines, especially the doors. If you can find a Games Workshop stockist near you, Citadel Paints do dark washes specifically for green... Coelia Greenshade or Biel-Tan Green look like the current incarnations...

All the best,

M.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 15:39, malpaso said:

Lovely model.  But why  “N” 1974/75 number plates? 🤔 Do they come with the kit?

On 28/04/2019 at 18:34, keefr22 said:

That paintjob looks perfect - just about spot on for the age of car (even if the number plates aren't....:) )

Beautiful model!

Keith

On 28/04/2019 at 18:44, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Beautiful model, well-photographed.

Thanks very much.

The plates came with the kit and I must confess to having no knowledge of the UK's (or any other country's) system.

On 28/04/2019 at 19:01, cmatthewbacon said:

Lovely, as always from you, Peter... I'm not sure whether I've seen this one before, but always worth another look! You made a better job of wrangling the vinyl interior parts into place than I did, that's for sure! My only small suggestion would be to run a wash into those shut lines, especially the doors. If you can find a Games Workshop stockist near you, Citadel Paints do dark washes specifically for green... Coelia Greenshade or Biel-Tan Green look like the current incarnations...

All the best,

M.

Matthew, you have seen this before. I put it on another site when I finished it about 3 years ago. I'm new here and am putting up older builds to increase traffic - in the assumption that most members won't have seen them.

I actually don't like washes in gap lines. To me they always look like washes in gap lines. Doing it before any paint is applied seems to work best but I've never remembered to do that before it was too late. (I'm 69 😏)

23 hours ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

"Just like the real thing" (except less rusty... or leaky) stunning build and I agree with your notes of too few classic British cars in 1/24 scale (not even a truly descent DB5 or e-type???) 

Andy.

Thanks Andy. True about the Aston and the E-Type: there are models but they're not that good. Why doesn't Tamiya do those two? I'd build practically any 50s to 70s British car if it were done well.

22 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely build,is it just me or can anyone else hear the theme from Bergerac.....

22 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

The Bergerac character drove a 1949 Triumph Roadster. 😉

22 hours ago, Ian T said:

Lovely work and photography. 

20 hours ago, Spiny said:

After the Jag, this is another beautiful job. And more than anything else, I would have to say that you certainly have a way with paint - that finish is superb.

5 hours ago, tom2112 said:

Phantastic paintwork, I love it!

Thanks so much everybody. The paint is Tamiya primer from a can, airbrushed Zero colour, then Tamiya TS13 clear coat. I then fine sand it with 4000 and 6000 polishing cloths. After that I use Tamiya coarse polishing paste followed by Novus 2 and finally automotive wax.

1 hour ago, peekay said:

Thanks very much.

The plates came with the kit and I must confess to having no knowledge of the UK's (or any other country's) system.

Don't worry, the UK plate system has to change every 20 years or so since they started with an A suffix in 1963, obviously Government not realising cars might still be around by 1983 when they got to the end of the alphabet!  Not worth explaining to someone abroad unless they're planning to buy a car in the UK, as far as I know we're the only country in the world with reg plates to give away the age of a car from 75 feet away!

On 29/04/2019 at 21:11, Kingswear1 said:

Lovely model, not sure about "N" reg.!

On 29/04/2019 at 21:42, malpaso said:

Don't worry, the UK plate system has to change every 20 years or so since they started with an A suffix in 1963, obviously Government not realising cars might still be around by 1983 when they got to the end of the alphabet!  Not worth explaining to someone abroad unless they're planning to buy a car in the UK, as far as I know we're the only country in the world with reg plates to give away the age of a car from 75 feet away!

Thanks for your comments. I don't think I'll ever understand the fascination with number plates. The Swiss MOT puts certain numbers up for auction and people pay thousands for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peekay said:

The Swiss MOT puts certain numbers up for auction and people pay thousands for them.

Same here, some have been sold for more than my house is worth!

The only thing with the N reg on your model is that it's illegal in the UK to display a plate that makes the vehicle appear newer than it is, and the TR is way too old to carry that reg..

Still a fantastic model anyway!

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...