Monogram F-106A 1/48

Last built this kit about 20 years ago & it stands up really well against more modern offerings.  There's the more recent Trumpeter kit of course which sells for at LEAST twice what you can pick up this one for & although I've never seen it in the box OR built, I doubt it's twice the kit.  Raised panel lines of course which requires care during assembly to avoid loosing them while sanding joints.  The undercard is a bit on the clunky side, plus I found the retraction struts a little too long but that may have just been me screwing up the assembly.  I attached the windscreen about 1.5mm too far forward but as the canopy was going to be open, no great shakes!  Decals from the kit.  Really enjoyable build.

20190428_113754_resized20190428_113706_resized20190428_113538_resized20190428_113506_resized20190428_113445_resized

20190428_113423_resized20190428_113414_resized

• Like 25

Lovely work on an old but still great kit.

I have built the Trumpeter F-106B as I got it cheap from Telford and it is the family version and it wasn't that much better than the Monogram kit;, engraved panel lines and maybe slightly better fit. I can't justify the Trumpeter A against this old beauty.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

beautiful 106!!!

You are the only person I know who has not mentioned the horrendous fit!!!

I started mine decades ago, and I still have to muster the courage to finish it off...

But I love the detail.

Congrats!!!

JR

31 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Graham,

beautiful 106!!!

You are the only person I know who has not mentioned the horrendous fit!!!

I started mine decades ago, and I still have to muster the courage to finish it off...

But I love the detail.

Congrats!!!

JR

The moulds are quite old now & mine was dated 1983; perhaps some examples are better than others but it really WASN'T a bad fit!  The only area to watch (on my example at least was) the top to bottom fuselage joint behind the wings & the nose cone.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 12:44 AM, redcap said:

Lovely finish on the ADC Gloss Grey - what paint did you use please as this looks spot on and in scale?

Gary

Cheers.  I used Xtracolour ADC Grey.  Great paint to use through the airbrush.

• Like 1