L Class Destroyer “HMS Lance”

Contiuing the theft of thread - the Airfix Magazine article mentioned, along with most other ship kit conversions from that publication, can be found at http://www.davecov.net/modelling/reference/airfixmagazinearticles/pdfs/article_pdf_list.htm, the L&M class one is at www.davecov.net/modelling/reference/airfixmagazinearticles/pdfs/March_1981_L_and_M_Class_Destroyers.pdf

Yesterday I primed the single 20mm cannon the main & aft masts. 

HMS Lance

This afternoon was as frustrating for me, as it was for the Australian bowlers at the G. I broke two of the Carley float mounts on port side, but I managed to do alright on the starboard side which was the first to be installed.  I’m very fortunate that Flyhawk come with some alternate plastic ones which were hurriedly prime late this afternoon.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

• Like 4

A very productive day this afternoon. 

The final lot of railing was a installed around the twin 4” guns with the plastic Carley Float mounts installed, which was followed by the installation of the Carley Floats themselves and that’s where I will the build at the moment until the paint turns up.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I never realised how small 1/700 was. That Humbrol tin is getting a bit rusty (I was looking for the nonchalantly whistling emoji but I can't find it)

Tom

Ah, that’s not a Humbol can btw, but a 1lt Dulux paint can as I got sick & tried of bending down and trying to hold the model at some stupid angle or position.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I know. I was trying for humour!

You can see the name in the bottom pic. 

Great work though, I've struggled to get that level of detail in 350.

Tom

My apologies Tom, I’m usually updating my afternoon works about 9:30pm local time while I’m half dope with night drugs. Which sometimes feels like I’m 3 parts piddle after a night at the baggies/ squaddies bar.

No need to apologise.

I honestly took no offence from your post. Not in the slightest.

That prescription sounds like a cheap night out in!

Stay safe and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Tom

• 6 months later...

HMS Hermes is almost finished apart from her Air Group, I’ve pull this wee L Class Destroyer out a couple of days ago. The main mast isn’t glued atm, as it’s not setting properly in it’s correct position.

Yesterdays afternoon work, with gluing the railing.

HMS Lance

This afternoons work, until the main mast give me the shits.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

https://flic.kr/p/2m8SVG1

• Like 4

The aft mast was glued on this afternoon after the some additional rigging was attached courtesy of one of Norman Friedman books. The 1st of the antenna wires between the aft & the main mast was attached. But unfortunately a few parts were broken as well & lucky I’ve got some spares.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, Alan W said:

Looking nice! Can I ask, what do you use for the rigging?

I've built a couple of 1/700 White Ensign kits, but haven't gone beyond the photo etch.

This is what I used for the rigging, I’ve tried some other stuff and I didn’t like. But I see others swear by it when the use it for their rigging.

1 hour ago, Exkiwiforces said:

This is what I used for the rigging, I’ve tried some other stuff and I didn’t like. But I see others swear by it when the use it for their rigging.

Sorry - am I missing seeing a link?

Well I’m getting closer to finally finishing this build off, was hoping to have the decals on this afternoon. But it didn’t exactly go to plan as the rigging took most of the after to do and slowly put the various parts that fell off over the last few days back on etc. 

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Alan W said:

Sorry - am I missing seeing a link?

Whoops sorry about that Alan, the Internet since the Darwin Lockdown has been like watching grass grow in the Nth’ern NT Dry Season bloody painful to say the least.

HMS Lance

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Exkiwiforces said:

Whoops sorry about that Alan, the Internet since the Darwin Lockdown has been like watching grass grow in the Nth’ern NT Dry Season bloody painful to say the least.

HMS Lance

Ok, thanks Exkiwi - I once used cotton thread to rig my Airfix HMS Victory - needless to say it picked up dust etc very quickly and looked awful! That was a 1/180 scale kit.

• 2 weeks later...