L Class Destroyer “HMS Lance”

Well I’ve started another L Class Destroyer “HMS Lance” by Flyhawk while I’m in Hospital attending a PTSD clinic here in Sydney. The is glued together and awaiting to be primed.

EC66D25B-FB9B-4D6A-A0CC-730B2FB7AED5

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Well this where I last left her, when I dragged her out of the cupboard yesterday afternoon.

HMS Lance

Well today I restarted back on the HMS Lance build, but things didn’t actually go according to plan today as I was hoping to do the ladders and rigging around the funnel. 

The ladders got done, but I had forgotten about the railing from the quarter deck & the upper deck which is hidden amongst the superstructure. 

Surprisingly the fitting of the railing went a according to plan late this afternoon, but one of the ladders fell off considering I used superglue WTF.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

• Like 2

Well not has happened so far with this build atm. Apart from 0Painting, with a wee bit of gluing. First the gluing side of thing, well did my first rigging around the funnel and I quite chuffed how turned out. I’ve decided to work from the bow to stern and so I’ve lost one capstan and nothing else yet touch wood, the 4” twins are glued and primed and wing searchlights are on.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

My biggest concern atm is my order for more paint hasn’t arrived yet as I don’t want my Matt Black paints that I have, as they have a shine on them once dried. 

Oh one other thing I pulled out the Flyhawk  instructions for the light German cruiser and Holy moly what a War & Peace that Project is gong to entail. Might finish off the two O Class & one E Destroyers before I even look at doing tackling that build. But mind you there is quite a lot in the stash atm including a few few DKM hulls.

• Like 2

Well I started on the bow/ main super structure section today. The twin 4” guns are in place and all of the bridge with its bits and pieces expect for the HACS turret which I will do tomorrow.

I’ve only just realised the my Tamiya rattle can light primer grey is the same colour and shade to the old Sovereign Colourcoats 507C, but I’m almost running out of it bugger.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

Great work on the funnel stays. Do they have connection points on the deck, or did you attach straight to the deck? 

Careful of the PE Radar on top of the HACS, it thin, fiddly and enjoys pinging off into your coffee. Everything else is looking the part, great stuff!

Geoff

Well it was PE day up the forward end of the ship which almost ended up in disaster as the yagi antenna fell into a pool of superglue which I managed to save it hence the look a bit wonky. 

The other mishap was again the radar assembly fell off its mount on top of the HACS due to a lack of superglue and almost lost to the carpet monster. 

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Great work on the funnel stays. Do they have connection points on the deck, or did you attach straight to the deck? 

Careful of the PE Radar on top of the HACS, it thin, fiddly and enjoys pinging off into your coffee. Everything else is looking the part, great stuff!

Geoff

Hi Geoff and thanks for the comments,

For the Funnel stays it’s all guess work and I don’t have much to go with apart from a few pictures in a couple of books and I have funny feeling that a book I have ordered would show where the exact position is.

Yep the Radar went walk about on a few occasions and almost lost it for good.

• Like 1

Got round to putting on the ships small boats, but I was peed off that I couldn’t get the small boats to lay straight & level on the davits not a happy trooper. Also I Decided to put the railing on first for the Pom Pom  platform which I slowly started to do late this afternoon.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

Did some touch up paint work on the Carly Floats and the Quad Pom Pom gun. Might see if I’ve got some spare parts to spruce up the Flyhawk Pom Pom gun?

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

I’ve decided to used the plastic main mast for this build since I made a dog man-vegetables on the Legion with my soldering skills, but will add the various PE bits & pieces. But again I’m a bit peed off with Flyhawk as they have added some moulded parts to the main mast and those who haven’t done a Flyhawk kit. Their plastic is very very soft with  great care it need at removing from the frames and a great deal of care while you do any mod’s or else it can go pear shape very quickly. 

The other disaster that is slowly unfolding at the moment is our great Postal Service, known as AusPost have completely made a absolute dogs man-vegetables of the Christmas time parcel service for the NT, to not only to the wife but to me as I’m going to run out of paint by Christmas for all my model builds or I’ll have to use Humbol or Tamiya so-called Matt/ Flat colours that have a shine that would make my old No1 Dress shoes look bloody outstanding for an all dancing singing, whistles & bells parade.

• Like 5

Well it was a slow day this afternoon as I find it hard to  concentrate on the build due to the massacre of the Indians at the Adelaide Oval during first test against India and Australia, even the poor stat man in the ABC commentary team was struggling to keep up as the Indian wickets fell in the 1st session of the 3rd

Did manage to add the up railing around B Turret, the Carley Floats either side of  the bridge.

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

Finished off the railing on the Quad Pom Pom  platform. Which I slowly glued  the Pom Pom gun into position, for only a bit railing to go ping. I didn’t bothered to any fine detail to the Pom Pom gun once a part flying off and called it a day.

HMS Lance

• Like 4

Well it was a very quiet day, with a average monsoon day. Listening to the Late John Clarke aka Fred Dagg about his early childhood in NZ, since the 1st Test of the Ozzie Summer ended inside 3 days after the massacre of the Indians yesterday in Adelaide 

Anyway back to today’s work on the HMS Lance build. As I said yesterday  it’s getting a bit desperate on the model resupplies from down Sth, so it’s trying to  prioritise before I have to crease. 

So I slowly started to add those already painted parts. Such railings torpedo hoists which I broke one as the plastic is soft. 

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

I think given the current situation I’m facing at the moment, I’ll probably get as far completed the minus both of the Ships Masts.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Absolutely agree about those funell stays - impressive level of detail and finishing all round B)

Rob

Cheers Rob,

It’s been a frustrating build so far as I’m not that happy at the way the small boats have turned out on the ships davits and the because Flyhawk”s plastic is soft. I managed to break of the main mast tripod legs, like I did with one of the torpedo hoists this afternoon. I was hoping to finish this build along with Ariadne build before Christmas and start back on the HMS Aurora build but Covid19 has certainly thrown a big end especially now that  Greater Sydney and possibly the state of NSW is more than likely to go into lockdown before the 24th. Which will mean no more Sovereign Colourcoat paints for the time being.

I probably shouldn’t complain as BoJo & his team, have made a complete dogs breakfast of the UK response to Covid19. The  Boxing Day Test is going ahead at the G and we are finally getting a decent wet season here in the Nth’ern part of Oz after 3-4 yrs of piddle poor wet seasons. 

Allen

Yesterday’s afternoon work, was a bit slow and frustrating as well.

The forward set of railings in are in place with Pom Pom and the emergency conning position railings have had a bit of touch up painting. 

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

Was in town yesterday morning so I popped into the Darwin Air Museum to buy two tins of Humbol paints their so-called Matt Black and Gun Metal for the 20mm guns and for the funnel cap. 

Well I broke both barrels for the 20mm guns and the funnel cap is in a semi gloss black WtF.

HMS Lance

On a brighter note the two rear twin 4” guns are in place and I’m slowly making a start on the Depth Charge positions around the stern area.

HMS Lance

• Like 2

The depth charges are now in place with no major issues and this time I’ve decided to still with the plastic hoists on this build unlike on the Legion build where is used the PE hoists. 

HMS Lance

HMS Lance

Tomorrow’s plan is to redo the 20mm canons, start doing the masts and put in the railings around to rear two twin 4”guns. 

Oh I don’t know what’s up with the Humbol Matt Black as it’s got more shrine than my pare of old spit polish ammo boots that I had the Army Cadets and later with NZ Scottish SQN?

Then it might be it for the time being until the mail situation sorts itself out. Then I might pull out the HMS Aurora build and see how I can get with that.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

Gidday, after seeing you build here I'm wondering if I can convert a Tribal class destroyer into one of these. They're almost the same beam I think, and similar length which I can alter.

As for paint, I no longer trust the Humbrol tin lid to tell me what's inside.

And it will be good to see HMS Aurora. Regards, Jeff.

Mast Day today, gee these Flyhawk masts a so fragile to work with and I’m even now wondering if it’s going work. But since I used superglue, I’ve pretty much committed myself after crossing the dreaded LD (Line of Departure) or the point of no return.

Looking back now probably should’ve use a brass rod for the central pole to add a bit more strength to the main mast along with the PE mast supports? 

The rear mast is almost done, just need to add a wee thingy of Jack pole or mast where the pirates fly the battle ensign from.

The new batch of 20mm cannons are done I probably should’ve order another set or 2 from 3D Models as might be needing some down the track.

HMS Lance

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, after seeing you build here I'm wondering if I can convert a Tribal class destroyer into one of these. They're almost the same beam I think, and similar length which I can alter.

As for paint, I no longer trust the Humbrol tin lid to tell me what's inside.

And it will be good to see HMS Aurora. Regards, Jeff.

I’m actually a fan of the Tribal  Class Destroyer, they just look right to me but so does the L Class armed twin 4” guns. I know from reading Norman Friedman’s Destoyer book that the Poms tried to standardise there Destroyer hulls throughout the war until they got to the Tribal, Battle & Daring Classes so your conversion may work, but some of the wiser members of the RN Brains Trust might worth asking as I’m afraid I’m just an ex Kiwi Recon  Trooper and a Ex RAAF Rockape with some fairly dodgy sea legs. 

Your Belfast conversion is most interesting to see, I must see if I’ve got some information in a couple of books I have in WW2 British Cruisers. 

I can’t wait to get my hands back on the Aurora build, as most of the parts are painted and ready to go. 

Humbol paints have really have gone off tap of late, but they are now really a backup for me nowadays since I brought Jamie’s paints. 

• Thanks 1

The destroyer hulls were standardised on the J/K class, which has a better bow than the Tribal and are a bit smaller.  However I'm sure that Airfix magazine did an article converting a Cossack into a Kelly - and all sorts of other things along the way.  The Tribals were prewar: the Battles were the first attempt at something larger. than the War Emergencies.

However, given the superior kits available nowadays, why bother?  Do the Tribal as a Tribal and buy an L or whatever you  prefer.  The Ls have different gunhouses and other details.

Gidday guys, thanks for the info. The reason I'd consider conversions is because I mainly build in 1/600 scale or thereabouts. Although I've done a few I find the 1/700 a bit small for me and I don't have the skill or the bank balance for 1/350. I restarted/continued with what I knew as a kid (Airfix ships) and have stayed with them because I like all my model ships the same scale for size comparison. And I have a few 'Cossack' kits to play around with, which I enjoy doing.

Anyway, enough about me, this isn't my thread but Exkiwiforces's.  🙂  Regards, Jeff.