Arethusa Class Light Cruiser “HMS Aurora”

Gidday Exkiwi, I'm sorry to here of your illness. It sounds like it is a recurring problem. I hope you improve soon.

I like those guns you're doing, and that crane. Much better detail than what I'm using, but then my models are rather cheap and they suit my skill level, so I guess I get what I pay for. Your build continues to look very good. Get well soon. Regards, Jeff.

Cheers Arnold,

Probably the only good thing a this tropical vector borne disease it slow leeches out of your system unlike the more common tropical vector borne like malaria or dengue which stays in your system and it’s likely to contribute to your cause of death down track. 

It’s been a slow build with this one like most of the ones during the 2020 and I made have to declare stumps on this yet again sometime this week if the paint on order doesn’t arrive. 

The guns are not to bad from Flyhawk, compared to some of the crap in 1/700, but they do lack a bit of detail like railings and the open ring sights. The other good bit about this kit and like most of the Flyhawk RN/ Commonwealth kits is you get a decent set of small spare parts.

I would prefer to build in 1/600 but there is not the variety as 1/700 has, which may be a problem with me down the track with my eyes. The other good thing about 1/700 size they are bigger enough or small enough depending on one’s POV to allow me to dabble making set/ scene special effects photography which I was quite good at according to old Henry Sunderland the Arts Teacher at High School (now the HOD Arts &  graphics at CHCH  Polytech/ TAFE for you Ozzie’s) and had I taken further at HS he said my mum I could’ve gone very far with it. So watch this space, if I can make it work. Might dabble in some diecast Aircraft first, just need to find the book that my brother nicked off me which our uncle had as a kid in Nelson.

• Like 1

Well not a lot was achieved today with amazing finish to the 3rd here in Sydney with the Indians almost pulling off a win, if they didn’t lose those 2 early wickets late yesterday afternoon and a early one in the first session this morning. Also I had a nasty tropical storm roll through this afternoon which upset the kids, but you wouldn’t know about it.

HMS Aurora

Anyway let’s get back to talking shop. I assembled the 4 twin 4” guns, but I forgot to primed them before I headed back to the house, whoops. Almost finished the aft turret, but I managed to lose 1 of the two bins as I was trying to tidy up where they are attached to the sprues and they flew across the desk.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

It look like I may have to called stumps at the end of the week IRT this build if the paint doesn’t arrive on Friday. I’m not sure if I will start another build or restart of the DKM builds, but I will end with same problem IRT the black paint saga. 

• Like 3

On 11/01/2021 at 21:50, Exkiwiforces said:

Well not a lot was achieved today with amazing finish to the 3rd here in Sydney with the Indians almost pulling off a win, if they didn’t lose those 2 early wickets late yesterday afternoon and a early one in the first session this morning. Also I had a nasty tropical storm roll through this afternoon which upset the kids, but you wouldn’t know about it.

HMS Aurora

Anyway let’s get back to talking shop. I assembled the 4 twin 4” guns, but I forgot to primed them before I headed back to the house, whoops. Almost finished the aft turret, but I managed to lose 1 of the two bins as I was trying to tidy up where they are attached to the sprues and they flew across the desk.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

It look like I may have to called stumps at the end of the week IRT this build if the paint doesn’t arrive on Friday. I’m not sure if I will start another build or restart of the DKM builds, but I will end with same problem IRT the black paint saga. 

Had I nice wee email from AusPost say the paints should be here by the 27th of this mth, even then they can’t  guarantee that either.

• 5 months later...

Well this build is the next one on the list for completion. The forward funnel was glued and I did the measurements for the forward mast as the plastic one is way to soft.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

The gibberish on the paper are the measurements for the forward mast. That I will start to construct tomorrow afternoon.

HMS Aurora

• Like 4

A wee bit of an update at where I’m at with Aurora build. The Fore Mast is coming along quite nicely atm, the length is a tad too long, but since I got this far I can’t be stuff fixing it. And who’s going to know outside of the purist?

Coming to a decision point, do I paint the mast & install it or do I go the whole hog & put the Radar Antenna, then paint & install? I really don’t want to push my luck atm.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

Coming to a decision point, do I paint the mast & install it or do I go the whole hog & put the Radar Antenna, then paint & install? I really don’t want to push my luck atm.

Gidday, I've scratchbuilt masts but in styrene, not brass, and I brush paint in enamels. Sometimes I build up a mast in situ but usually if I can I build as much of it as I can while separated from the model, particularly pole masts, such as HMS York and top masts. I usually paint as much as I can before fitting the masts to the model, leaving unpainted those areas that will need gluing. Once the glue has set then apply the paint to the joins. But that's just my way. HTH.

That mast assembly in the pin vice looks very good. Regards, Jeff.

Well after 4 afternoons the fore mast is finally finished. Now I’m too bloody scared to touch it, let alone paint it now.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

Edited by Exkiwiforces
Correct pictures are now uploaded.
  • Like 6

Nice work on that mast mate. Now that I've bit the bullet & caught up with this, its all looking well tidy, which is more than I can say for my state of mind, after catching up three pages of this, my sense of time is all shot to hell, I don't now whether I'm in the now, then or shortly to be, :unsure: :D I'll try & hang around a bit closer for the rest. :)

Steve.

So sorry folks, I’ve uploaded the worry bloody photo’s tonight. I’ll fix this cock up tomorrow morning. 

Anyway go the Italians as disappears under smokescreen for the tradesmen entrance.

Here’s a link to my Twitter page 

• Like 1

The correct pictures are uploaded & bit of a bugger with the English Football, was hoping they would win. Oh well better luck nexts time. The new manger must do right at last with this team unlike many others that have gone before.

Well I’ve a tab busy getting the garden beds organised, but I’ve managed to get a few hrs in the afternoon to do the aft mast for the HMS Aurora build. Unfortunately I had a few issues as the antenna fell apart just I was to about to glue it altogether & thence it’s a bit messy. 

The aft mast painted this afternoon and I probably won’t touch the again for a few days or sometime next as I’m getting my 1st jab tomorrow and I’m normally out bush this week as it’s my Comsuper Pension week today.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

https://flic.kr/p/2mbfGGw

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

• Like 6