Arethusa Class Light Cruiser “HMS Aurora”

6 minutes ago, Brian Derbyshire said:

Greetings Sir

So i gather from your WIP that colourcoats are available in Australia?

Cheers Brian

Yes Creative Models in Sydney are the only stockists in Australia. The paints are worth the price and I’ll put them up with Flyhawk’s Model Ships and the Resin Models by Atlantic Models. Heck even Sovereign Colourcoats website is full excellent research and even Jamie replying to questions to us folk here is wee gem which you can’t get anywhere else especially where I live in Australia. 

I’ve only got Alan Raven’s, David Hobb’s, Norman Friedman and Neil McCarts books and few other authors who do DKM books for reference and with such good service from Jamie and Colourcoats it’s a blessing for me especially if I’m back down the rabbit hole.

Enough ranting from me and I’ve included the a link to Creative Models. 

https://www.creativemodels.com.au/shopmastery_menu1.php?cat1=SOVEREIGN+COLOUR+COATS

Kia ora Exkiwiforces, quick note to say great thread and some mighty fine (in both senses of the word) work you got going on there. Agreed on the Colourcoats research - that's sold it for me!

Cheers!

-mike

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Exkiwi, how ya been? I've been wondering where you got to. Regards, Jeff.

Yeah I’m busy as a one blind arm Baghdad paper hanger atm. I’ve got the sparkie back tomorrow to do a couple of security lights and after that a quick trip the big green shed (Bunnings) for some skirting broads and a drop saw so I can do the skirt broads before I had out to bush estate at Dundee Beach as I’ve been told I have a work out there to do. The wife has said I need to be back in town on Monday for cracker night when the NT goes nuts, bonkers, crazy or just plain stupid with crackers as it makes Guy Fawkes night in NZ looks very plain and boring.

I probably won’t be back finishing any Models anytime soon atm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pakeha said:

Kia ora Exkiwiforces, quick note to say great thread and some mighty fine (in both senses of the word) work you got going on there. Agreed on the Colourcoats research - that's sold it for me!

Cheers!

-mike

Kia ora Mike,

Cheers for your comments mate, are you getting your paints from Glen at Creative Models? 

2 minutes ago, Exkiwiforces said:

Kia ora Mike,

Cheers for your comments mate, are you getting your paints from Glen at Creative Models? 

Hey XKF,

I have to go to the UK in September for work purposes, so hoping to get directly from Jamie, although how to get them home will be interesting - "flammable" items in airplane luggage? It may be that Creative will be my stop if I get to cross the Tasman in the coming months. *Really* good to know we have a source closer to home. Kia ora Glen!

Cheers

-mike

5 minutes ago, Brian Derbyshire said:

Greetings Sir

Thanks for the tip very useful,will need correct colours for ikara leander I,am working on now.

I have keyboard skills of a ape! so patience required

Cheers Brian

I’m bloody hopeless with my keyboard skills either with the laptop (the wife’s one as my crap itself) or using my iPad as I do these day since finished/ being medically discharged from the RAAF in Jul last yr.

Gidday Exkiwi, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I look forward to you continuing the models when you can.

1 hour ago, Brian Derbyshire said:

I have keyboard skills of a ape! so patience required

Gidday Brian, lucky you. I hope to improve myself to that level one day! 😁

Regards to all, Jeff.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Well I’ve had to crease the HMS Lance  for the time being as AusPost can’t organise a 1/2 decent mailing system for Xmas during a global pandemic.

Pull the HMS Aurora build out late this afternoon, but since the Australian batsman were dropping like dead flies around a outback thunder box like the Indians last week, not much work got done. 

Apart from reading/ research in Norman Friedman’s book British Cruisers from WW2. As the box art has HMS Aurora depicting, that Aurora has funnel stays and I was quite certain that there was none on Aurora as Friedman’s book had a line drawing of her.

HMS Aurora

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exkiwiforces said:

...since the Australian batsman were dropping like dead flies around a outback thunder box...

Love it!  [The expression, but come to think of it (as a Pom) the fact as well.  Steve Smith bowled behind his legs... blimey!]

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Love it!  [The expression, but come to think of it (as a Pom) the fact as well.  Steve Smith bowled behind his legs... blimey!]

It had to happen sooner or later with Steve Smith, if keeps leaving his leg stump exposed. It’s something that dad & I spotted last yr at the Boxing Day Test Match when we were sitting in the Southern Stand at roughly mid off. When the Kiwis noticed that his leg stump was expose and started setting a modern leg theory to him, which btw dad has never seen before in Cricket before at any level since I stopped playing cricket as I was Glenn Turner Viv, Beefy, Haynes, Greenedge roll into one with a bit of John Wight, M Crowe & Boycott. As the other team would try set a similar field to me, I couldn’t do it these days without breaking my body.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had to do some railing assembly this afternoon and I almost did a Barry Crocker, but I managed to save it in the end. 

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

I’m going to be  concentrating on the forward end of the ship the time being before I the midships and lastly the aft end of the ship. The HACS and the Gun Director are next cab off the rank and I probably leave the yagi antennas last with the masts as I almost lost the one for the HMS Lance build yesterday afternoon.

HMS Aurora

Anyway it’s fun doing this build as there is a lot more detail in this build p and thinking about your next move without the Complexity of playing chess.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

Well what another thrilling Test Match in NZ today and who said Test Match Cricket is Dead? Crikey if the Kiwis keep this up they would gain the No1 ranking and it’s shame we got duded in the WC Cricket by the bloody Poms as we could the World Test Trophy & the WC Cup as well.

Anyway let’s get back to the more in important stuff like the dark arts of building model ships, which rather like mystic dark art of gunnery.

Well I decided not to build the bridge up with its bits and bobs as like all things that are mystery to us all rather like their sports car’s because of their crap weather, the Poms like open bridges on their waka’s (war canoes). So the bridge would be last along with the Masts etc.

I had realised I had forgot to add the bracing under the Pom Pom platform which in the end fitted quite nicely thank god.

HMS Aurora

Added the railings around the B turret, which followed by the A turret and the supports for what I think is some sort derrick for to crane?

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

Prime 3 pieces, will it should’ve been four pieces left out a smoke stack/ pipe thingy late this afternoon.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

• Like 3

and the supports for what I think is some sort derrick for to crane?

Gidday Exkiwi, that derrick could be for the boom used to lower and recover the paravane used for mine sweeping. That model continues to look good. They were graceful cruisers and in my opinion the best looking, along with the Amphion (Perth) class. Personal taste of course, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. 

Regards, Jeff.

19 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

...the bloody Poms...

You are aware that this site is called “BRITmodeller”, I presume?  If you want to flaunt the corks around your hat or complete inability to pronounce the word ‘six’, i suggest you start your own upsidedown version... 😉  [Still smarting at your side’s inability to close out a final, eh?]

The open bridge thing was much debated even at the time; the argument in favour of open bridges was that any seaman should be completely aware of the weather in all its subtlety - even in my era, most Captains would insist on the officer of the watch keeping the bridge doors open in all weathers, for the same reason.  It was only the need to establish an air-tight boundary against gas / nuclear fall-out etc. that finally killed them off.

In the 80s I was talking to a German naval friend and asked him why the first Bundesmarine ships post-war (Rommell, Mölders and Lutyens) had open bridges: “oh, that’s easy; during the war we had closed bridges and the Brits had open bridges: you won!”  [He was joking, but not 100%]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You are aware that this site is called “BRITmodeller”, I presume?  If you want to flaunt the corks around your hat or complete inability to pronounce the word ‘six’, i suggest you start your own upsidedown version... 😉  [Still smarting at your side’s inability to close out a final, eh?]

Well I could say the same thing about the English Rugby Team that peaked to soon when it really counted and look like a deflated Zeppelin against the Saffa’s in the final. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today was more a painting day and installing 3 items.

I in stalled the HACS director, fire control director for the main guns and the  lantern which is not a lantern but a type of surface Radar.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

The parts painted are various bits and bobs that I require to either build or paint tomorrow around the midship area.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

• Like 2

Well I could say the same thing about the English Rugby Team that peaked to soon when it really counted and look like a deflated Zeppelin against the Saffa’s in the final. 😉

Yet your lot couldn’t even beat them...

50783179701_4a0486a110.jpg

[Truce, for everyone else’s sanity?]

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yet your lot couldn’t even beat them...

50783179701_4a0486a110.jpg

[Truce, for everyone else’s sanity?]

Here’s the reason why the lost English Rugby Team lost to the Saffa’s

Warren Gatland said in a interview in NZ on his return to Mooloo HQ (Waikato). The real reason why England didn’t win the Rugby World Cup in Japan, as Eddie Jones’s ego got the better of him as he  wanted beat the AB’s and forgot what his real objective was and that was to win the World Cup. Because he wanted to show the ARU he still beat the AB unlike the muppet who was in charge of the Wallabies at the time. As Eddie wanted his old Wallabies job back, but who wants a Rugby Coach who has more hot air than someone farting while doing the dance of the flaming a**holes around the Wardroom. Yep Obviously England RU do, with another 3-4 in the wilderness until the next WC. 🤔 just like the English Football Team.

Oh by the way I’m not a true AB supporter as I do perfer them to lose now and again, as it’s keep them humble unlike a few others I know. Which why I was piddle off when they lost to the Argies. As the Argies were paying a 10/1 for a win as usually put a hundred on the Pumas. 

I recall there is a military lesson from my Recon Tankie days during Crew Commanders, never forgot your Strategic Intent or was it the Commanders Intent anyway words to that effect. As he drives off in hail of bullets and popping more smoke than a bunch grunts/ booties doing the tunnel of love.  😂 

Truce accepted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a lot done today. Mainly gluing the ships small boats to the por side or assembling the many small motor boats and with a bit of touch up paint at the end of the day.

Also I did the 2 Quad 2pdr (40mm)) AA guns, which were also primed for tomorrows painting.

HMS Aurora

• Like 2

A very quiet day on the modelling front this afternoon. Placed the Carley floats on, the ships small boats and I started on the ships crane.

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

With some paint on the 2 2pdr Quads and that was that. Really not much to report.

HMS Aurora

Oh btw I’ll out Bush for a few days from tomorrow at our Bush Estate and see how things going are out there during the Wet.

• Like 1

WA very quiet day on the modelling front as I have been laid up with viral infection which is a result of me picking a funky vector borne disease when I was in East Timor during INTERFET in 99.

I finished off the ships crane and installed the two quad 2pdrs this afternoon

HMS Aurora

HMS Aurora

I started on the 4 twin 4” guns this afternoon until a afternoon storm rolled through which made my wee jack get a wee bit sulky. So I retreated back over to the house, also the cricket was getting a bit interesting in the final session of play in Sydney and it was a bit of a bugger that the Indians lost to 2 wickets before stumps. As I was hoping to see them with at least 100 without lost or at  100 for 1 wicket down, leaving them to chase down 300 odd with 3 sessions remaining at a 100 runs per session.

HMS Aurora

• Like 1