Arethusa Class Light Cruiser “HMS Aurora”

EEA29AA5-A0E7-4A97-B596-F0D76E04AFB2

Glued the hull and waterline together ready for priming  while I’m staying in Hospital for PTSD in Sydney as we Zero Clinics in Darwin and also you would notice I have another L Class Destroyer in the background just to keep me busy. But wait I have a big surprise coming up on another ship build, but more on that later.

• Like 5

Today after a day of solid work on both the L Class Destroyer HMS Legion and on the HMS Aurora with the wooden deck down and along parts of the superstructure fitted.

1136444D-0B8F-4DE8-A222-5BEFA5F52D46

Edited by Exkiwiforces
Finally got the pic to upload
  • Like 6

You'll be done with this long before I am if you keep this up!

No issues with fit to warn you about so far as I've gotten, just the usual pinging into the distance of the small parts when you try to remove them. I'm trying to keep most of the smaller bits (ready lockers etc) attached to stubs of the spruces for painting. 

May mean a few less pieces go missing? Or is that wishful thinking?

Geoff

On 29/04/2019 at 07:27, Bugle07 said:

You'll be done with this long before I am if you keep this up!

No issues with fit to warn you about so far as I've gotten, just the usual pinging into the distance of the small parts when you try to remove them. I'm trying to keep most of the smaller bits (ready lockers etc) attached to stubs of the spruces for painting. 

May mean a few less pieces go missing? Or is that wishful thinking?

Geoff

I’ve decided to keep the small stuff on the spruces, after losing 4 or 5 smaller parts on the HMS Legion build as they have a blue carpet in the hobby/ craft room here on the Ward unlike at home where I have white tiles in the study.

I’m finding the Flyhawk kits such a joy to build, as much as I enjoyed it when I did my first Resin build with my J Class and its going to be a huge step down when start building my Tamiya kits down the track.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Flyhawk is in another league of its own in terms of value, detail and quality in 1/700, also Flyhawk could give certain resin models a good run for its money and it’s going to be a huge step down to Trumpter, Tamiya, Revell and other ships that are waiting to be built.

Either that I splash out and buy Atlantic Models or Combrig (the WW2 RN big gun monitors) which do cost a bomb because of the exchange rate and are only reserve for special occasions.

I mentioned somewhere else on another thread that I said all I need is Flyhawk, Sovereign Colourcoats  and the odd aftermarket set and I’m almost in heaven. That pretty much sums up my renaissance IRT modelling now, no more filling, mixing paints and trying to scratch build etc.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

I mentioned somewhere else on another thread that I said all I need is Flyhawk, Sovereign Colourcoats  and the odd aftermarket set and I’m almost in heaven. That pretty much sums up my renaissance IRT modelling now, no more filling, mixing paints and trying to scratch build etc.

You have no idea how heartening it is to hear something like that!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You have no idea how heartening it is to hear something like that!

Jamie, it’s a credit to you and other members of your team, to have such a quality product and even to have it backed with equally good quality research as well. Which to me and no doubt others that lurk here, and who practice the dark art of building model ships more in enjoyable as I/we don’t have to mix paint and guess what the colour is or tone etc anymore.

P.S I’m pointing more people towards Sovereign Colourcoats paints and asking them to give it a try.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

OK, I’ll bite: I can see Aurora & Legion, but what’s that on the horizon - St Laurent FF?

Gidday Exkiwi, would it be HMAS Vendetta? And HMS Aurora, now that she has her main teeth, it's a milestone I think. Regards, Jeff

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

OK, I’ll bite: I can see Aurora & Legion, but what’s that on the horizon - St Laurent FF?

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Exkiwi, would it be HMAS Vendetta? And HMS Aurora, now that she has her main teeth, it's a milestone I think. Regards, Jeff

The grey ship way on the horizon is “HMAS Vendetta” an Australian built Daring Class Destroyer post early 70’s after their major rebuilds  that occurred after the Vietnam War and other warlike operations in the SEA theatre with the Commonwealth Navies out of Singers. I’m hoping to restart this weekend as the f’wd main mast has been giving me a few headaches atm. Once this is done it will be primed and painted really for the aftermarket parts from Shapeways. The hull of “HMS Lance” is also hiding in the background as well. The big problem I’m now facing with the “HMS Aurora and Lance” builds is that I’m now running out of 507C (thinners can only go so far) paint rather quickly (should’ve brought an extra tin of 507C with me) and the next shipment of Sovereign Colourcoats won’t arrive at Creative Models Australia around June sometime.

Hi,

We're talking with Creative now. One think you should be aware of is that this next shipment will be the first of our new NARNxx range, so they wont be the same as the discontinued RNxx range.

Because of that, I'd suggest giving all the remaining RN03 507C to finish it in one colour. The new NARN22 isn't drastically different, but enough to notice on the same model.

Primed the main guns today for the “HMS Aurora” build. Was about to start working on the bridge after tea, but I lose two capstans to the blue carpet monster and running out of Super glue as well, I decided to call it a day while I was ahead.

28CF9050-7D56-4F7E-877D-E9E05A5AFAC0

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi,

We're talking with Creative now. One think you should be aware of is that this next shipment will be the first of our new NARNxx range, so they wont be the same as the discontinued RNxx range.

Because of that, I'd suggest giving all the remaining RN03 507C to finish it in one colour. The new NARN22 isn't drastically different, but enough to notice on the same model.

I’ve been following your posts about your NARNxx range and the current research over on the Sovereign Colourcoats website and I sort of gathered that I will have to use up my old stock first or else I have interesting colours schemes. But it’s good to see the new range is making its way down under and my last email from Creative was they were looking into to some marketing with the next shipment of Sovereign Colourcoats. Mind you I’m doing my bit as well at tell people to gave Sovereign Colourcoats a try or at least pop over to the website and have a look at the research and the various range of paints etc.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

All going well I see, you'll be done in no time!

Geoff

I have a funny feeling I may run out of paint atm as I’m going through 507C like I’m drinking few amber ales after a day on the fire line.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Haha 2

Better to run out of paint, and still be able to build, than run out of time, and get nowt done!

(He says creeping very quietly towards his Aurora hoping SWMBO doesn't hear and force me to start on the hideously long list of jobs she has for me this weekend...)

Geoff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Better to run out of paint, and still be able to build, than run out of time, and get nowt done!

(He says creeping very quietly towards his Aurora hoping SWMBO doesn't hear and force me to start on the hideously long list of jobs she has for me this weekend...)

Geoff 

I might get through now as I adding thinners to it, but the main rate of effort will be the Daring  Destroyer “HMAS Vendetta” build as I need to have the priming done and completed by COB tomorrow night. So you might get ahead of me as I want the “HMS Legion” build at least 90- 95% complete before I pack it up for the trip back to Darwin.

• Like 1

The main guns on the “HMS Aurora” were painted this afternoon with Sovereign Colourcoats 507C. Will be cracking on with the “HMAS Vendetta” build tomorrow

080C5977-F9AC-472F-A997-4A259A92DE5A

• Like 2

This afternoon I did a wee bit of work on the “HMS Aurora” build, doing mainly the bridge and a little bit the superstructure area where the would go. Anyway I might show you these to pictures, of just how Flyhawk Kits are the bee’s knees atm and just to prove they are human after all.

The first pic is that, I decided to replace the plastic ladder with a PE, but wee gap where the PE ladder goes is just a tag wee small for it. So I had to enlarge it and I sort of got a little carried away, but anyway after a couple of attempts got the ladder in after I had glued the bridge to the tower thingy.

0A8BDB15-5F0A-41AC-ACFD-9446E592FE4B

As you can see in picture 2 just how smart that little brass ladder looks on the bridge and I’m thinking I’ll leave it unpainted for this build (give the defaulters or young YO’s something to polish) as it looks so cool and refreshing at the detail that Flyhawk is trying to achieve with its brand of model ships in 1/700.

C5AC8373-2947-4B07-82EF-7CA4AC28F38B

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday Exkiwi, I'm enjoying following the build, plus it is very educational. I didn't know that HMS Aurora was the trial ship for the new twin 4.5-inch turret. 😀 Regards, Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m back in Darwin atm, but the last two weeks I’ve been a little busy catching up deferred maintenance around the house, as result all of my ships are stuck on the shipway for the time being. As I’m been fitting out the Tp SGT’s office inside my Tank Hanger, I’m finally glad it’s getting finished with power connected last week and the wife and I have laid the carpet down this weekend.

15FE0620-4EB1-4DA9-8644-79FC1F030357

EFDB5F51-1A26-4FA3-9AAB-801C7903F165

The model of “HMS Aurora” prior to packing up at the hospital for the trip home.

DE1747D2-9B32-42DB-8D06-484A59EF3373

18DC7D06-A8F5-4531-A497-519C5955D06D

The current s**t fight atm as I’m unable to display my diecast collection of planes, tanks and Britain soldiers or watch the giggle box or do ang research for the next project etc. 

189AB2D4-5829-41F8-A50D-FF6A4D22DA63

1962FD42-89F5-4E67-B723-A3F6DBFE436D

3D6B9E3C-2CFC-4C8C-A22A-A4F932AAE4A1 image

• Like 4