Academy 1/72 F-16 A

Valkyrie

My first F-16 and my first Academy so hoping il not have to fight the falcon. I would like to change the version from the box art to hopefully an in service version from US or even another Air Force. So any assistance for an A or how I could upgrade this kit so I could do that I’d be super appreciative. 

46804168505_c6b758ec16_b.jpg

• Like 2

The F-16 can be a fun one depending how picky you are about being 100% accurate.  It sounds like that kit is of a prototype, which has some differences between it and line aircraft, though you can likely get away w/ a very early (Block 1 to Block 10) bird from the late '70s, very early '80s.  Tracking down the right decals from that era might take some time.

And earlier discussion on this actual kit.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013589-academy-f-16a/

What seems to be a decent resource for all the variants...and there are a lot of them.  F100, F110.  Wide mouth, small mouth.  Various blisters/bulges.  Parachute, no chute.  Mix and match of all the above.  http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions.html

Edited by helios16v
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, helios16v said:

The F-16 can be a fun one depending how picky you are about being 100% accurate.  It sounds like that kit is of a prototype, which has some differences between it and line aircraft, though you can likely get away w/ a very early (Block 1 to Block 10) bird from the late '70s, very early '80s.  Tracking down the right decals from that era might take some time.

And earlier discussion on this actual kit.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013589-academy-f-16a/

What seems to be a decent resource for all the variants...and there are a lot of them.  F100, F110.  Wide mouth, small mouth.  Various blisters/bulges.  Parachute, no chute.  Mix and match of all the above.  http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions.html

These are brilliant links and info thanks Chris! I am not too fussed on 100% accuracy I just wanted to churn out my first falcon to get a feel for the build, look and type before delving into deciding to make others. Think I will go for the early Norwegian AF version if I can source the decal set.

5 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Yeah, I try not to get too caught up on 100% accuracy too.  It's supposed to be fun damnit!  😁

You are right Chris...Ok on that note il perhaps widen the search and go with something that looks good despite the version.

Thanks again 

Look into the visual differences in intakes (small mouth/large mouth), tail & horizontal stabs (Block 15 went to larger items...not sure how much larger the visual difference is), and some of the later ones used different engines which to my eyes would be one of the biggest differences (but also probably the easiest one to fix).  Hardpoints were added to the intakes w/ the Block 15 as well.

Once you know the differences, you'll have a feel for whether or not it's a big enough change to bother you when someone mentions it after the fact.

I'll keep an eye on this to see what direction you go with it.  I've got a couple 1/72 Hasegawa kits (twin pack) in the stash for sometime down the road.

Edited by helios16v
  • Thanks 1

I posted a couple of links up in the chat pertaining to your question. I found these links that may help. Hopefully they will give you a direction to go in.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article3.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_operators

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Academy 1/72 F-16. Decals look really bright and sharp, pity I won’t be using them. Kit looks pretty neat too however the instructions are basic with only 8 steps.

33881243018_3a6ccc0390_b.jpg

Oh the ups and downs of modelling. The carpet monster has eaten my freshly decalled instrument panel so that meant I could just crack on with the airframe. Never built a falcon and always wanted to, but I don’t think I’ve achieved a good standard tonight. That’s most of the parts glued together it is reminiscent of a kit you would get inside a cereal box. Definitely looks like a falcon though the nose looks a bit upside down and the fit isn’t perfect. Let this stick together over night.

i tried these dspiae nippers and I must say they are pretty good and also treated myself to a Swann Morton scalpel. Fingers still intact. Weekend in Edinburgh and il hopefully get to stop in an Wonderland Models if SWMBO allows. It’s either that or the football as my team happen to be playing in Edinburgh on Saturday too

32815929387_3f7452ff28_b.jpg

Bit of filling I think. I’ve been lucky in the past with kits

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Decals arrived from Australia today, so work can recommence on sanding the wings ahead of painting her up in Israeli Netz scheme, need to pick which one as this decal sheet is so big the instructions come on a DVD complete with suite of Netz walk round photos.

Edited by Valkyrie

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all. A little progress with the F-16A. The build is mainly complete and even though I nearly cut my hand off with my new Swann Morton scalpel trying to cut a hole for my display stand I managed to get some primer on. My decals all the way from Australia for a Netz look brilliant however the instructions are on a cd which I don’t have anything to view them on!

Think she looks quite nice in tamiya rattle can fine primer..

48154632097_a035ee8f01_b.jpg

• Like 1

You're doing a great job with not great material! The Academy/Minicraft "F-16A" (not to be confused with the Academy F-16C/KF-16C) is basically a knock-off of Hasegawa's vintage YF-16A - hence the peculiar nose shape, amongst other shape/detail issues compared to the production-series Vipers. When the time comes to paint the Israeli camouflage you may find the fuselage is a tad short from wing aft, as was true of the prototype the kit is based on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

My decals all the way from Australia for a Netz look brilliant however the instructions are on a cd which I don’t have anything to view them on!

I did an Israeli F-16D a couple of years ago with decals from Isradecal. They were second hand and i had no instructions. I wound up downloading dozens of photo's to paint and decal the plane. Maybe that will be your best option too ? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis, I’ve been on Pinterest and there’s lots of Israeli 16s on there. So used it for the paint scheme and looks like il follow your advice and try it for decals too. Any pics of urs? Thanks, as always 

16 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

You're doing a great job with not great material! The Academy/Minicraft "F-16A" (not to be confused with the Academy F-16C/KF-16C) is basically a knock-off of Hasegawa's vintage YF-16A - hence the peculiar nose shape, amongst other shape/detail issues compared to the production-series Vipers. When the time comes to paint the Israeli camouflage you may find the fuselage is a tad short from wing aft, as was true of the prototype the kit is based on.

Yeah it’s a pretty basic duff kit and no sooner as I read your post I wondered why I ran out of space on the wings for the camouflage patter. The nose is like a witches but it’s given me the taste to buy a decent 16. This was only £8 at a show. Thank you for the encouragement too 

Well a decent shot at the camouflage, all brush painted hataka revell Akan and Hobby color, not bad, then there’s no light as it’s after midnight. Let this cure tonight and il see what I have got to use for the underside blue grey colour tomorrow 

A gloss then decal fun....

48155455337_a1e1dca2f0_b.jpg

Here you go, its an F-16D Barak its the early version upgraded. The newer ones are known as "Sufa's". I used an Hasegawa 1/48 B/D kit from the late 80's or early 90's. 

MHE6u9r.jpg

maelYc6.jpg

f6KRL3d.jpg

I know the colors aren't the most accurate but this was done when i only had rattle-cans. This is a decent website if you haven't seen it already. 

https://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/f-16/F-16.html

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, she looks great, the camo demarcation is really nice. The colours look good too. I would like to try the barak and sufa now, maybe once I’m up a few years of experience though. I’ve not seen that website, thanks for that il give it a good look for some late night reading

• Like 1

Started decalling this one, the israeldecals are quite nice and no issues so far. Few paint touch ups will be required but overall happy with the progress. I will need to do some panel line shading and another few varnishes on the top should refine the finish on the paint/surface. Enjoying this one.

48173063992_30e0416fdc_b.jpg

• Like 3

Here we are over the line. I will definitely be building another F-16. This kit was only bought as an appetiser and a last minute bid to get involved in this GB. The isradecals were brilliant but the instructions and host of photos come on a cd which I had nothing to view on, but got there via Dennis’ top tips. Paints, tamiya extra fine spray primer, sand colours were Hataka blue line for brush painting RLM 79 a and b, blue green was Revell sky and underside was just the primer light grey which was a good match. Already looking at a better F-16 kit to have a proper slow shot at making a decent Netz.

48203062947_5578905d3a_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I must have been in a hurry back in July, not to have commented on this so I take the chance to do so now, I like what you've done with this, I've several F-16 kits destined to wear IDF colours, for my money, their aircraft wear some of the best schemes going, especially for F-16s & yours catches that nicely. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1